Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I had a sense of relief, and hopefulness, when I thought Parise was being traded. I have nothing against him personally, but I feel like he holds the team back.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
I still think we should make a deal with NYR for one of their young goalies.

I don't know how much it'll cost but would a greenway and/or donato work?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I do wonder if NYIs interest level in Parise goes down this summer since they would have one less playoff run of “somewhat useful Parise.” He’s also at the age where any given season he could fall off, so They might not want to trade for him in the summer with the chance of next year being that year.

Reactions: 57special

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I do wonder if NYIs interest level in Parise goes down this summer since they would have one less playoff run of “somewhat useful Parise.” He’s also at the age where any given season he could fall off, so They might not want to trade for him in the summer with the chance of next year being that year.
20+ goals for $2m in cap space is still pretty good deal for them, even if they expect Parise to drop off in years 3-5. His cap hit will be much higher than his performance in those years, but his salary will be almost nothing. Looking at their long term cap situation they might be a team that's more concerned with the real money than the cap space.

The expansion protection slot might be a concern for them, but I'm not sure. My impression was that they have a lot of younger, exempt guys coming up in the next few years, but I might be wrong.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
20+ goals for $2m in cap space is still pretty good deal for them, even if they expect Parise to drop off in years 3-5. His cap hit will be much higher than his performance in those years, but his salary will be almost nothing. Looking at their long term cap situation they might be a team that's more concerned with the real money than the cap space.

The expansion protection slot might be a concern for them, but I'm not sure. My impression was that they have a lot of younger, exempt guys coming up in the next few years, but I might be wrong.

If Parise waives his NMC to go to the Islanders, I don't believe that they have to automatically honor it.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
If Parise waives his NMC to go to the Islanders, I don't believe that they have to automatically honor it.
My understanding is the team that traded for them can choose whether or not to honor it. I wonder if that happens pre- or post-waiver of the clause. So can Parise say "I'll waive only if you honor this"? Or does he say "I'll waive", then the team gets to decide after that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I've been meaning to look it up but I thought that only applied if the clause hadn't kicked in yet (like Stepan's). I think I get this wrong every time it comes up, though.

My understanding is the team that traded for them can choose whether or not to honor it. I wonder if that happens pre- or post-waiver of the clause. So can Parise say "I'll waive only if you honor this"? Or does he say "I'll waive", then the team gets to decide after that.
This sounds much more accurate than my version.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would circle back to Rangers at draft. They have Chytil on the 3rd line because Strome as a C has developed great chemistry with Panarin. And they have 2 1st rounders. And lots of good D prospects that are a couple years away.

They are now in win now mode. But yhey traded Skjei and now have underwater rookies to anchor their left side of their blueline.

Brodin and Greenway for Chytil + 1st + D propect

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I had no idea that moving Parise was even an option. Would be great if we could do it. Makes far more sense than moving Staal. I think a lot of us just wanted to move Staal out of frustration, when it really made no sense either need, or cap wise.

I have no wish to move Suter. We all complain about him and his foibles, but he has been a terrific signing, and more than worth his contract, both in the past, and likely in the future. Should he want to be moved we'd have a line up of teams begging for him.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Really.. really good details here from Russo about Parise, Koivu, TDL, etc.

Edit: GMLL really tried to pull the rug out from GMBG -- Props to bill for telling him to kick rocks.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Cliff notes?
  • After Brassard got hurt, the Isles/GMLL went hard after a C.
  • NYI was after Mikko to fill the C spot
  • Mikko/Parise (inferred) could've been a package deal
  • Kieffer Bellows was likely return for Mikko (FUUUUUU)
  • Mikko didn't waive
  • Parise was a target for NYI since last summer
  • During GMLL efforts to get a C -- GMBG + GMLL had already agreed to swap Ladd + 1st for Parise
  • GMBG was likely to buy out Ladd
  • However, GMLL traded away his 1st for Pageau
  • Once that was done, GMLL went back to GMBG and said we dont have 1st anymore and want you to retain more of Parise's contract -- this is with less than an hour to go of the TDL
  • GMBG said -- ummm no.
  • Good chance they revisit in the summer
  • Parise didn't apprach GMBG for a trade
  • Parise wants to win a cup -- still likes it in MIN tho --
  • GMBG wanted Trochek +++ for Brodin. FLA went elsewhere.
  • Pateryn was never called about. Agent likely tried to stir the pot.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
  • Likely return was Kieffer Bellows for Mikko (FUUUUUU)
  • Mikko didn't waive
  • During GMLL efforts to get a C -- GMBG + GMLL had already agreed to swap Ladd + 1st for Parise
  • Once that was done, GMLL went back to GMBG and said we dont have 1st anymore and want you to retain more of Parise's contract -- this is with less than an hour to go of the TDL
  • GMBG said -- ummm no.
Dang I wish we could’ve gotten that 1st. That would’ve been something

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
  • Kieffer Bellows was likely return for Mikko (FUUUUUU)
  • Mikko didn't waive
  • GMBG said -- ummm no.
Definitely worth the listen to hear Russo talk through the Parise stuff, because a lot of it is speculation. Well-reasoned speculation, in my opinion, but he's up front about what he knows and what he's pieced together on his own.

I didn't get the impression that Lamoriello was trying to pull a fast one. With Brassard out the Islanders needed a center more than another winger right now, so that was the priority. When Koivu wouldn't waive that pushed them toward Pageau, and the price there was a 1st and cap space. I can't really fault them for that. If Lou wants Parise I don't think the door has slammed shut.

It sounds like the right call from Guerin, though. Depending on the details, trading Parise could open up options over the next few years: another protection slot in the expansion draft, a top-9 LW spot, and cap space. But even an aging Parise can bring a lot to the team, even if the legs aren't where they used to be. There's no need to make a bad deal to get out of the contract.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Can you imagine if they managed to ship off Koivu and Parise in the same trade? That would have been insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad