Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency VII - 2014 Offseason Edition II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I severely hope that we are in both, as well as three years from now, four, five, etc...

My point is that the Wild aren't looking at this season as one where they just hope to get better, but are still a "few years away" from being a contender.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I will never understand someone saying that putting one of Coyle or Nino on the 3rd line is somehow going to screw them up developmentally. The 3rd line doesn't have to be a prototypical 3rd line, It can be a scoring type with the right players and that is not a bad thing.

Cooke/Haula/Coyle has the chance to be a really tough 3rd line to play against, great defensively and very good offensive potential. Definitely not the prototypical "shutdown" line, but definitely the ability to do so when called upon.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
MDZ will be a free agent. Another LH puck mover. Maybe can bid the prices down a touch for Niskanen.

You can't keep throwing a guy out on the top PP and in the top six who gets you about 15 goals and 35 points.

From listening to Russo earlier it sounds like the salary for Niskanen is less of a concern than the term. Niskanen is said to want 7 years and I don't see the Wild doing that even if the asking price for money goes down a bit.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
From listening to Russo earlier it sounds like the salary for Niskanen is less of a concern than the term. Niskanen is said to want 7 years and I don't see the Wild doing that even if the asking price for money goes down a bit.
That makes me happy. Niskanen would have been a short-term, minor upgrade, with a long-term cost.

Now, the Wild can give Folin/Dumba a shot, or even trade a more developed Folin/Dumba for a big RH #2 via trade at some point.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
That makes me happy. Niskanen would have been a short-term, minor upgrade, with a long-term cost.

Now, the Wild can give Folin/Dumba a shot, or even trade a more developed Folin/Dumba for a big RH #2 via trade at some point.

Folin should get a real good shot this year and I think he will make the team. Dumba should go to Iowa and develop his game as a top defenseman. If you give Dumba a couple of years to grow bigger and stronger and allow him to learn his role, I think he could step into the NHL and be the electrifying, top pairing defenseman we selected him to be. Unless we can get a steal for a big RH #2 defenseman, I truly believe we are better off developing Dumba/Oloffson for that top pairing.

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
Schroeder is going to be a free agent. I wonder if he'd be up for playing in Iowa? He'd help them at least.

Mancini79

Jul 4, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Folin should get a real good shot this year and I think he will make the team. Dumba should go to Iowa and develop his game as a top defenseman. If you give Dumba a couple of years to grow bigger and stronger and allow him to learn his role, I think he could step into the NHL and be the electrifying, top pairing defenseman we selected him to be. Unless we can get a steal for a big RH #2 defenseman, I truly believe we are better off developing Dumba/Oloffson for that top pairing.
Folin definitely looked like an NHL Dman when I saw him against the Blues this year. Solid skater. Hard shot too! Brodz barely touched the puck on his rocket that was going in anyway. He was a +3. I know it was only one game, but he could be a diamond in the rough. If I recall correctly other teams wanted him too.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Folin should be given a chance to compete for the role but by no means should he be given a spot. I also think Brodin hasn't been pulling his weight offensively, taking a big step back after his injury early in the season. Another RHD would push both of them. Just there happens to only be one on the market this summer, and I don't see the Wild trading for one.

I like that HockeyBuzz article, really nails the state of the prospects:

- Granlund is a high end, but pass-first player
- Coyle is a worker bee, but can't carry the puck or create his own shot
- Nino has a lot of potential but never gets used in an offensive role
- Haula is really versatile but doesn't have high-end goal scoring
- Zucker/Fontaine are on tight leashes

Of the "bridge" guys he lists, I'm most on board with Iginla, Cammalleri, and Vrbata up front. On defense, I like Boyle and Gilbert. There's about 100 left-handed puck-movers it seems like.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Folin should be given a chance to compete for the role but by no means should he be given a spot. I also think Brodin hasn't been pulling his weight offensively, taking a big step back after his injury early in the season.

I think we have plenty of space to let Folin come in without sacrificing Brodin's time. Also, I'm surprised how many goals Brodin scored. Hopefully, it was just a sophomore slump.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Folin should be given a chance to compete for the role but by no means should he be given a spot. I also think Brodin hasn't been pulling his weight offensively, taking a big step back after his injury early in the season. Another RHD would push both of them. Just there happens to only be one on the market this summer, and I don't see the Wild trading for one.

Of the "bridge" guys he lists, I'm most on board with Iginla, Cammalleri, and Vrbata up front. On defense, I like Boyle and Gilbert. There's about 100 left-handed puck-movers it seems like.

Who would he compete with? Anybody brought in is going to be on a one-way deal, so would it even be a competition?

Suter
Spurgeon
*RHD*
Scandella
Ballard
Brodin
Folin

Unless you're saying that he should compete with Brodin? Well, that's not really a fair shot because Brodin is not going to be sent down. I guess he could beat out Ballard, but then all we have is a $1.5m healthy scratch with a NTC.

Suter (28) - Spurgeon (24)
Scandella (20) - Brodin (24)
Ballard (12) - Folin/Blum (12)

I think Blum should be given a fair shot at that spot, so maybe just have those two battle it out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think Folin is anywhere near ready to play in the NHL on a consistent basis. Should start in Iowa.

I can't really form an educated opinion on him, having only partially watched his lone NHL game last year. However, I think him being a 23 year old coming out of college hockey would make the transition much easier than it would be coming out of other places. I guess we'll see in camp/preseason.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida

I don't understand the whole thing with Nino. Although I doubt he will get top 6 minutes this year with the addition of another scoring forward, I do think he should be utilized on the power play at least.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
On opening night one of them might be knocked down to 3rd line...but there is no way that this roster will go the entire season without injury. Adding Vanek is adding SORELY needed scoring depth. The Wild are in "win now" mode, not "win two years from now". We can't simply sit on our heals and hope that Nino and Coyle will suddenly turn into a 30 goal scorer. They may eventually, and they can still develop playing on the 3rd line depending how Yeo sets it up for them.

This right here.

Vanek Grandalf Pomminville sounds awesome.

Thinking Niskanen goes elsewhere as he will be too rich for our blood. But Fletch has pulled off things I never expected before.

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
What about Dan Boyle?...yes, he's 37 but RH and a hard-nosed vet...Help get the kiddies ready and show them how to get a point shot through to the net.

Maybe a 1-2 year wouldn't bother him at this stage of career. Maybe 2 years at $3.5-4MM. He made $6.6MM /year on his last deal (per Capgeek).

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
What about Dan Boyle?...yes, he's 37 but RH and a hard-nosed vet...Help get the kiddies ready and show them how to get a point shot through to the net.

Maybe a 1-2 year wouldn't bother him at this stage of career. Maybe 2 years at $3.5-4MM. He made $6.6MM /year on his last deal (per Capgeek).

I wouldn't hate it, but I'm thinking he and the Lightning have already agreed to a 2 year deal and it will be announced at 12:01 pm tomorrow.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Why are we not all clammoring for Michael Del Zotto? I mean i get that hes not too good defensively but when else do you get the chance to sign a free agent 24 yr old former first round pick defencemen who put up 41 pts in his rookie season. A potential steal imo.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Why are we not all clammoring for Michael Del Zotto? I mean i get that hes not too good defensively but when else do you get the chance to sign a free agent 24 yr old former first round pick defencemen who put up 41 pts in his rookie season. A potential steal imo.

Didn't Cam Barker once fit that description? :sarcasm:

P10p

May 15, 2012
Very true ahaha, but Del Zotto, imo, has a much better skill set then Barker. Very good skater and passer. Great offensive instincts as well.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida

I wouldn't say no to signing him but I could see why we wouldn't. He shoots left. We already have Suter, Scandella, Brodin, Ballard and potentially Mitchell. Regardless I think we should at least pitch him an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille