Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
not saying this is the case, but we might have forwards playing more hurt than the team would care to admit at this point.

Yeah, Keranen was going to play over Vanek because of some lower-body injury, so a definite possibility that some people are dealing with lingering injuries.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
To ya'll that are worried about team chemistry, Bergenheim came in and we beat the best team in the NHL.

Chemistry (or lack there of) takes more than one game to develop/lose. I don't think it'll be an issue, just saying.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
not saying this is the case, but we might have forwards playing more hurt than the team would care to admit at this point.
But the Wild had Veillux, Sutter, Graovac and Bickel waiting in the wings if a forward went down!

Anyone who doesn't think this was a smart get should stop and think about that for a second.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
To ya'll that are worried about team chemistry, Bergenheim came in and we beat the best team in the NHL.

yes but he didn't break up a line with chemistry all he did was take Veilleux's spot an now with Stewart coming in he will have to be breaking up a line with Chemistry at this time and so it'll probably be the weather that'd be the third line or 4th, all it means is someone who is performing well will need to be scratched and that's most likely Fontaine or Schroeder. While I am not saying this is a bad trade as we have no idea how this trade will have worked out I am just saying he will have to be taking a spot of a player who is playing well as the 4th line especially is our best line at this time.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Bergenhiem and stewart I think bring something to this team we lack...Toughness add in cooke and carter when they get back and we don't look like the softest team in the league anymore.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
yes but he didn't break up a line with chemistry all he did was take Veilleux's spot an now with Stewart coming in he will have to be breaking up a line with Chemistry at this time and so it'll probably be the weather that'd be the third line or 4th, all it means is someone who is performing well will need to be scratched and that's most likely Fontaine or Schroeder. While I am not saying this is a bad trade as we have no idea how this trade will have worked out I am just saying he will have to be taking a spot of a player who is playing well as the 4th line especially is our best line at this time.

We have a lot of very tough Western Conference games remaining this season. Adding Stewart means Yeo won't have to consider inserting Bickel into the line-up when we play STL, ANA, WPG, or LA.

Another thing, if you don't think we'll see a couple more players go down with injury between now and season's end, you're fooling yourself. Adding Stewart means adding more depth.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
the more i've thought about it, the more important i think it is to keep Brodziak in the lineup. We've been taking more penalties than i'm comfortable with lately (deserved or not) and Brodziak sucks up a lot of those minutes so other's don't have to.

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
the more i've thought about it, the more important i think it is to keep Brodziak in the lineup. We've been taking more penalties than i'm comfortable with lately (deserved or not) and Brodziak sucks up a lot of those minutes so other's don't have to.

I tend to agree. I've been very critical of his stone hands in the past, but he's been burying penalties with the best of them lately.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The only reason to bench Brodziak is if Carter is healthy. Carter can play both center and wing too, so we wouldn't lose the versatility in the lineup in case of injury. He brings a more physical game and still eats up pk minutes.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
from the off-topic veering in a different thread and relating to trading away picks...how many of the last 10 cup teams owed their success (both the playoffs/finals and the road there) wholly to players drafted and developed within their system, and how many top 5 picks to they have?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
how many of the last 10 cup teams owed their success (both the playoffs/finals and the road there) wholly to players drafted and developed within their system, and how many top 5 picks to they have?

It's much more complicated than that. How many prospects that the team drafted and then traded for have made an impact? different GMs also have different visions. Based off your criteria, let me see what I can find.

2014 -
LA Kings - Anze Kopitar (11th overall), Drew Doughty (2nd overall), Dustin Brown (13th overall), Tyler Toffoli (47th overall), Jake Muzzin (unsigned/undrafted), Tanner Pearson (30th overall), Dwight King (109th overall), Alec Martinez (95th overall), Slava Voynov (32nd overall), Kyle Clifford (35th overall), Trevor Lewis (17th overall), Jonathan Quick (72nd overall).

So, (1) top 5 pick. They had others that they traded. As well, many of these picks were within years of each other. They ended up with 12 guys they drafted...

2013 -
Chicago Blackhawks - Patrick Kane (1st overall), Bryan Bickell (41st overall), Jonathan Toews (3rd overall), Duncan Keith (54th overall), Andrew Shaw (139th overall), Dave Bolland (32nd overall), Brandon Saad (43rd overall), Niklas Hjalmarsson (108th overall), Marcus Kruger (149th overall), Brent Seabrook (14th overall), Ben Smith (169th overall), Brandon Bolling (undrafted), Corey Crawford (52nd overall)

So, Chicago had (2) top 5 picks on their team. Lots of role players. 13 players they drafted.

2012 -
Los Angeles Kings - See 2014. They also had Jordon Nolan (186th overall), Andrei Loktionov (123rd overall). 12? again

2011 -
Boston Bruins - Daniel Krejci (63rd overall), Patrice Bergeron (45th overall), Brad Marchand (71st overall), Milan Lucic (50th overall), Tyler Seguin (2nd overall), Tim Thomas (undrafted)

(1) top 2 pick. They had others but none stuck on the team. This team most resembles the Wild in terms of how many players they drafted vs free agents. 6 guys they drafted.

2010 -
Chicago Blackhawks - See 2013. They also had Dustin Byfuglin (245th overall), Troy Brouwer (214th overall), Adam Burish (262nd overall), Jordan Hendry (undrafted). Again around 13ish.

2009 -
Pittsburgh Penguins - Evengi Malkin (2nd overall), Sidney Crosby (1st overall), Maxime Talbot (234th overall), Kris Letang (62nd overall), Tyler Kennedy (99th overall), Jordan Staal (2nd overall), Rob Scuderi (134th overall), Brooks Orpik (18th overall), Alex Goligoski (61st overall) (also Satan won a Stanley Cup that year!)

So, this is the team everyone thinks you need a bunch of top 5 picks for since they had 3. 9 guys they drafted.

2008 -
Red Wings - Pavel Datsyuk (171st overall), Henrik Zetterberg (210th overall), Nicklas Lidstrom (53rd overall), Jiri Hudler (58th overall).Tomas Holmstrom (257th overall), Johan Franzen (97th overall), Valtteri Filppula (95th overall), Niklas Kronwall (29th overall), Brett Lebda (undrafted), Tomas Kopecky (38th overall), Matt Ellis (undrafted), Dallas Drake (116th overall), Derek Meech (229th overall), Mattias Ritola (103rd overall), Darren McCarty (46th overall), Jonathan Ericsson (291st overall), Kyle Quincey (132nd overall), Darren Helm (132nd overall), Chris Osgood (54th overall)

No one in the top 5 picks. 19 guys they drafted.

2007 -
Anaheim Ducks - Shane O'Brien (250th overall), Corey Perry (28th overall), Chris Kunitz (undrafted), Dustin Penner (undrafted), Drew Miller (186th overall), Stanislav Chistov (5th overall), Ryan Shannon (undrafted), Ryan Getzlaf (19th overall), Andy MacDonald (undrafted), Tim Brent (75th overall), Ryan Carter (undrafted)

(1) top 5 pick LOL and he sucked. Lots of undrafted guys. Strangely enough, no top 4 drafted defensemen. 11 guys they signed, drafted.

2006 -
Carolina Hurricanes - Eric Staal (2nd overall), Erik Cole (71st overall), Craig Adams (223nd overall...and drafted by the Whalers!), Chad LaRose (undrafted), Andrew Ladd (4th overall), Josef Vasicek (91st overall), Niklas Nordgren (195th overall), Michael Zigomanis (46th overall), David Gove (undrafted), Keith Aucoin (undrafted), Niclas Wallin (97th overall), Danny Richmond (31st overall), Cam Ward (25th overall)

So, (2) top two guys. 13 of their guys.

So, we have some extremes (Boston, Detroit) but around 10-13 guys drafted seem to end up on the team and playing some role for their organization in the playoffs.

Just for comparison sake:

Mikael Granlund, Justin Fontaine, Erik Haula, Mikko Koivu, Jason Zucker, Jonas Brodin, Matt Dumba, Christian Folin, Nate Prosser, Marco Scandella, Jared Spurgeon and Darcy Kuemper for the Wild.

So about average.

I will say Minnesota has better defense but most of the teams drafted better offense than Minnesota - which fits their MO.

Last edited:

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Bergenhiem and stewart I think bring something to this team we lack...Toughness add in cooke and carter when they get back and we don't look like the softest team in the league anymore.

Then the wild lacks scoring with those three. Can't win games if cant score.

Streetcandy

Jan 9, 2015
But the Wild had Veillux, Sutter, Graovac and Bickel waiting in the wings if a forward went down!

Anyone who doesn't think this was a smart get should stop and think about that for a second.

Value wise its a decent deal and it also adds a bit of something we're missing. What I would've liked to see is maybe send some players away as our playoff bench will likely look better than many teams 4th line. Perhaps Carter for a conditional pick with the condition being the number of games he plays? This would offset the cost a bit and maybe give us something to trade next year as I'd hate to trade a 1st but I doubt many teams will bite on an 18 2nd.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
from the off-topic veering in a different thread and relating to trading away picks...how many of the last 10 cup teams owed their success (both the playoffs/finals and the road there) wholly to players drafted and developed within their system, and how many top 5 picks to they have?

How many teams in the last 10 years have been composed wholly of players drafted and developed within their system?

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
It's much more complicated than that. How many prospects that the team drafted and then traded for have made an impact? different GMs also have different visions. Based off your criteria, let me see what I can find.

2014 -
LA Kings - Anze Kopitar (11th overall), Drew Doughty (2nd overall), Dustin Brown (13th overall), Tyler Toffoli (47th overall), Jake Muzzin (unsigned/undrafted), Tanner Pearson (30th overall), Dwight King (109th overall), Alec Martinez (95th overall), Slava Voynov (32nd overall), Kyle Clifford (35th overall), Trevor Lewis (17th overall), Jonathan Quick (72nd overall).

So, (1) top 5 pick. They had others that they traded. As well, many of these picks were within years of each other. They ended up with 12 guys they drafted...

2013 -
Chicago Blackhawks - Patrick Kane (1st overall), Bryan Bickell (41st overall), Jonathan Toews (3rd overall), Duncan Keith (54th overall), Andrew Shaw (139th overall), Dave Bolland (32nd overall), Brandon Saad (43rd overall), Niklas Hjalmarsson (108th overall), Marcus Kruger (149th overall), Brent Seabrook (14th overall), Ben Smith (169th overall), Brandon Bolling (undrafted), Corey Crawford (52nd overall)

So, Chicago had (2) top 5 picks on their team. Lots of role players. 13 players they drafted.

2012 -
Los Angeles Kings - See 2014. They also had Jordon Nolan (186th overall), Andrei Loktionov (123rd overall). 12? again

2011 -
Boston Bruins - Daniel Krejci (63rd overall), Patrice Bergeron (45th overall), Brad Marchand (71st overall), Milan Lucic (50th overall), Tyler Seguin (2nd overall), Tim Thomas (undrafted)

(1) top 2 pick. They had others but none stuck on the team. This team most resembles the Wild in terms of how many players they drafted vs free agents. 6 guys they drafted.

2010 -
Chicago Blackhawks - See 2013. They also had Dustin Byfuglin (245th overall), Troy Brouwer (214th overall), Adam Burish (262nd overall), Jordan Hendry (undrafted). Again around 13ish.

2009 -
Pittsburgh Penguins - Evengi Malkin (2nd overall), Sidney Crosby (1st overall), Maxime Talbot (234th overall), Kris Letang (62nd overall), Tyler Kennedy (99th overall), Jordan Staal (2nd overall), Rob Scuderi (134th overall), Brooks Orpik (18th overall), Alex Goligoski (61st overall) (also Satan won a Stanley Cup that year!)

So, this is the team everyone thinks you need a bunch of top 5 picks for since they had 3. 9 guys they drafted.

2008 -
Red Wings - Pavel Datsyuk (171st overall), Henrik Zetterberg (210th overall), Nicklas Lidstrom (53rd overall), Jiri Hudler (58th overall).Tomas Holmstrom (257th overall), Johan Franzen (97th overall), Valtteri Filppula (95th overall), Niklas Kronwall (29th overall), Brett Lebda (undrafted), Tomas Kopecky (38th overall), Matt Ellis (undrafted), Dallas Drake (116th overall), Derek Meech (229th overall), Mattias Ritola (103rd overall), Darren McCarty (46th overall), Jonathan Ericsson (291st overall), Kyle Quincey (132nd overall), Darren Helm (132nd overall), Chris Osgood (54th overall)

No one in the top 5 picks. 19 guys they drafted.

2007 -
Anaheim Ducks - Shane O'Brien (250th overall), Corey Perry (28th overall), Chris Kunitz (undrafted), Dustin Penner (undrafted), Drew Miller (186th overall), Stanislav Chistov (5th overall), Ryan Shannon (undrafted), Ryan Getzlaf (19th overall), Andy MacDonald (undrafted), Tim Brent (75th overall), Ryan Carter (undrafted)

(1) top 5 pick LOL and he sucked. Lots of undrafted guys. Strangely enough, no top 4 drafted defensemen. 11 guys they signed, drafted.

2006 -
Carolina Hurricanes - Eric Staal (2nd overall), Erik Cole (71st overall), Craig Adams (223nd overall...and drafted by the Whalers!), Chad LaRose (undrafted), Andrew Ladd (4th overall), Josef Vasicek (91st overall), Niklas Nordgren (195th overall), Michael Zigomanis (46th overall), David Gove (undrafted), Keith Aucoin (undrafted), Niclas Wallin (97th overall), Danny Richmond (31st overall), Cam Ward (25th overall)

So, (2) top two guys. 13 of their guys.

So, we have some extremes (Boston, Detroit) but around 10-13 guys drafted seem to end up on the team and playing some role for their organization in the playoffs.

Just for comparison sake:

Mikael Granlund, Justin Fontaine, Erik Haula, Mikko Koivu, Jason Zucker, Jonas Brodin, Matt Dumba, Christian Folin, Nate Prosser, Marco Scandella, Jared Spurgeon and Darcy Kuemper for the Wild.

So about average.

I will say Minnesota has better defense but most of the teams drafted better offense than Minnesota - which fits their MO.

**** man, that's some solid work. Somebody hire this dude for something.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Their scouting department is comprised of mostly former defensemen. This is a scouting department issue with Guy Lapointe to blame.

Makes sense. I think Minnesota is still on their way but most of the other teams got an elite 25-30 goal scoring center that they drafted and developed. Even Boston.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Thinking of how much free agency impacts one team?

Anze Kopitar - 11th overall pick

Justin Williams - (traded for Patrick O'Sullivan and a 2nd round pick) (Patrick O'Sullivan was taken 56th overall was traded with a 1st round pick for Pavol Demitra) (Pavol Demitra was a FA signing)

Jeff Carter - (traded for Jack Johnson, 1st round pick) (Jack Johnson traded with Oleg Tverdovsky for Eric Belanger and Tim Gleason) (Eric Belanger was drafted 4th round 96th overall) (Tim Gleason was traded for Bryan Smolinski) (Bryan Smolinski along with Marcel Cousineau, Zigmund Palffy and a 4th round pick were traded for Josh Green, Olli Jokinen, Mathieu Biron and a 1st round pick) (Josh Green was the 30th overall pick) (Olli Jokinen was the 3rd overall pick) (Mathieu Biron was the 21st overall pick)

Marian Gaborik - (Traded for Matt Frattin, 3rd round pick and 2nd round pick) (Matt Frattin traded with Ben Scrivens and a 2nd round pick for Jonathan Bernier) (Jonathan Bernier was drafted 11th overall)

Drew Doughty - 2nd overall pick

Dustin Brown - 13th overall pick

Tyler Toffoli - 47th overall pick

Jake Muzzin - Drafted by Pittsbrugh, undrafted free agent pick

Tanner Pearson - 30th overall

Dwight King - 109th overall pick

Mike Richards - (traded with Rob Bordson for Wayne Simmonds (61st overall pick), Brayden Schenn (5th overall pick) and a 2nd round pick)

Alec Martinez - 95th overall

Slava Voynov - 32nd overall pick

Kyle Clifford - 35th overall

Jarret Stoll - (traded with Matt Greene for Lubomir Visnovsky) (Lubomir Visnovsky was the 118th overall pick)

Trevor Lewis - 17th overall

Willie Mitchell - FA signing

Matt Greene - (Traded with Jarret Stoll for Lubomir Visnovsky)

Robyn Regehr - (Traded for 2nd round pick in 2014 and 2015 draft)

Jeff Schultz - Free Agent

Jordan Nolan - 186th overall

Jonathan Quick - 72nd overall

Martin Jones - Undrafted Free Agent
---

LA signed two free agents, Jeff Schultz and Willie Mitchell. They also signed two UDFA. A lot of their team is compromised of draft picks. 7 of their players came from trades. Breaking down the trades:

They gave up a total of 8 draft picks and received at least 1 back (I didn't chase down some of the players).

Their most complicated trade was Jeff Carter where it began with Josh Green, Olli Jokinen and Mathieu Biron all former 1st round (or well in Green's case a 2nd round pick). There is a lot of movement on that trade.

They have done well in the 2nd round and some later rounds as a lot of their depth is made up of that. They also moved a lot of depth players around. Ultimately, the Kings were built on a lot of prospect trades, some draft pick trades and developing their young guys. It took some time as well.

What does that have to do with Minnesota? Minnesota is built way different than Los Angeles:

Zach Parise - FA Signing

Jason Pomvinille (traded with a 4th round pick for a 1st, 2nd round picks, Matt Hackett and Johan Larsson) (Matt Hackett taken 77th overall) (Johan Larsson taken 56th overall)

Thomas Vanek - FA signing

Mikko Koivu - 6th overall

Ryan Suter - FA Signing

Nino Neiderreiter - (traded for Cal Clutterbuck and a 3rd round pick) (Cal Clutterbuck taken 72nd overall)

Mikael Granlund - 9th overall

Charlie Coyle - (traded with Devin Setoguchi, 1st round pick for Brent Burns and 2nd round pick) (Brent Burns was taken 20th overall)

Jason Zucker - 59th overall

Justin Fontaine - Undrafted Free Agent

Marco Scandella - 55th overall

Jared Spurgeon - Drafted, signed free agent

Kyle Brodziak - (traded with a 6th round pick for a 4th round pick and a 5th round pick)

Ryan Carter - Waiver pickup

Jonas Brodin - 10th overall

Erik Haula - 182nd overall

Mathew Dumba - 7th overall

Christin Folin - Undrafted free agent

Matt Cooke - FA signing

Jordan Schroeder - FA signing

Nate Prosser - Waiver pickup

Devan Dubnyk - (traded for a 4th round draft pick)

Keith Ballard - FA signing

Niklas Backstrom - FA signing
---

Minnesota has a lot more free agent signings than LA. 7 guys plus 3 more that were drafted/undrafted free agents. We have less trades. We have 7 trades with 3 picks coming back. We also have 2 more waiver wire pick ups.

What's interesting is that Minnesota has 6 top 60 picks and 1 pick in the late 100s playing on the team.

Los Angeles had 8 top 60 picks and 4 from beyond that.

Teams are built different, yadda yadda yadda but taking away the free agent signings - it might remove Williams, Schultz and Mitchell from LA but they mainly built their team through trading of young guys or drafting - LA would be a strong team. Taking away Parise, Suter, Vanek, Cooke, Schroeder, Backstrom from Minnesota? That's another story.

Last edited:

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
How many teams in the last 10 years have been composed wholly of players drafted and developed within their system?

I was thinking more along the lines of the main contributors. the top 3 point producing forwards, top pairing of defensemen, starting goalie. I mean, Gaborik lead the league in playoff points, right?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Andrew Ladd - (traded for Tuomo Ruutu) (Tuomo Ruutu was taken 9th overall)

Patrick Kane - 1st overall

Dustin Byfuglien - 245th overall

Patrick Sharp - (traded with Eric Meloche for Matt Ellison and a 3rd round pick) (Matt Ellison was taken 128th overall)

Duncan Keith - 54th overall

John Madden - FA signing

Kris Versteeg - (traded with a conditional pick for Brandon Bochenski) (Brandon Bochenski traded for Tyler Arnason) (Tyler Arnason was taken 183rd overall)

Brent Seabrook - 14th overall

Troy Brouwer 214th overall

Niklas Hjalmarsson - 108th overall

Jonathan Toews - 3rd overall

Tomas Kopecky - FA signing

Brent Sopel - FA signing

Colin Fraser - (traded with Jim Vandermeer and a 2nd round pick for Alexei Zhamnov and a 4th round pick) (Alexei Zhamnov traded with Craig Mills and a 1st round pick for Jeremy Roenick) (Jeremy Roenick taken 8th overall)

Brian Campbell - FA signing

Ben Eager - (traded for Jim Vandermeer)

Marian Hossa - FA signing

Cristobal Huet - FA signing

Jordan Hendry - undrafted free agent signing

Dave Bolland - 32nd overall

Antti Niemi - Undrafted free agent signing

Bryan Bickell - 41st overall

Biggest signing was Hossa. They got help by really sucking. They had 6 free agent signings, two undrafted free agent signings. I think they would have been an okay team because Hossa would have had an impact along with Campbell. Without Niemi (like Backstrom)...it would be interesting.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
There's been some speculation that Gopher Dman Mike Reilly won't sign with CBJ if he decides to leave school. He's a great skater, and has great vision and hockey sense. Also a left hand shot.

Man, if we could get him here...

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
GMCF seems to show interest in at least one college UFA every year...Its actually a great way to grab late blooming talent without expending any other assets besides cash. Having plenty of college kids growing up in MN should net the Wild with some opportunities to woo kids who dream of playing in front of friends/family. Like Toronto/Montreal being a destination to fulfill Canadian childhood dreams, MN has a similar advantage of being in State of Hockey...

All that said, Reilly would be a nice catch for the Wild organization...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad