Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, it might be just mixing up the brothers. Connor and Ryan are both forwards. Ryan is a depth guy, who gets in every once in a while.

If anything, it would have been a couple odd games in Mike's freshman year, but for sure his sophomore and junior seasons, he's been exclusively at D.

That might be what it was. I know it definitely wasn't this year, so

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
[mod]

http://www.herbbrooksfoundation.com/page/show/739442-herb-brooks-foundation-board-and-staff

I wonder if that helps or hurts him in terms of choosing the Wild. Could the Blue Jackets have a case for tampering if he chose Minnesota? I'm not sure if there is any precedence for a case like this.
I doubt it would have any affect at all. You can't stop family from talking to each other. Just as long as it's not brought up in public. Remember, Parise's Dad was all "Zach wants to come home and play for the Wild" over and over... had he been a Wild staff member, that might have been a problem airing it out in public like that.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
Thinking ahead here and I know I might get ripped for this but **** it. Seems to me Folin is legit, definitely as a bottom pairing guy, possibly a too pairing guy moving forward. Combine that with the fact that we have Oloffsson coming at some point as he continues to improve and the assumption (yes I know it's not set in stone but I'm saying assuming during this hypothetical) we sign Reilly as a UFA, that gives us quite the log jam on defense.

With Spurgeon's contract coming up next summer, does that make him expendable? Or perhaps Folin if Fletcher is dead set on keeping Spurge. I've been trying to figure out a trade where we trade Spurgeon+ to a team with some center depth for a true #1 center who is also around 25.

Best I came up with so far is:

To NYI: Spurgeon/Folin, Kuemper, 4th

To MIN: Anders Lee, 2017 2nd

Thoughts? Other ideas?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No way would the Islanders do that deal... they have tons of prospect depth on D and Anders Lee will be a fixture at forward that they've been looking for.

Spurg's time isn't up here yet. I think he gets another short deal, and may be traded during that deal if our D-prospects develop properly.

What Folin is doing, is finally going to push the Wild past the need for someone like Prosser in the lineup. Don't get me wrong, Prosser has played well in this last stint... but he is not the type of player you want to round our your 6-D with, but the Wild have been forced to because of lack of depth that is seemingly coming to be a non-issue now.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
No way would the Islanders do that deal... they have tons of prospect depth on D and Anders Lee will be a fixture at forward that they've been looking for.

Spurg's time isn't up here yet. I think he gets another short deal, and may be traded during that deal if our D-prospects develop properly.

What Folin is doing, is finally going to push the Wild past the need for someone like Prosser in the lineup. Don't get me wrong, Prosser has played well in this last stint... but he is not the type of player you want to round our your 6-D with, but the Wild have been forced to because of lack of depth that is seemingly coming to be a non-issue now.

Oops I meant to switch Lee with Nelson. Confused the Minnesota kids. But yeah I don't know. I haven't minded prosser's play and I think he's a serviceable bottom pairing guy who plays his roll pretty well. I just think Spurgeon is going to want too much cash and we have depth at the position so why not see if you can spin him for a youngish #1 center which we need badly in my estimation.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Oops I meant to switch Lee with Nelson. Confused the Minnesota kids. But yeah I don't know. I haven't minded prosser's play and I think he's a serviceable bottom pairing guy who plays his roll pretty well. I just think Spurgeon is going to want too much cash and we have depth at the position so why not see if you can spin him for a youngish #1 center which we need badly in my estimation.
Spurgeon isn't going to bring back a #1 NHL Center.

Again... Prosser is what he is... we've been forced to play him a lot.. but there's a reason top teams like St.Louis didn't even consider him to be an NHL player for their team. If we want to get to that top tier, we need better bottom pairing players than Prosser. Folin can be one of those.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
Spurgeon isn't going to bring back a #1 NHL Center.

Again... Prosser is what he is... we've been forced to play him a lot.. but there's a reason top teams like St.Louis didn't even consider him to be an NHL player for their team. If we want to get to that top tier, we need better bottom pairing players than Prosser. Folin can be one of those.

Spurgeon alone, no but in a package he could be enticing for a team in need of an offensive D man. Problem is you can have too much depth on defense to the point where Oloffson or any other d prospect we bring up won't get playing time because we have way too many defensemen. Makes more sense to me to try and move a position of strength to try and reinforce a position of weakness.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We're in no danger of another D-man being ready to make the jump as of yet though. Olofsson hasn't even played this year due to injury... so he still needs AHL time.

It's too early to think about moving Spurgeon... if one of the next round of D-men develops next year, we can think about packaging Spurgeon in a deadline move next season to help with the potential playoff run.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
I get the feeling that granlund isn't totally untouchable at this point. But you'd have to get a slick young C in return which means it's unlikely that trade is even possible.

I guess I'd like to see granlund as the long term 1b/2 C rather than the #1 guy. I don't know how the wild finds a future #1 guy but I just don't know if it can be granny...love him though

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I get the feeling that granlund isn't totally untouchable at this point. But you'd have to get a slick young C in return which means it's unlikely that trade is even possible.

I guess I'd like to see granlund as the long term 1b/2 C rather than the #1 guy. I don't know how the wild finds a future #1 guy but I just don't know if it can be granny...love him though

Granlund still has a future here even if it is as a #2 C... he's young and plays well at that important position. He's the guy you latch onto now long term and work on finding a #1 to go with him... Koivu's time is getting shorter each year. He's the guy that the team will eventually have to move on from.

Maybe during the search for that #1, you move Coyle, and bump Koivu down to the 3rd line as you bring in/develop a possible #1.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
how do you upgrade spurgeons production & pmd capabilities for a reasonable cap hit? whos available? look what leddy & niskanen are making.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
how do you upgrade spurgeons production & pmd capabilities for a reasonable cap hit? whos available? look what leddy & niskanen are making.

Leddy was overpaid by a team that needs to spend money. Niskanen got lucky being probably the #1 overall UFA D during the offseason.

Spurgeon will get a massive pay raise on the FA market though. Teams like Arizona, Florida, Montreal would throw the cash to have a mobile, shooting Dman who isn't afraid to block shots.

I like Spurgie, but you would hope this team would learn to think 2-3 years down the road with their veteran players and what their role really is. Imagine if they did that with Brodziak 2 years ago. Probably could have actually recooped a pick at the very least for him.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
If we trade spurgeon and don't get an NHLer back that's an awful trade.

But for who and what? The forwards are all pretty much taken care of and there is a bottleneck now. The Defense is pretty much taken care of with exception of probably the 5th Dman if you keep JL as the 6th D. Goaltending I think has been addressed, especially if DK can get back into form.

The only player not resigned for long term that will most likely be a staple on this team is Granlund.

Meanwhile, the depth chart gets super thin down in Iowa. All the prospects have matured and are playing in MN or have moved on. This team needs to start getting the cupboards ready again. Spurgeon could be the one who brings in a good prospect or 2 that can develop down there with Lucia, Tuch, Olofsson and Gus.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
But for who and what? The forwards are all pretty much taken care of and there is a bottleneck now. The Defense is pretty much taken care of with exception of probably the 5th Dman if you keep JL as the 6th D. Goaltending I think has been addressed, especially if DK can get back into form.

The only player not resigned for long term that will most likely be a staple on this team is Granlund.

Meanwhile, the depth chart gets super thin down in Iowa. All the prospects have matured and are playing in MN or have moved on. This team needs to start getting the cupboards ready again. Spurgeon could be the one who brings in a good prospect or 2 that can develop down there with Lucia, Tuch, Olofsson and Gus.

I like this because continuing off of this line of thinking, besides an elite #1 center, all of our needs would still be addressable in free agency.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I wonder what we could get for Cooke? We don't have much room for him. Cap hit is 2.5M in 2015-16 and he's an UFA after that.

Billy Mays Here*

I wonder what we could get for Cooke? We don't have much room for him. Cap hit is 2.5M in 2015-16 and he's an UFA after that.

Not sure he's worth trading with the injuries he's had this season. Probably wouldn't get much, if anything. Never thought I'd say this but I actually wouldn't mind seeing Brodziak re-signed, keep him until Graovac is ready to take a permanent spot in the line-up.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
And you know this how??? I bet a lot of teams would have interest in him

Sure, but not at the price we would be willing to trade him for (3rd). He's a good player but do you really think people want someone that is known as the dirtiest player in the NHL?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Saw a thread on the main board gauging values of sharks player. Would really love Pavelski or Couture.

There is no way we get Pavs from them though. I honestly think he would probably be the only one untouchable on that entire roster.

And you know this how??? I bet a lot of teams would have interest in him

Who wants an over-30 year old player with a history of questionable hits and already is in repeat offender status? Not to mention now has missed a lengthy part of the season because of injuries and when he was playing was not an offensive threat? He doesn't fight, and is more just to be an agitator?

Frankly, I think we were the only team that put out an offer for him when he was signed and the only reason I believe he was signed was for veteran presence in the locker room and to fill the gap if the kids didn't pan out.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
The 2 years before he signed he had 21P in 48G and 38P in 82G. That is great production for a 3rd line player. I am sure he had plenty of teams interested in him at the time.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
The 2 years before he signed he had 21P in 48G and 38P in 82G. That is great production for a 3rd line player. I am sure he had plenty of teams interested in him at the time.

Points are a great thing for some teams, how they carry themselves on the ice is another aspect I'm sure many teams look at when it comes to him. He is not exactly known as a respectable hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad