Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Hypothetically what do you think we would’ve done with all that cap space?

Hand out a 7 year NMC to Holtby
Honestly, while I don't think it'll be that specifically, it wouldn't surprise me if they paid up for a UFA goalie. Here's a list of names. I could see them chasing a guy like Hoffman if they ditched another winger. Maybe Markstrom/Halak/Lehner?

FORWARD
Taylor Hall, LW, ARI
Evgenii Dadonov, LW/RW, FLA
Mike Hoffman, LW/RW, FLA
Ilya Kovalchuk, LW/RW, WSH
Tyler Toffoli, LW/RW, VAN
Craig Smith, RW, NSH
Mikael Granlund, LW/RW, NSH
Erik Haula, C/LW, FLA

DEFENSEMAN
Alex Pietrangelo, STL
Torey Krug, BOS
Tyson Barrie, TOR
Erik Gustafsson, CGY
Kevin Shattenkirk, TBL
Sami Vatanen, CAR

GOALIE
Jacob Markstrom, VAN
Jaroslav Halak, BOS
Braden Holtby, WSH
Robin Lehner, VGK
Anton Khudobin, DAL
Thomas Greiss, NYI
Brian Elliott, PHI
Aaron Dell, SJS

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
And a solid chunk of doom and gloom over Zucc's inability to find a spot on the roster.

Yeah and Russo basically said the same as I've been saying all the time, Zuccarello needs better linemates to be effective. The way the Wild have been using him is a joke, terrible waste of skill.

I'm also tired of this whining about him not shooting. He's a playmaker and an assist guy, that's his game and it's been like this for a decade, he's not going to change his game. So did the Wild do their homework before they went after him? Did they know well enough how he plays his game? Probably not, but they still really wanted him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah and Russo basically said the same as I've been saying all the time, Zuccarello needs better linemates to be effective. The way the Wild have been using him is a joke, terrible waste of skill.

I'm also tired of this whining about him not shooting. He's a playmaker and an assist guy, that's his game and it's been like this for a decade, he's not going to change his game. So did the Wild do their homework before they went after him? Did they know well enough how he plays his game? Probably not, but they still really wanted him.
I won't deny that he hasn't had a ton to work with at center, but there's a line between "pass first" and "shoot never" and Zuccarello's been on the wrong side of it lately.

Reactions: TaLoN

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Can you imagine if they managed to ship off Koivu and Parise in the same trade? That would have been insane.
I N S A N E. It was all but done if Mikko waived because the Isles would've found their replacement center for brassard without having to look at Pageau.

MIN:
NYI 1st Rd Pick 2020
Ladd
Kieffer Bellows

NYI:
Parise
Koivu

I'd take that. 100%. Oh well... I'm really hoping something transpires in the summer. I've mentally prepared myself to see Parise go even though he's my favorite Wild player oat

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

At one point he was with staal and Zucker then staal and parise. are those linemates not good enough?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not crazy about Bellows. Don't see the upside, and since he isn't able to play C, just see him as one more middle six at best, but more likely to be a tweener. We sure dodged a bullet drafting Kunin over him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I N S A N E. It was all but done if Mikko waived because the Isles would've found their replacement center for brassard without having to look at Pageau.

MIN:
NYI 1st Rd Pick 2020
Ladd
Kieffer Bellows

NYI:
Parise
Koivu

I'd take that. 100%. Oh well... I'm really hoping something transpires in the summer. I've mentally prepared myself to see Parise go even though he's my favorite Wild player oat

I wouldn't. Swap Bellows with Sorokin and maybe.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Say what you want about what we have to offer, but he was stapled to our #1 center for much of the year. He was fine. Still probably not worth $6 million, but fine.

And him being pass-first is all well and good, but he was still averaging ~2 shots per game over his career. At 1.5, this year is by far his lowest. It's not "whining" if you're pointing out the fact that he isn't shooting as much as he has before.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017

I also wouldn't say that it is just "whining" Sounds like the coaches/management have been fairly vocal and upset about him not taking those chances. I get being a play maker but at the same time sometimes the best play one can make is putting a shot on net. He has a good shot, he never uses it. The rebounds or traffic they create are just as much of a play making ability as passing it 2 foot behind a guy with a trailing defender. Listening to it Russo did mention line mates but also talks about how he has had a chance with the best we have to offer and didn't prosper. As a vet, and all the things he is made out to be.. he should still be able to elevate the play for his line and right now he is hardly carrying his own play.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I agree that sometimes he should shoot instead of trying to make a pass, coaches on the Rangers also yelled at him for the same thing. But he's always been like this, he'll try to pass if he sees a linemate there. What are you supposed to do when he doesn't want to change this? He's stubborn, and has a lot of pride playing in this league for 10 years. When coaches ask him to change his game he may not listen.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I agree that sometimes he should shoot instead of trying to make a pass, coaches on the Rangers also yelled at him for the same thing. But he's always been like this, he'll try to pass if he sees a linemate there. What are you supposed to do when he doesn't want to change this? He's stubborn, and has a lot of pride playing in this league for 10 years. When coaches ask him to change his game he may not listen.

Then they should ask him to be traded or be shuffled on the 3rd or 4th line.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Then they should ask him to be traded or be shuffled on the 3rd or 4th line.

Maybe you would have a different view on it if you think about why he's doing this. He's one of the most unselfish players in the league, he wants his linemates to score and have success. One example was his assist on a Dumba goal, who had been scoreless for a while. Zuccarello has a rare problem, he lacks selfishness. It should be a good thing, but perhaps not in hockey.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If Montreal put together a package of Suzuki + Caufield + 1st in 2020 and in 2021, a 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2020 for the 1st overall pick, would you do it?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If Montreal put together a package of Suzuki + Caufield + 1st in 2020 and in 2021, a 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2020 for the 1st overall pick, would you do it?

If those draft picks are unconditional, I'd certainly give it some thought. I like Suzuki, but am still uncertain on what kind of NHLer Caulfied will become.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I would only even consider that if the 1st 2020 was 2 or 3.

I would ask for 2/3, Kotka and Suzuki for 1. If they don’t want to do that, I’ll take Lafreniere.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I have an issue with a statement like this. This guy is the second highest paid forward on the team. He should be THE guy on a 2nd line and the second best on the 1st line, with the first best being the center. The problem is 1) Fiala is above him and plays the same position (LHS RW) 2) he hasn't meshed with like anyone (red flag) and 3) someone like Luke Kunin is younger, cheaper, and producing pretty close to the same whilst fitting many different roles (center and wing, defensive situations, etc).

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Back on the Dumba for Nylander bandwagon. After Leafs slide out of the playoffs early, I think Wild can offer an attractive young forward (e.g. Greenway) to sweeten the deal.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Back to Russo's speculation on the failed Parise trade... he mentioned the Islanders had to make a move for Pageau because Brassard got hurt. Brassard missed two games and is already playing again, so part can't be accurate.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Imo there is a difference between preparing yourself for an injured player not being 100% when he does come back earlier or not while battling for a spot vs being able to confidently stay put and hope for the best.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
What would you guys think of the proposed draft system where the draft order is determined by the most points earned by teams after being eliminated from the playoffs? So basically, since Detroit is already eliminated, they would already start earning "points" towards the draft order. If a team was eliminated on the last day of the season, they would have zero points after being eliminated, and hence, be the last lottery pick. It might help tanking a little bit... at least at the end of the year, but still gives the worst teams an advantage at getting a high draft pick.

Of all of the funky draft ideas out there, I kinda like this one.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What would you guys think of the proposed draft system where the draft order is determined by the most points earned by teams after being eliminated from the playoffs? So basically, since Detroit is already eliminated, they would already start earning "points" towards the draft order. If a team was eliminated on the last day of the season, they would have zero points after being eliminated, and hence, be the last lottery pick. It might help tanking a little bit... at least at the end of the year, but still gives the worst teams an advantage at getting a high draft pick.

I kind of like it. I wonder if anybody has looked back at prior years and done the math to see how much, if any, that the draft order changed.

Although it might have some unintended consequences regarding the trade deadline.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

So again, no chance of rewarding a team who tried all the way til the end, don't like it.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So again, no chance of rewarding a team who tried all the way til the end, don't like it.
It eliminates straight tanking at the end of the year, but there's that awkward middle phase of the year where bad teams are not yet eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad