Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency VII - 2014 Offseason Edition II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
if we lose stoner who is gonna drop the gloves when somebody cheapshots our top players? not mitchell. i can see us getting our @@@ kicked all over the rink and then overspending to add another retread like rupp. ps i say zucker is an nhl player.

Kenny (Cody McCormick).

Sneaky Priest

See you Nov. 2
Sep 20, 2011
Lino Lakes
I will be surprised if Vanek does not sign here. I think the evidence is pretty clear that he wants to sign here, he turned down contracts longer than three years from three different clubs. You don't turn down three contracts, one from a premier club like Montreal, if you don't have an idea of where you want to play....maybe its just me.

I also don't think Niskanen will sign here. Maybe the Wild will take a run at Christian Ehrhoff?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
What about something like 3 years $27 million ($9 million AAV) for Vanek? He won't get the term he covets, but the larger salary compensates. Then, if both he and the Wild are in a good place 3 years from now, they can negotiate a new contract or keep going with one year deals.

Large cap hit, but only 3 years. Shouldn't impact the re-signing of any of the young players who might garner big dollars.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I will be surprised if Vanek does not sign here. I think the evidence is pretty clear that he wants to sign here, he turned down contracts longer than three years from three different clubs. You don't turn down three contracts, one from a premier club like Montreal, if you don't have an idea of where you want to play....maybe its just me.

I also don't think Niskanen will sign here. Maybe the Wild will take a run at Christian Ehrhoff?

Left handed. Stralman if they were looking for a defender would be the best option.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What about something like 3 years $27 million ($9 million AAV) for Vanek? He won't get the term he covets, but the larger salary compensates. Then, if both he and the Wild are in a good place 3 years from now, they can negotiate a new contract or keep going with one year deals.

Large cap hit, but only 3 years. Shouldn't impact the re-signing of any of the young players who might garner big dollars.

It would work, but it would likely shut us out of doing anything more this summer, as well as anything substantial next summer. But that probably wouldn't matter because we can't make a big splash every time free agency comes around; that's how you get into trouble.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
anything we do will effect our cap space next year when were trying to re-sign granlund , coyle , brodin & haula after re-signing nino this year. all making 900k now, if they all have decent years yer talking 2 mill each for raises probably. cap space doesn't grow on trees. i think we need 10 mill cap space next summer just incase someone has a breakout year! and the others are 20% - 30% better than last year production wise.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Next year there's plenty of space, no worries.

The year after gets crazy.

Right now the Wild has $36m committed for 4 forwards, 2 defensemen, and a goalie. Only 7 players. Let's say the cap is $71m, so they have $35m in space.

And here are the RFA's. Let's assume they get:

Granlund = 5
Brodin = 4
Nino = 3
Coyle = 3
Haula = 2
Scandella = 2
Fontaine = 1
Zucker = 1
Folin = 1
Kuemper = 2

That's fairly conservative, and we're up to $24m, which is $11m in cap space before Vanek or anyone else.

We'd have to bring in three forwards and two defensemen, and let's assume Dumba is one of them:

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
(Vanek) - Koivu - Nino
Zucker - Haula - Coyle
Cooke - ____ - Fontaine
____

Suter - Spurgeon
Scandella - Dumba
Brodin - Folin
____

Kuemper/Backstrom

If they spend $8m on Vanek, that's down to $3m in cap space for three players, which is doable.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Right now the Wild has $41.6m committed for 4 forwards, 2 defensemen, and a goalie. Only 7 players. Let's say the cap is $71m, so they have $29.4m in space.

Granlund = 5
Brodin = 4
Nino = 3
Coyle = 3
Haula = 2
Scandella = 2
Fontaine = 1
Zucker = 1
Folin = 1
Kuemper = 2

That's fairly conservative, and we're up to $24m, which is $5.5m in cap space. Before Vanek or anyone else. And we'd have to bring in three forwards and two defensemen.

So let's say they call up Dumba, Gabriel, McMillan, and sign a couple cheap guys. Down to about $1.5m in cap space. Again, before Vanek.

If they bring in Vanek, they're going to have to trade a bigger contract.

Salary Payroll is is 41.6, but every player under contract for the 15-16 season is getting paid more than the cap hit. Cap hits under contract for the 15-16 season is 36 million. Thats an extra 5.5 million in available cap space than your projections, and a total of 35 million in cap space with a 71 million cap.

As the NHL chose not to use the mechanism that allows them to account for new money(Canadian TV deal) a year early(the 71 million projections for this year were assuming that would be used), the NHL is pretty much guarenteeing a substantial jump in cap next year

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

Right now the Wild has $41.6m committed for 4 forwards, 2 defensemen, and a goalie. Only 7 players. Let's say the cap is $71m, so they have $29.4m in space.

Granlund = 5
Brodin = 4
Nino = 3
Coyle = 3
Haula = 2
Scandella = 2
Fontaine = 1
Zucker = 1
Folin = 1
Kuemper = 2

That's fairly conservative, and we're up to $24m, which is $5.5m in cap space. Before Vanek or anyone else. And we'd have to bring in three forwards and two defensemen.

So let's say they call up Dumba, Gabriel, McMillan, and sign a couple cheap guys. Down to about $1.5m in cap space. Again, before Vanek.

Super confused on where you're getting these numbers. Assuming you're talking about '15-'16. The cap going up 2mil would give the Wild 35mil to spend, not 29.4. After your estimates we would have 11 to spend.

Edit: Figured it out. You were looking at Salary payroll rather than cap payroll.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Granlund = 5
Brodin = 4
Nino = 3
Coyle = 3
Haula = 2
Scandella = 2
Fontaine = 1
Zucker = 1
Folin = 1
Kuemper = 2

You also need to figure that the cap will have risen twice between now and then. The word is that it will increase signifantly next year because of the way the new Canadian television contract wasn't factored into the revenue formula this year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
FYI - Parise on KFAN with Brandon Mileski in a few minutes....Alex Tuch will be on at 1:15 pm.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sounds like Jamie McBain is not going to get a Qualifying Offer and will become a UFA because Buffalo wants to get older for some reason.

He's an intregueing option, good size, RHD. Had a terrible season on a terrible buffalo team, but typically held his head above water possession wise in Carolina before that.

Could be a decent Stoner/Prosser upgrade on the bottom pairing, and likely wouldn't cost all that much.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
He was sounding kind of sly when asked, but it sounds as if Parise has been doing some recruiting of Vanek. He mentioned that he has known Vanek for quite some time and that some texting between the two has occurred.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
He was sounding kind of sly when asked, but it sounds as if Parise has been doing some recruiting of Vanek. He mentioned that he has known Vanek for quite some time and that some texting between the two has occurred.

Parise for GM.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Buffalo is going for the full implode huh? Tanking should not be rewarded IMO. I wish picks were like in the EPL. If you suck you get relegated, and don't get good picks.
Unfortunately the league needs every team to be successful. I wish every team was individually owned and operated as a separate business entity. Pipe dream. I just hate tanking soooo much.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Buffalo is going for the full implode huh? Tanking should not be rewarded IMO. I wish picks were like in the EPL. If you suck you get relegated, and don't get good picks.
Unfortunately the league needs every team to be successful. I wish every team was individually owned and operated as a separate business entity. Pipe dream. I just hate tanking soooo much.

I would just like to see the lottery opened up to all 30 teams with one ping-pong ball each. On top of that, I also wish the NHL would increase the draft age to 20 years old. It would make the draft so much more interesting in that the players drafted would be closer to being ready to play in the NHL, we wouldn't have to wait 2-4 years later to see how it panned out.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'd like to see a weighted lottery. Non-playoff teams would go in one bucket, playoff teams in another. The entire draft order would be determined by lottery odds, not just one pick, so it would be possible to just miss the playoffs but get the first overall pick. Though the odds would be long.

Age 20 draft would be sweet, but can't see anyone wanting to break up the current system. Would solve the AHL issue for sure.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Most interesting thing to me was how Parise said that Minnesota players now look at the Wild as a great potential free agent location. I'm not Minnesota, don't care about having more Gophers on the roster, but this is a great development.

Fletcher's model of making Minnesota a great team for Minnesotans, Americans in general, Fins, and Sweds is a successful strategy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I would just like to see the lottery opened up to all 30 teams with one ping-pong ball each. On top of that, I also wish the NHL would increase the draft age to 20 years old. It would make the draft so much more interesting in that the players drafted would be closer to being ready to play in the NHL, we wouldn't have to wait 2-4 years later to see how it panned out.

You're going to end up with some really talented 20 year olds playing in the CHL against 17 and 18 year olds. It might actually get harder to tell who is deserving of their draft position. They'd probably have to add a 2nd tier to that league; one for 18 and unders and one for 19-20 year olds.

Maybe make it 20 years old, but have an option to apply for 'exceptional status' or something. Would we really want Crosby/MacKinnon/Tavares playing in the CHL until they are 20?

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
One thing that is easy to overlook in offering/signing Vanek to a 3 year contract is the fact that we can still re-sign him again after the contract expires. It doesn't mean after 3 years he can't be on the team anymore.

^^This is more of a players issue but Fletch could have told Vanek if your still playing well in 3 years we would still like to have to back.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I just want to see the CHL agreement smashed to pieces or at the very least altered such that we can stick our CHL prospects in the AHL faster. Or recall a prospect from the CHL to the NHL when the need arises.

Good grief you guys are gonna kill this thread before free agency even begins.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I just want to see the CHL agreement smashed to pieces or at the very least altered such that we can stick our CHL prospects in the AHL faster. Or recall a prospect from the CHL to the NHL when the need arises.

Maybe we will. And I fully agree with shattering the CHL agreement.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Even something as simple as First Roudners can go to the AHL 1 year post draft would be a huge improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad