Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Points are a great thing for some teams, how they carry themselves on the ice is another aspect I'm sure many teams look at when it comes to him. He is not exactly known as a respectable hockey player.

But yet the beloved Minnesota Wild signed him

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I'm 84,23% sure Pens would be interested in Cookie if the price was right. They have a chronic need of wingers and they know how to handle Cooke.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
There is no way we get Pavs from them though. I honestly think he would probably be the only one untouchable on that entire roster.
Idk, they are going for a youth movement it seems and Pavelski could fetch quite the package. I'm more interested in what they would want for Couture. I'd offer 1st+Granlund+Coyle+cap dump (would that be enough? is that overpayment?). Then keep Brodziak and Stewart and run:

Parise-Couture-Pominville
Stewart-Koivu-Zucker
Nino-Haula-Vanek
Schroeder-Brodziak-Fontaine

I'm 84,23% sure Pens would be interested in Cookie if the price was right. They have a chronic need of wingers and they know how to handle Cooke.

How? Yeah, Pittsburgh is about the only team.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
But yet the beloved Minnesota Wild signed him

And I still believe that was only because they needed a plug to fill a void in the event Coyle, Nino, Haula or Fontaine were not ready to play 82+ NHL games. They needed something and Fletcher has affection towards Penguin players. He was an easy one to sign to help bridge that gap.

If they do it would be at a super low contract anyways. Will there be teams who throw money his way for his services? Honestly, I just don't see it unless they absolutely need a 4th line plug

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The Cooke signing was a good one, he was solid last year and definitely helped with the playoff push.

Probably trade him in the offseason with the amount of depth we have at the forward position though. Someone will be willing to part with a late-round draft pick for him.

Wouldn't mind re-signing Brodz and Stewart in the off-season. Let Bergie go. Fontaine may be trade bait after the season he's having. Our problem is going to be the cap hit the next offseason. I'm really curious to see what Fletcher does with Spurgeon because we're not going to have enough cap space if the Canadian dollar doesn't improve.

Go into next season with:

Parise - Granlund - Pominville

Zucker - Koivu - Vanek

Nino - Coyle - Stewart

Schroeder - Brodziak - Haula/Fontaine

If you don't re-sign Brodziak, move Carter to Brodziak's spot.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Cooke "plays" about 10 games a year. He is otherwise missing in action. He is paid $2.5 million/year for those 10 games, which works out to $250,000 per quality game.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Cooke "plays" about 10 games a year. He is otherwise missing in action. He is paid $2.5 million/year for those 10 games, which works out to $250,000 per quality game.

He played a full season last year and made an impact in many of those games. He was a much needed addition to this team. He's no longer needed with Stewart/Nino/Coyle though.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He played a full season last year and made an impact in many of those games. He was a much needed addition to this team. He's no longer needed with Stewart/Nino/Coyle though.

Not to mention he helped a bit in the playoffs (except for the Barrie hit). I enjoyed watching him walk the line and throw the opposing team off their game.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Not to mention he helped a bit in the playoffs (except for the Barrie hit). I enjoyed watching him walk the line and throw the opposing team off their game.

Yeah, didn't want to mention his playoff performance because of the Barrie knee, but up until then he was playing pretty well.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

Um really??? hes been pretty productive every year up until this year. . This is the first time this year he has missed any games in the last 4 seasons also

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Um really??? hes been pretty productive every year up until this year. . This is the first time this year he has missed any games in the last 4 seasons also

he's saying he has a poor work ethic, which flys in the face of everything anyone has said about him on any team. but i suppose he knows Cooke best.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The Wild should take absolutely anything (or nothing if the highest they can get is future considerations) they can get for Cooke. He doesn't fit the direction the team has gone and the extra 2.5m would be nice.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
The Wild should take absolutely anything (or nothing if the highest they can get is future considerations) they can get for Cooke. He doesn't fit the direction the team has gone and the extra 2.5m would be nice.

no one is going to take cooke until he proves he can still play regular minutes effectively, and we're not going to want to give him up if he is.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
no one is going to take cooke until he proves he can still play regular minutes effectively, and we're not going to want to give him up if he is.

And there's the issue. He hasn't done that at all this year... before/after injuries. We have since already moved on to more effective role players in the lineup ahead of him. MAYBE if we ask for a 6th or 7th round pick, some team may take a flyer on him, otherwise, he'll likely be in our pressbox next season waiting for an injury to happen to someone else.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Cooke's game for a decade was bang and crash. He was really good at it.

But he can't do that anymore because his body can't take it. So he picks his spots and his games.

Pretty obvious if you have watched him over the last few seasons.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Yeah, Cooke is surplus to requirements if Stewart, Bergy, or Carter are retained, which I would guess at least one or two will. As you guys said, Cooke's body can't handle the full season, he knows this. I thought Cooke was pretty meh last year, until the playoffs where he became an extremely valuable player. Veterans know their body's and they know how to manage a full season, Cooke knew he had an extra gear, he just needed the right time/opportunity to display it.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Bergy is turning into the Moulson trade last year. Just isn't panning out. Stewart on the other hand...I think he is the player they've been wanting that we all were hoping Cooke was going to be. Physical with a good offensive upswing.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Bergy is turning into the Moulson trade last year. Just isn't panning out. Stewart on the other hand...I think he is the player they've been wanting that we all were hoping Cooke was going to be. Physical with a good offensive upswing.

Yeah, silver lining is that we paid a 5th and got a 7th back. I can deal with that price. Two 2nds for a guy who was often a healthy scratch was painful.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Bergy does seem like he will be the odd man out. It's not like he's been bad, it's just that everyone else has been really good. I'd still put him in the lineup without hesitation if need be.

But, I'm not going to pretend to guess what Yeo is gonna do.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yeah, silver lining is that we paid a 5th and got a 7th back. I can deal with that price. Two 2nds for a guy who was often a healthy scratch was painful.

Well it was also a 3rd for a goaltender who had been in the AHL and backup role for a good chunk of time too.

Thing is, if Fletcher really is concerned with picks someone will most likely get moved during the draft. And dare I honestly say it.... it could be Spurgeon and/or Zucker.

Bergy does seem like he will be the odd man out. It's not like he's been bad, it's just that everyone else has been really good. I'd still put him in the lineup without hesitation if need be.

But, I'm not going to pretend to guess what Yeo is gonna do.

I think Yeo is looking at the entire roster (to include Iowa callups) and making two rosters for the playoffs:

1) big bodied and physical team. This one does not rely on speed to score goals but just dirty ones and/or puck luck. Lots of offensive zone time. Grind the other team out.

2) Fast north-south game. Lines like Zucker-Haula-Schroeder become considered. Pure speed from the fowards and D to keep the other team back deep in their zone and/or test their legs.

But yes, I have no damn clue either :biglaugh: I just imagine him throwing darts at a board in the office sometimes.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Well it was also a 3rd for a goaltender who had been in the AHL and backup role for a good chunk of time too.

Thing is, if Fletcher really is concerned with picks someone will most likely get moved during the draft. And dare I honestly say it.... it could be Spurgeon and/or Zucker.

Not a chance.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Not a chance.

None of us can even pretend to know what Fletcher is thinking in terms of players and where this team is headed. I'm not a fan of seeing either of those players go. But if Fletcher is weighing the pros and cons in whatever facet they, as a front office and coaching staff, who knows who stays and goes in terms of if this is a "win now" or "consistently pressure for 5 years." Fletcher has said time and time again he is extremely distraught about how many picks the Wild have traded away to get players.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fontaine is the most likely traded, not Zucker.

Spurgeon could definitely be the odd man out on D, but I'd think that would be next trade deadline at the earliest. We've had too little development in d-men outside the NHL...the next closest to reach the show is Olofsson, who's been injured all year.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
None of us can even pretend to know what Fletcher is thinking in terms of players and where this team is headed. I'm not a fan of seeing either of those players go. But if Fletcher is weighing the pros and cons in whatever facet they, as a front office and coaching staff, who knows who stays and goes in terms of if this is a "win now" or "consistently pressure for 5 years." Fletcher has said time and time again he is extremely distraught about how many picks the Wild have traded away to get players.

And if GMCF thinks that trading away a 23 year old that would've scored 20 goals for some picks is a good move for us to stay competitive for the future he should be fired. In 5 years Zucker will still be in his prime. Honestly if we traded away Zucker for picks I'd become more anti-GMCF than TSK.

Zucker isnt an untouchable player. I dont see him being traded though.

There are no untouchable players. Only players it makes no sense to move, Zucker is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad