Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
GMCF seems to show interest in at least one college UFA every year...Its actually a great way to grab late blooming talent without expending any other assets besides cash. Having plenty of college kids growing up in MN should net the Wild with some opportunities to woo kids who dream of playing in front of friends/family. Like Toronto/Montreal being a destination to fulfill Canadian childhood dreams, MN has a similar advantage of being in State of Hockey...

All that said, Reilly would be a nice catch for the Wild organization...

Don't watch a lot of Gophers hockey - does he have an NHL future in your opinion?

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
He's filled out a bit since he was a slight freshman but his skating as PMD is top-notch...Probably a offensively gifted 5/6 D is the ceiling but could certainly play in AHL right now...He's got skills

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
He's filled out a bit since he was a slight freshman but his skating as PMD is top-notch...Probably a offensively gifted 5/6 D is the ceiling but could certainly play in AHL right now...He's got skills

Agreed. He's a bottom pairing dman, but one that I think a lot of teams would like.

A defensive corp of Suter, Brodin, Scandella, Dumba, Spurgeon, Folin, Rielly and maybe Prosser is quite good.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Agreed. He's a bottom pairing dman, but one that I think a lot of teams would like.

A defensive corp of Suter, Brodin, Scandella, Dumba, Spurgeon, Folin, Rielly and maybe Prosser is quite good.

What about Olofsson?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I like Stewart thus far. With Coyle moving to center full time, we need a guy like him on the wings in the top9.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
There's been some speculation that Gopher Dman Mike Reilly won't sign with CBJ if he decides to leave school. He's a great skater, and has great vision and hockey sense. Also a left hand shot.

Man, if we could get him here...

Where have you seen this speculated?

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Someone else will bite on that one hard. Chicago comes to mind. They will need to get some players on the cheap coming up soon.

Fun fact: I actually know some of the Rielly family and Rielly is really really good friends with Nick Leddy. Don't know what I'm getting at with that but I thought it was a cool fact to share.

Been at a couple parties with both :yo:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Fun fact: I actually know some of the Rielly family and Rielly is really really good friends with Nick Leddy. Don't know what I'm getting at with that but I thought it was a cool fact to share.

Been at a couple parties with both :yo:

So you're an Eagle :shakehead :sarcasm:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Reilly is similar to Dumba, isn't he?

Not as physical and doesn't have the same hard slap shot.

While Reilly has the tools to be a good offensive defenseman, he will need a few years to get his overall game together. I don't think he's nearly ready to step into the NHL unless he's paired with someone who is extremely dependable as he loves to pinch and join the offensive rush all the time.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Not as physical and doesn't have the same hard slap shot.

While Reilly has the tools to be a good offensive defenseman, he will need a few years to get his overall game together. I don't think he's nearly ready to step into the NHL unless he's paired with someone who is extremely dependable as he loves to pinch and join the offensive rush all the time.

Yeah, I don't think there's any way he's ready for the NHL starting next year. I think he needs a year, at least, in the AHL to work on his defensive game.

As good as he is on offense, he gets walked around quite a bit, too.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why not try him at wing? I know he's played there in the past, if only for short stints. Does he have the kind of skillset that can translate to wing in the NHL? I haven't watched much of him so I don't know exactly what he is.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Why not try him at wing? I know he's played there in the past, if only for short stints. Does he have the kind of skillset that can translate to wing in the NHL? I haven't watched much of him so I don't know exactly what he is.

Hmm. I can't think of a time when Reilly ever played wing with the Gophers. Did he do it in Penticton or something?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

He has a higher upside as a defenseman than he does as a wing, IMO. He just needs to work on picking his spots, much like Dumba has.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hmm. I can't think of a time when Reilly ever played wing with the Gophers. Did he do it in Penticton or something?

I thought it was more in the past years when they couldn't fit him on the blue line or something. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm mixing up the brothers. I'm not a Gopher fan so I could be mistaken.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
[mod]

http://www.herbbrooksfoundation.com/page/show/739442-herb-brooks-foundation-board-and-staff

Michael Reilly

Mike Reilly retired as Managing Director of UBS Securities in the spring of 2007 after 22 years in institutional fixed-income sales and management. During his career, he was responsible for a broad range of complex financial instruments. Mike began his career at Salomon Brothers in 1985, in the municipal bond sales group. Later, he moved to the taxable fixed income credit group. In 1995, UBS hired Mike to help start up a Midwest institutional office for fixed income.

During the past decade, he has been an owner of, board member of, and consultant to more than 20 companies, including TPG Sports Magazine, Midwest Microcoatings, and Wayzata Investment Partners, among others. He is also a minority owner of the Minnesota Wild and the Sioux City Musketeers of the United States Hockey League. He also played for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens and played in the minors in 1981. Mike leverages his vast business and hockey knowledge for the Foundation. He and his wife Lisa have five children and reside in Chanhassen, Minn.

I wonder if that helps or hurts him in terms of choosing the Wild. Could the Blue Jackets have a case for tampering if he chose Minnesota? I'm not sure if there is any precedence for a case like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I thought it was more in the past years when they couldn't fit him on the blue line or something. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm mixing up the brothers. I'm not a Gopher fan so I could be mistaken.

Yeah, it might be just mixing up the brothers. Connor and Ryan are both forwards. Ryan is a depth guy, who gets in every once in a while.

If anything, it would have been a couple odd games in Mike's freshman year, but for sure his sophomore and junior seasons, he's been exclusively at D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad