Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Welcome to Part 11.

If you have a problem with something someone wrote, here are three options:

1. If you disagree with their opinion, write an opposing response to it and stay civil

2. If you believe they violated site rules, click on the "Yield" symbol under their avatar to report it to moderators

3. Ignore it and move on

Keep your cool and keep the sarcasm to a respectful minimum.

Stay on topic.

Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1808585

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So, going into next season what does our cap space look like if the cap doesn't rise? I think we have 66.497 this season, with Brodziak being the biggest contract that we have getting knocked off and Ballard after that and Harding. Though Brodin, Scandella and Coyle having the biggest cap numbers. I'd say we're sitting at around 72.504 million roughly next season without Granlund, Haula, Folin, and Dubynk being signed. Around 1.34 million in dead cap space if we buy out Backstrom. If we buy out Backstrom, we drop to 70.427 million.

J22*

Parise(7.5) Granlund(RFA) Vanek (6.5)
Zucker (900K) Koivu (6.75) Pominville (5.6)
Niederreiter (2.66) Coyle (3.2) Schroeder (600K)
Cooke (2.5) Haula (RFA) Fontaine (1.0)

Suter (7.5) Brodin (4.16)
Scandella (4.0) Spurgeon ( 2.66)
Folin (RFA) Dumba (1.12)

Kuemper (1.25)
Backstrom (1.25 buyout)
Dubnyk (UFA)

That's just under $60M with needing to sign Granlund, Haula, Folin, Dubnyk and adding 2 or 3 (extras)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Granlund at $2.5
Dubnyk at $2.5 (conservatively)
Haula at $1
Folin at $1
13th F and 7th D at $1.5 total

Puts us at ~$68.5 million next year. Plenty of room.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Parise(7.5) Granlund(RFA) Vanek (6.5)
Zucker (900K) Koivu (6.75) Pominville (5.6)
Niederreiter (2.66) Coyle (3.2) Schroeder (600K)
Cooke (2.5) Haula (RFA) Fontaine (1.0)

Suter (7.5) Brodin (4.16)
Scandella (4.0) Spurgeon ( 2.66)
Folin (RFA) Dumba (1.12)

Kuemper (1.25)
Backstrom (1.25 buyout)
Dubnyk (UFA)

That's just under $60M with needing to sign Granlund, Haula, Folin, Dubnyk and adding 2 or 3 (extras)

I've got a feeling Granlund might be trade material.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I've said before but, if Granlund and Spurgeon gets you a legit Center, I would be all over it.

I don't think it does though. #1 centers cost a LOT!

I'd rather trade multiple first round picks etc for McDavid.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Granlund at $2.5
Dubnyk at $2.5 (conservatively)
Haula at $1
Folin at $1
13th F and 7th D at $1.5 total

Puts us at ~$68.5 million next year. Plenty of room.

That's pretty low for Granlund considering Coyle got $3.2 and Nino got $2.6.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's pretty low for Granlund considering Coyle got $3.2 and Nino got $2.6.

Granlund's going to get a "prove it" short deal... Coyle got higher because of length. Nino at $2.6 is the better comparable. Expect Granlund to get a 1-2yr (maybe 3 but I expect 2 is most likely) deal around Nino's number to show he can stay healthy and improve on his numbers.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Coyle got $3.2m because the deal was for 5 years. I'd be surprised if Granlund went longer than 2 because of where he's going to be playing in the lineup. A 2 year deal would put him in the $2.5m range based on what Coyle and Nino got for their contract lengths.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Spurgeon,Granlund and a 1st round pick might do it.

Then in 2yrs when Koivu doesn't have a leg to skate on anymore... what do we do at #2 center?

I'd rather keep Granlund even if he isn't long term #1, as he's still a damn good player and is good at a position you need depth at.

Koivu's career is winding down, Granlund is AT LEAST his replacement, and then we need to find a #1 ahead of him, unlike we ever did when Mikko was young.

Build with the younger players.

J22*

Then in 2yrs when Koivu doesn't have a leg to skate on anymore... what do we do at #2 center?

I'd rather keep Granlund even if he isn't long term #1, as he's still a damn good player and is good at a position you need depth at.

Koivu's career is winding down, Granlund is AT LEAST his replacement, and then we need to find a #1 ahead of him, unlike we ever did when Mikko was young.

Build with the younger players.

If Granlund was anywhere near as good as Koivu, center wouldn't be a concern.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If Granlund was anywhere near as good as Koivu, center wouldn't be a concern.

But he IS near as good as him, he just shouldn't be the #1 guy... but we already know Koivu isn't the #1 either, so we have Koivu playing against lesser defenders and Granlund vs top defenders.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
In 3 years:

#1 C... Granlund; age 25; 15ish goals, 50ish assists

#2 C... Coyle; age 25; 20ish goals, 35ish assists

#3 C... Koivu; age 34; 10ish goals, 25ish assists

Because why not?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Spurgeon,Granlund and a 1st round pick might do it.

Nope, still in the locker room and not even on the field yet.

We are talking like possible generational talent. You would need to do a:

2015 1st, 2016 1st or some odd additional pick scenario to make it juicy.
Granlund
Spurg

OR

2015 1st, 3rd
Granlund
Brodin

OR

2015 1st, 3rd
Granlund
Tuch

BUT the thing is....those may not even be worth it to any team that is picking McGod. McGod may actually help a team more than any of those players in a package in the long run. And a rebuilding team is looking long term.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You have more faith in Coyle than I do at this point...

Yes, if Koivu could be moved down to the 3rd line, sure... but I don't know if Coyle is the player to do it. Maybe he is/maybe he isn't at this point.

I'll replace Spurgeon with Scandella not Brodin though.
Then you are better off just setting that speculation aside. #1 center's are the unicorn of the NHL. Your best bet is to develop one from within by going after picks/prospects etc.

By the time the Wild get one developed, Koivu is done and we're still left out in the lurch if you move Granlund trying to find that player.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I think there has been some micommunication I am talking about trading for an existing #1 center not for trading for the overall #1 pick.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think there has been some micommunication I am talking about trading for an existing #1 center not for trading for the overall #1 pick.

What existing #1 center is this? As I said, legit #1 centers are the unicorns of the NHL.

J22*

But he IS near as good as him, he just shouldn't be the #1 guy... but we already know Koivu isn't the #1 either, so we have Koivu playing against lesser defenders and Granlund vs top defenders.

In what way is Granlund "near as good" as Koivu? I think that the player we HOPE Granlund MIGHT become is as good offensively, but he will never come close to being as good of a 2-way player.

And, did you just seriously claim that the Wild are giving Granlund the tougher assignments over Koivu?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
In what way is Granlund "near as good" as Koivu? I think that the player we HOPE Granlund MIGHT become is as good offensively, but he will never come close to being as good of a 2-way player.

And, did you just seriously claim that the Wild are giving Granlund the tougher assignments over Koivu?
He's a good two way player though, and already a better offensive player and is getting better and better at faceoffs.

Yes, Koivu is great as a defender, but Granlund is also above average... he just doesn't have Koivu's size to go with his skill to be GREAT defensively.

It's Koivu's size that is the difference maker there IMO.

As for "tougher assignments" yes and no for both player. Koivu plays against the oppositions top forwards, Granlund faces the oppositions top defenders.

Just like the Wild put out their best offensive D-men "mostly" while Parise and Granlund are on the ice, and their best defensive D-men when Koivu's line is out there.

Offensively, Granlund plays against the top defenders and is still around the same PPG as Koivu is, while Koivu is playing lesser defenders and LOTS more PP time.

As definition for tougher minutes goes... Koivu gets the tougher minutes because he gets the D-zone starts and has to play a shutdown role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->