Speculation: Trade Game

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Something possibly centred between E. Staal+sal retained and Skinner for Backes and Oshie+

Skinner-Staal-Tarasenko
Steen-Statsny-Schwartz
Jaskin-Lehtera-Fabbri
Porter(FA)-Ott-Reaves

Jaskin plays LW or RW depending on who he plays with. (LW with Rattie RW with Berglund) and Schwartz can play either side (Played RW with Backes and Steen multiple times)

(Edit: This is only if we can't get anyone higher than Staal)

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Something possibly centred between E. Staal+sal retained and Skinner for Backes and Oshie+

Skinner-Staal-Tarasenko
Steen-Statsny-Schwartz
Jaskin-Lehtera-Fabbri
Porter(FA)-Ott-Reaves

Jaskin plays LW or RW depending on who he plays with. (LW with Rattie RW with Berglund) and Schwartz can play either side (Played RW with Backes and Steen multiple times)

I'm down. Staal only has one year left, so we're in the same situation as we were with Backes, but I like the addition over Oshie if Schwartz CAN play RW and This is the best we can get for
Backes and Oshie.

Honestly though, I don't think CAR bites. Not because of value, but because of need. They'd also be more likely to sign Staal than Backes at the end of the year.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm down. Staal only has one year left, so we're in the same situation as we were with Backes, but I like the addition over Oshie if Schwartz CAN play RW and This is the best we can get for
Backes and Oshie.

Honestly though, I don't think CAR bites. Not because of value, but because of need. They'd also be more likely to sign Staal than Backes at the end of the year.

Another plus is that I'm pretty sure Skinner can play RW also, but, don't quote me on that one.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

Skinner-Staal-Tarasenko
Steen-Statsny-Schwartz
Jaskin-Lehtera-Fabbri
Porter(FA)-Ott-Reaves

I'd be okay with this too. I'd go with these as the lines though

Skinner-Staal-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Stastny-Jaskin
Steen-Lehtera-Fabbri
Porter-Ott-Reaves

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
If you check out St. Louis Today, there is an article interview Army, basically saying we may not make a trade today.

Don't know if that is posturing or an actual reflection of what is going on. But he brings up good points about salary cap and no trade clauses making moves more difficult.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If you check out St. Louis Today, there is an article interview Army, basically saying we may not make a trade today.

Don't know if that is posturing or an actual reflection of what is going on. But he brings up good points about salary cap and no trade clauses making moves more difficult.

Shanahan is giving the same speeches about Toronto, they can't come out and say trades will happen because they'll look stupid if they don't or be perceived as desperate if a trade doesn't look good. Not really worth paying too much attention to what they are saying.

Having said that, extending Hitchcock has put Armstrong in a tough position. He can say otherwise, but every other GM in the League sees that as Armstrong blaming the roster and wanting to change it up because of that. Unless a team comes in and a trade looks imminent, it's in the other teams interests to wait the situation out and see how the draft/UFA develops for them before revisiting any potential trade for Blues players. That doesn't mean we'll get terrible value if we have to wait until mid-July to trade Oshie, but it does create more problems (any picks would be 2016, more likely need to be dollar-for-dollar trade, market might be smaller because teams got their UFA's/other trades).

I'm trying to be optimistic and think there will be a lot of action today, but I'm not holding my breath.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

The last time I remember him talking like that, he went nuts at the trade deadline.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I don't trust Armstrong for anything he says on these important days. Like 2MM said, Armstrong said he would be quiet at the deadline and all of a sudden we see trades for Bortuzzo and Jokinen out of left field. I'd say the chances we make a move today are around 40-50%.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I don't trust Armstrong for anything he says on these important days. Like 2MM said, Armstrong said he would be quiet at the deadline and all of a sudden we see trades for Bortuzzo and Jokinen out of left field. I'd say the chances we make a move today are around 40-50%.

He also said he was comfortable with Halak as our goalie heading into the playoffs and made the Miller trade 2 days later

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
And Armstrong also said Jaskin had a guaranteed spot out of camp.

Just continuing the trend, basically everything he says is a lie.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
So what are the actual chances of a move happening today? Something for a first would be great, but Idk about backes+ or something for a late pick.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
JR tweeted that there has been discussions between St. Louis and Pittsburgh today but nothing is imminent. Said Oshie's name was involved.

I have zero confidence in a possible trade with Pit being beneficial for the Blues. They dont have the picks nor the NHL ready talent for the Blues to break even. :shakehead

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
I have zero confidence in a possible trade with Pit being beneficial for the Blues. They dont have the picks nor the NHL ready talent for the Blues to break even. :shakehead

Agreed. I can only hope that JR was tweeting from his phone and was typing Edmonton, and it auto corrected to Pittsburgh. :naughty:

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
JR was mentioning Brandon Suter in regards to a Oshie trade to Pittsburg. Save close to a million in cap space and get a 26 year old center. Would move Backes to wing, if that is a goal. What would you all think on this?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
JR was mentioning Brandon Suter in regards to a Oshie trade to Pittsburg. Save close to a million in cap space and get a 26 year old center. Would move Backes to wing, if that is a goal. What would you all think on this?

Read any thread we have

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

Backes is best at center, Oshie is worth more to us returning than a trade involving Suter as the main piece, and saving close to a million in cap space for 1 year (the length of Suter's contract) is negligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad