Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency VII - 2014 Offseason Edition II

Status
Not open for further replies.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
It doesn't make sense, why not just have some system that requires teams that are pulling out players early pay a transfer fee or something.

CHL gets their money and players get their development.

The entirety of the CHL represents everything that is wrong with "amateur" hockey.
Is it not almost the exact definition of a cartel?

Last edited:

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Most interesting thing to me was how Parise said that Minnesota players now look at the Wild as a great potential free agent location. I'm not Minnesota, don't care about having more Gophers on the roster, but this is a great development.

Fletcher's model of making Minnesota a great team for Minnesotans, Americans in general, Fins, and Sweds is a successful strategy.

Exactly. We have become a destination for many player demographics which gives us a great competitive advantage in the coming years when we can't get talent from high draft picks.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Exactly. We have become a destination for many player demographics which gives us a great competitive advantage in the coming years when we can't get talent from high draft picks.

Yep. Michael Keränen being just one example of talent acquired without spending assets or overpaying, and Fletcher & Co. have done a really good job of acquiring young players with upside such as Nino and Spurgeon.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
PAP and a 5th for Brierre? I wish Fletcher would get these memo's when teams are trading good players for ****** ones.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
i guess i dont really see the use for either of those guys

PAP scores at a decent clip, and could have been a useful RW candidate for a 2/3rd line spot. Drives possession. He's a pretty solid player that got traded for a 36 year old washed up 4th liner.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
ok you forced me to run the cap#'s next summer. lets say only 12 forwards parise 7.5; koivu 6.75; pom 5.6; cooke 2.5; coyle 3; granlund 4; haula 2.5; nino 3; fonzy 1.5; zucker 1.5; ***vanek 6; brodz replacement 1; thats 45 mill! next 8 D suter 7.5; spur 2.6; brodin 3; scanny 2; folin 1; blum 1; prosser 1; dumba 1. thats about 19 mill then add 2 goalies 5.5 mill for a total aprox 69.5 mill and maybe the cap is bumped up to 73 mill. how do you add niskanen 6? (extra 5) that may be ruff math but you get my point. who do you subtract to make the #'s work?

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I have really been wondering about getting Yakupov from Oilers. Would be great. I know, he's Russian, he's flamboyant, he's not defensively responsibly yadda yadda yadda but seriously, that you can teach. I'm strongly considering about giving Coyle and a pick for Yak. I don't know if Oil would do it, but I think that's a trade that would benefit both teams A LOT.

But then again, I ****ing love Coyle. I don't know, I don't want to let him go. In the optimal world, we could pry Yak from Oil with some of our depth pieces like Brodziak, Zucker, Fontaine/Blum and a pick. Maybe even some of our defenders.

I don't know, do you guys think there's a base for that trade available?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
ok you forced me to run the cap#'s next summer. lets say only 12 forwards parise 7.5; koivu 6.75; pom 5.6; cooke 2.5; coyle 3; granlund 4; haula 2.5; nino 3; fonzy 1.5; zucker 1.5; ***vanek 6; brodz replacement 1; thats 45 mill! next 8 D suter 7.5; spur 2.6; brodin 3; scanny 2; folin 1; blum 1; prosser 1; dumba 1. thats about 19 mill then add 2 goalies 5.5 mill for a total aprox 69.5 mill and maybe the cap is bumped up to 73 mill. how do you add niskanen 6? (extra 5) that may be ruff math but you get my point. who do you subtract to make the #'s work?

Well, adding Niskanen would give you 9 defensemen so you'd get rid of two of the ones making $1m each, so there's $2m freed up. But you're right. Signing both Vanek and Niskanen to $6m deals would be very, very tight financially.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm not a big fan of bring in Vanek because as it stands:

Coyle - Koivu - Parise
el Nino - Granlund - Pominville

Should be our lines next year. Coyle needs the time to develop his offense and so does el Nino. Knocking one of them down to third line isn't going to help them at all.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I have really been wondering about getting Yakupov from Oilers. Would be great. I know, he's Russian, he's flamboyant, he's not defensively responsibly yadda yadda yadda but seriously, that you can teach. I'm strongly considering about giving Coyle and a pick for Yak. I don't know if Oil would do it, but I think that's a trade that would benefit both teams A LOT.

But then again, I ****ing love Coyle. I don't know, I don't want to let him go. In the optimal world, we could pry Yak from Oil with some of our depth pieces like Brodziak, Zucker, Fontaine/Blum and a pick. Maybe even some of our defenders.

I don't know, do you guys think there's a base for that trade available?

i don't think the pieces in bold would do it.

I imagine if the Oilers decided to trade him, and Fletcher wanted him the Wild do have the pieces to get it done. I don't think many Wild fans would like the end cost though.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm not a big fan of bring in Vanek because as it stands:

Coyle - Koivu - Parise
el Nino - Granlund - Pominville

Should be our lines next year. Coyle needs the time to develop his offense and so does el Nino. Knocking one of them down to third line isn't going to help them at all.

On opening night one of them might be knocked down to 3rd line...but there is no way that this roster will go the entire season without injury. Adding Vanek is adding SORELY needed scoring depth. The Wild are in "win now" mode, not "win two years from now". We can't simply sit on our heals and hope that Nino and Coyle will suddenly turn into a 30 goal scorer. They may eventually, and they can still develop playing on the 3rd line depending how Yeo sets it up for them.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I will never understand someone saying that putting one of Coyle or Nino on the 3rd line is somehow going to screw them up developmentally. The 3rd line doesn't have to be a prototypical 3rd line, It can be a scoring type with the right players and that is not a bad thing.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
On opening night one of them might be knocked down to 3rd line...but there is no way that this roster will go the entire season without injury. Adding Vanek is adding SORELY needed scoring depth. The Wild are in "win now" mode, not "win two years from now". We can't simply sit on our heals and hope that Nino and Coyle will suddenly turn into a 30 goal scorer. They may eventually, and they can still develop playing on the 3rd line depending how Yeo sets it up for them.

I severely hope that we are in both, as well as three years from now, four, five, etc...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

We need patience with Coyle and Nino. They are power forwards with minimal time in the AHL. They need to be with skilled players like Granlund, Parise, Pominville and Koivu. Haula is a good center but I'm not certain about Cooke. It won't do them any good if they are playing with offensively limited guys like Brodziak, McCormick, Veilleux and whoever else they decide to throw on the bottom 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad