Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency VIII - 2014 Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Yes. I think Ward is an option if Canes suck hard this year.

I'm a Ward fan, but I don't think he can stay healthy. Part of me wishes we could snag Antti Raanta out of Chicago, but that won't happen. I wonder how interested we were in signing Hiller this offseason. I've always liked him.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I'm a Ward fan, but I don't think he can stay healthy. Part of me wishes we could snag Antti Raanta out of Chicago, but that won't happen. I wonder how interested we were in signing Hiller this offseason. I've always liked him.

Well he chose Chicago we were in the mix for him,

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

From what I've heard from my Chicago folks is no one wants to touch him with a 10ft pole. You think Darcy is bad, Raanta is even worse.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
From what I've heard from my Chicago folks is no one wants to touch him with a 10ft pole. You think Darcy is bad, Raanta is even worse.

I don't think Kuemper is bad. :dunno:

From what I've seen, Raanta is an above-average backup. Given the opportunity, I think he has starter potential.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't think Kuemper is bad. :dunno:

From what I've seen, Raanta is an above-average backup. Given the opportunity, I think he has starter potential.

Not their performance that is called into question, it is their perceived notions they are elite goaltenders in the NHL prior to even playing a full season.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Not their performance that is called into question, it is their perceived notions they are elite goaltenders in the NHL prior to even playing a full season.

Russo:
Fletcher admitted though that he hasn’t talked much with Kuemper’s agent since he surprisingly elected not to file for arbitration July 5.

Your assumptions are probably unwarranted since Fletcher and Kuemper's agent have barely spoken about his next contract. Both Kuemper and Niederreiter are RFAs, which means (barring a trade, or unlikely offer sheet) they will both be with the Wild next season. That's how restricted free-agency usually ends up, to my understanding.

Don't really know much about Raanta's attitude. Haven't heard anything about him considering himself an elite NHL talent. He's currently a backup, so... That doesn't scream drama queen to me. He had to know he would be a backup to Crawford when he signed in Chicago.

Aug 21, 2014
At his salary and production you guys would have to take Backstrom and retain as much salary as possible. And then say **** the deal, because its not happening.

**** the deal because it won't happen because it's fictional or because it's just not worth it?

Wideman @50% (2.65m) to Minnesota for...

tomthestone*

**** the deal because it won't happen because it's fictional or because it's just not worth it?

Wideman @50% (2.65m) to Minnesota for...

The same Dennis Wideman who is on the wrong side of 30 and signed through 2017? I don't think that's the kind of player/contract situation the Wild want to hook into any time soon. If the Wild acquire a RD, it'll be a bigger name than Wideman or a deadline rental.

Aug 21, 2014
The same Dennis Wideman who is on the wrong side of 30 and signed through 2017? I don't think that's the kind of player/contract situation the Wild want to hook into any time soon. If the Wild acquire a RD, it'll be a bigger name than Wideman or a deadline rental.

alright then thanks for the imput :)

tomthestone*

alright then thanks for the imput :)

Although maybe at 90% retained the Wild would cough up a 7th for Setogu...actually no they wouldn't.

Haha I'm kidding. Couple nice exciting young players in Calgary there and a decent chunk of NCAA prospects. Wouldn't hate seeing that pan out in a few years.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Anyone think we could eventually trade for a goalie?

We will have three goalies signed to one way deals. I don't see it happening. I think management waits until the year is over and we let Backstrom and Harding walk. Then we pick up a veteran goalie for cheap to split time with Kuemper for a year then Kuemper will take over full time hopefully.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
We will have three goalies signed to one way deals. I don't see it happening. I think management waits until the year is over and we let Backstrom and Harding walk. Then we pick up a veteran goalie for cheap to split time with Kuemper for a year then Kuemper will take over full time hopefully.

Backstrom still has two years left right? :(... Looks like that veteran goalie on the cheap will be Backstrom still next year unless we buy him out..

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

I'm thinking worst case scenario... Harding retires, Backstrom gets bought-out, Kuemper doesn't want to play here anymore. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but it's an unfortunate possibility. :(

tomthestone*

I'm thinking worst case scenario... Harding retires, Backstrom gets bought-out, Kuemper doesn't want to play here anymore. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but it's an unfortunate possibility. :(

I won't be sad if the 2015-16 starter isn't currently with the organization. Backstrom is awful so him being gone would be a plus. I don't think anyone is counting on SpiderJosh Harding of 2013 returning, and no matter how well he plays he just can't be counted on to handle a true starter's workload. As for Kuemper, I have serious doubts about whether he'll ever be consistent or durable enough.

Potential stopgaps like Nemo and MA Fleury would both make me feel better than what we currently have in the fold. If it's a mess back there again this year, you'd have to think Fletcher would reach elsewhere for a steady answer.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I won't be sad if the 2015-16 starter isn't currently with the organization. Backstrom is awful so him being gone would be a plus.

Nope. He's been awful due to injuries. If he feels good, he can def. be more than decent backup.

But I assume you will just keep stating opinions as facts.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I think everyone needs to just calm down about the Kuemper "Hold Out"(how can you hold out when you don't have a contract).

He's an RFA, that is negotiating. Come training camp, he will be here.

Check out the list of unsigned RFAs.

Its not exactly a short list, and what the majority of those players have in common, is that they play big roles for their team. Just like Kuemper did for us last year, and what he likely will for us again this year. I will never begrudge a player for getting the best possible contract they can get. That is all that is going on.

Urgency in negotiating comes with deadlines. The soft deadline for Kuemper and the rest of those RFAs is the start of training camp. The hard deadline will be the start of the season(when pay checks start getting missed). I'd bet good money it will get done before training camp.

tomthestone*

Nope. He's been awful due to injuries. If he feels good, he can def. be more than decent backup.

But I assume you will just keep stating opinions as facts.

I don't care what caused him to play as bad as he did last year, and there's no reason to think Backs can keep his body in game shape for any length of time ever again anyway. I appreciate his years of good service for the Wild and that he's a nice guy or whatever, but no team can have a goalie getting beat on more than 10% of the shots he faces. That's a fact.

I don't buy that it's as simple as just getting healthy with Backstrom either. Dude is old and has a lot of miles on him. Legs go on a guy quickly. It's harsh, but the game be the game. Always.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think everyone needs to just calm down about the Kuemper "Hold Out"(how can you hold out when you don't have a contract).

He's an RFA, that is negotiating. Come training camp, he will be here.

Check out the list of unsigned RFAs.

Its not exactly a short list, and what the majority of those players have in common, is that they play big roles for their team. Just like Kuemper did for us last year, and what he likely will for us again this year. I will never begrudge a player for getting the best possible contract they can get. That is all that is going on.

Urgency in negotiating comes with deadlines. The soft deadline for Kuemper and the rest of those RFAs is the start of training camp. The hard deadline will be the start of the season(when pay checks start getting missed). I'd bet good money it will get done before training camp.

I personally think Kuemper re-signs, but I was considering the organization's worst-case scenario. I don't think we're in bad shape if we sign a stop-gap goalie like Tom was saying. We don't need to shell out for a young starter with Gustafsson and Kähkönen still developing.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
next summers draft a projected 2nd rounder TRETIAK is available hmmmmmmmmm. i have an anti russian draft bias but i could make an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad