Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency VIII - 2014 Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I would not mind Malone if he has his problems worked out. Bissonette would be interesting too

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Maybe....
Malone hasn't been relevant in 4 years.

Not like we'd need him to put up big numbers. But on the 4th line, he's not a bad option. I'd also much rather have Bissonette over Parros. Biz is younger and can actually produce a little. Parros is finished.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
No goons please. Just teach Coyle and Nino to fight. I'd love to watch Coyle go Cam Neely on someone's ass.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Dude is certainly big and strong enough.

Just needs to unleash the beast.

Remember when Coyle got that completely bogus major against Columbus awhile back? Not sure who he fought right after the hit, but I remember he whooped him. He's got it in him, just need the right trigger I think.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Remember when Coyle got that completely bogus major against Columbus awhile back? Not sure who he fought right after the hit, but I remember he whooped him. He's got it in him, just need the right trigger I think.

It was Dubinsky.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Eeehhh... Coyle is visibly stronger, but the fight never really developed.

Also, Anisimov can't be reaching for that puck. Put himself in a vulnerable position. Coyle could have demolished him. :shakehead

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn

I wouldn't really consider that a fight. Sure the gloves came off but it was just a wrestling match that charlie won.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Also, Anisimov can't be reaching for that puck. Put himself in a vulnerable position. Coyle could have demolished him. :shakehead

Yeah, you're right about that. Coyle showed a lot of restraint in that hit. Could've put him down for the count. Hit Anisimov just hard enough to knock him off the puck.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Coyle did work him with the right quite well though. As for the hit, it was 100% clean. Anisimov put his head down and reached for the puck as Coyle was coming for him. What was he expecting Charlie to do? Not make the hit? He could've absolutely bulldozed him and chose to make a clean hit instead, yet still gets jumped.

And that major was just bullcrap.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Coyle did work him with the right quite well though. As for the hit, it was 100% clean. Anisimov put his head down and reached for the puck as Coyle was coming for him. What was he expecting Charlie to do? Not make the hit? He could've absolutely bulldozed him and chose to make a clean hit instead, yet still gets jumped.

And that major was just bullcrap.

I think Anisimov realizes his mistake as he's reaching for the puck, too. Neither Dubinsky or Coyle seem to very invested in the fight; I think it was mostly for show.

Man, that vid pisses me off all over again. Those announcers make it even worse. What a BS call.

Announcers make it 10x worse - incredibly homer-ish. Us Wild fans can't really complain, though.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 4m
Wade Arnott, agent for #stlblues Jaden Schwartz, tells Post-Dispatch two sides are "significantly apart" on a contract. More soon @stltoday

Interesting... Lots of young guys looking to get paid this year.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Eeehhh... Coyle is visibly stronger, but the fight never really developed.

Coyle just started to realize he's on the stronger range of the spectrum in the NHL during the playoffs. Maybe needs a couple more of these quasi-fights where he can control another player to really ramp up that awareness and start playing big all the time.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
This is what I'm expecting from Coyle:

He has the tools to be an excellent two-way/power forward. Hybrid, because I don't think he has the offense nor the mean streak to be a bona fide power forward, but still a very serviceable middle-six guy. Part of the reason for that, like others mentioned, is the fact that he was basically thrown in the river, but he learned to swim. It's gonna take a lot to take him away from the roster now.

Coyle's potential is definitely that of a proper maneater, but to achieve that he needs to make the jump. Yes, it's going to need some eye of the tiger, endless love for the sport and perhaps even magic. But if he's able to ride the chariots of fire into heaven, there will be a lot of celebration. If not, he'll sadly be just another brick in the wall in land down under.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
This is what I'm expecting from Coyle:

He has the tools to be an excellent two-way/power forward. Hybrid, because I don't think he has the offense nor the mean streak to be a bona fide power forward, but still a very serviceable middle-six guy. Part of the reason for that, like others mentioned, is the fact that he was basically thrown in the river, but he learned to swim. It's gonna take a lot to take him away from the roster now.

Coyle's potential is definitely that of a proper maneater, but to achieve that he needs to make the jump. Yes, it's going to need some eye of the tiger, endless love for the sport and perhaps even magic. But if he's able to ride the chariots of fire into heaven, there will be a lot of celebration. If not, he'll sadly be just another brick in the wall in land down under.

that would make for a pretty schizo playlist.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
A 4th line of Bissonnette - Brodziak - Parros? I could dig that :naughty:

But in all seriousness, I wonder how well someone like BizNasty could do with two skill guys on his lines. You know, Broad Street Bullies -style.

He would kill any offensive flow that the line would have otherwise had. Same thing happened when we had Heatley on any line last year, or Brodziak on the third line, etc. There's a reason those guys are unemployed in August.

Wild's LW depth:

Parise
Vanek
Zucker
Cooke

Wild's RW depth:

Pominville
Nino
Coyle
Fontaine

Wild's center depth:

Koivu
Granlund
Haula
Brodziak

I'm not seeing any holes in that lineup. I literally can't find any way that you would ever want to put a goon who can't skate or score in there.

No goons please. Just teach Coyle and Nino to fight. I'd love to watch Coyle go Cam Neely on someone's ass.

Or just don't fight because it's dumb and unnecessary. I wish hockey would get serious and just ban it already.

tomthestone*

I get that fighting in hockey is hated by tons of people. I can't stand the line brawls and when it gets to be a total circus with several brewhahas in one game.

Still, if fights were completely eradicated, things would get even nastier out there with cheap hits and especially dirty stickwork. Players have to know that if they take a run at somebody they'll have worse punishment than sitting in the sin bin for a couple minutes. Ban fighting and you're going to have greasy third and fourth liners running little skill guys (like Granlund, Datsyuk) all day.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

Some might say he'd have to find a hidden track to success if he wants to be instrumental in ending the team's untitled streak.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I get that fighting in hockey is hated by tons of people. I can't stand the line brawls and when it gets to be a total circus with several brewhahas in one game.

Still, if fights were completely eradicated, things would get even nastier out there with cheap hits and especially dirty stickwork. Players have to know that if they take a run at somebody they'll have worse punishment than sitting in the sin bin for a couple minutes. Ban fighting and you're going to have greasy third and fourth liners running little skill guys (like Granlund, Datsyuk) all day.

Like Matt Cooke? :naughty:

tomthestone*

Like Matt Cooke? :naughty:

In hockey it's kill or get killed. Matt Cooke is still in the league, so he might as well play on our favorite team as long as he's a viable third liner. He still is just that, despite what many of the forum trolls seem to think about him and Jason "needs two more years in the AHL" Zucker.

But yes. If guys were only allowed to retaliate via the clean hit, the whole dynamic of physical play in hockey would change for the worse -- like Vikings Saints five years ago, when New Orleans decided to dole out cheap shot after cheap shot on Favre because he was just going to throw for the 15 yards they kept eating in penalties anyway. I'll never forgive that team for not sending some bench warmer out there to blast Drew Brees five seconds after he released the ball.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
The Cooke mention was apt.

Colorado has a few players that can throw them. Certainly didn't stop Cooke from removing one of their better players from the equation. I don't know, I don't see how there's any argument that supports the threat of a fight as an actual deterant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad