Speculation: Trade Game

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Oh lawd Mood. You made me spit out my delicious Boulevard Blonde ale. You owe me big time now. I can't get that stuff in St. Louis.

Just to make sure that doesn't mean I get brought into your madhouse, right? I mean, I'd offer you some of the high quality local brew in replacement but...uh...there isn't any.
At all.
Which makes life as a Blues fan troublesome, I'll admit...

I've gotta make sure the service isn't being conscripted because, frankly, I've been reading this board over the past couple of days and it's given me a headache of truly epic proportions. I'm pretty sure I'd just set fire to things.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Pens fan coming in peace. Love your STL line - lots of fun.

Roman Polak was traded to the Maple Leafs for Gunnarsson and a pick last year. Why did the Maple Leafs make this trade? What can you tell me about Polak's game? If the Pens had to take him in a Kessel trade, would he be a liability (conditionally, of course, and entirely dependent on the number of minutes he plays)?

Thanks.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Polak is built like a refrigerator and skates like the wind. It's entirely possible he could carry the entire team between the hotel and the arena a mild, pre-game warmup.
Everyone else comes off the ice huffing and puffing, Polak needs about 5 deep breaths and he's back to normal.
He's also evidently pretty popular with his teammates.
He hits pretty well but isn't overly punishing.
About 3 times per year he loses his mind and attempts to fight someone, he either wins ("Opening the Polak door") or loses horribly.

His biggest issue is that if he has to handle the puck...it's like a ticking time bomb. You're hoping he can get it over to a skilled technician before it blows up. His shot is mostly a danger to other people and not so much to score (it's kinda like a psychotic roulette ball) and you do have to be concerned that his style of play will be an issue as he ages.

He was traded because of a numbers game in St. Louis. Basically the Blues had Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo on the right side and needed something on the left desperately. Had Polak been left-handed he would have never left.

As long as the Penguins are not planning on him being the primary puck handler on a pairing or on the first pairing he should be a very good pickup and the Pens shouldn't "have" to take him on at all.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Polak is built like a refrigerator and skates like the wind. It's entirely possible he could carry the entire team between the hotel and the arena a mild, pre-game warmup.
Everyone else comes off the ice huffing and puffing, Polak needs about 5 deep breaths and he's back to normal.
He's also evidently pretty popular with his teammates.
He hits pretty well but isn't overly punishing.
About 3 times per year he loses his mind and attempts to fight someone, he either wins ("Opening the Polak door") or loses horribly.

His biggest issue is that if he has to handle the puck...it's like a ticking time bomb. You're hoping he can get it over to a skilled technician before it blows up. His shot is mostly a danger to other people and not so much to score (it's kinda like a psychotic roulette ball) and you do have to be concerned that his style of play will be an issue as he ages.

He was traded because of a numbers game in St. Louis. Basically the Blues had Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo on the right side and needed something on the left desperately. Had Polak been left-handed he would have never left.

As long as the Penguins are not planning on him being the primary puck handler on a pairing or on the first pairing he should be a very good pickup and the Pens shouldn't "have" to take him on at all.
Thanks for this. He seems like a good guy to slot on the right side with a young puck mover like Pouliot. And his conditioning sounds a lot like Letang's - that's great news. The guy now sounds like a "steal" of sorts in any prospective deals with the Leafs. Take care of Bortz guys - really enjoyed stopping in St. Louis last year.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Thanks for this. He seems like a good guy to slot on the right side with a young puck mover like Pouliot. And his conditioning sounds a lot like Letang's - that's great news. The guy now sounds like a "steal" of sorts in any prospective deals with the Leafs. Take care of Bortz guys - really enjoyed stopping in St. Louis last year.

If he has a puck-mover to play with, you will enjoy his game a lot.

RR10*

I actually prefer Polak over Gunnarsson. Gunnarsson is soft and not really good at anything, meh defenseman. Atleast Polak could hit and skate like a convict.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Rumors going around E-town was they were in on Shattenkirk who is being shopped...

Kevin Shattenkirk
Justin Schultz
Edm 2016 1st
Edm 2016 2nd
Edm 2016 4th?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Rumors going around E-town was they were in on Shattenkirk who is being shopped...

Kevin Shattenkirk
Justin Schultz
Edm 2016 1st
Edm 2016 2nd
Edm 2016 4th?

Glad they are only rumors for now. That would be a rebuilding trade, not a win now type trade.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Kevin Shattenkirk
Justin Schultz
Edm 2016 1st
Edm 2016 2nd
Edm 2016 4th?

That may be what EDM was offering, but I can guarantee you the asking price included RNH or LD in some way, shape or form. I consider Shatty to be a luxury on a team with Pietrangelo, but his value has never been higher and he would be on the top pairing of 10-15 teams in the league. The two biggest needs the Blues have are a #1C and a proven sniping winger to compliment Tarasenko. There is virtually a 0% chance he gets traded for anything else.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If he goes to Edmonton, RNH or Draiaitl+ better be coming back.

As for the "Game" goes, did anyone predict the Blues would (1) Trade for Abeltshauser and (2) Qualify Paajarvi while (3) not moving anyone else?

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
Detroit Red Wings fan here..... but also have plenty of family in St. Louis who love the Blues.

Saw that the wings were looking at Shattenkirk and wanted to come see what Blues fans thought he should/would get in return.

In need of a top center and a sniper is a little bit what I saw. Looks like you guys are also in good salary cap situation even before signing Tarasenko.

So spitballing, but what if Detroit offered, Darren Helm, Teemu Pulkkinen, and Kindle + a 2016 3rd rounder for Shattenkirk?

Helm is listed as a winger, but plays center often. He's not a first line center but would be a very capable second line center and is a penalty killing monster. Pulkkinen isn't NHL proven yet, but tore up the AHL, and has a bullet of a shot (sniper). Most fans in Detroit don't want to trade him while is value is so low, and feel he will produce big numbers this year under his former AHL coach. But the numbers game in Detroit has him as the first to go due to their depth. Kindl is better than he looks, but Babs never let him show off his offensive game... but he does come with a stupid cap number for the lack of what he's been able to accomplish thus far.

Thoughts....

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Detroit Red Wings fan here..... but also have plenty of family in St. Louis who love the Blues.

Saw that the wings were looking at Shattenkirk and wanted to come see what Blues fans thought he should/would get in return.

In need of a top center and a sniper is a little bit what I saw. Looks like you guys are also in good salary cap situation even before signing Tarasenko.

So spitballing, but what if Detroit offered, Darren Helm, Teemu Pulkkinen, and Kindle + a 2016 3rd rounder for Shattenkirk?

Helm is listed as a winger, but plays center often. He's not a first line center but would be a very capable second line center and is a penalty killing monster. Pulkkinen isn't NHL proven yet, but tore up the AHL, and has a bullet of a shot (sniper). Most fans in Detroit don't want to trade him while is value is so low, and feel he will produce big numbers this year under his former AHL coach. But the numbers game in Detroit has him as the first to go due to their depth. Kindl is better than he looks, but Babs never let him show off his offensive game... but he does come with a stupid cap number for the lack of what he's been able to accomplish thus far.

Thoughts....

Sorry, but that is a terrible deal for the Blues.

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
Okay....

That's why I was asking. What is a realistic offer in your opinions? I really had no Idea of what is a fair offer for him.

Do you guys not like Helm at all? Or Pulkkinen? Would you prefer a defensive prospect like Marchenko or Ouellete?
I'm guessing you would probably want either Nyquist or Tatar in the deal then....

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Okay....

That's why I was asking. What is a realistic offer in your opinions? I really had no Idea of what is a fair offer for him.

Do you guys not like Helm at all? Or Pulkkinen? Would you prefer a defensive prospect like Marchenko or Ouellete?
I'm guessing you would probably want either Nyquist or Tatar in the deal then....

Yeah, it's not that your value is off, it's that it doesn't make us a better team, and we wouldn't want a bunch of spare parts. Tatar or Nyquist would need to be involved. Like Nyquist + Larkin? Something closer to that...1-2 assets vs. 3-4 lesser pieces.

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
I see. Well it probably won't be happening then as Shattenkirk isn't a priority move for the Red Wings now that they signed Green. Just curious.

Cheers

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We don't know, but apparently Boston has said that Rask is not available.

I think trading Jones to the Sharks killed that rumor. When they just traded for a younger goalie who looked prime to be a starter somewhere, it was a viable rumor that they might move Rask toward a rebuild. However, flipping Jones to San Jose ended that. I doubt they think Subban is ready for prime time duty, even on a rebuild team.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
We don't know, but apparently Boston has said that Rask is not available.

I don't think anything is off the table with Sweeney. I wouldn't even be surprised if either Hayes or Belesky were moved, despite just being acquired, I think everyone is a chip to him.

There was a time I was pining for a Rask, Hamilton and Reilly Smith deal to the Blues for Shattenkirk and Jayden Schwartz and one of your goalies.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I'd love our top 9 if we dealt Berglund and pick/ spec for Tommy Wingels.

He's a perfect 2nd/3rd line tweener. Blocks tons of shots, hits and kills penalties and has a good wrist shot, can actually score unlike berglund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad