Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Parise works his tail off every night, but Staal sure doesn't, Suter doesn't, Zucker doesn't... now I see the same with Zuccarello too.

@TaLoN Thats because our owner and GMs have been fine with players treating this as their retirement home.

Zuccarello is secure for the rest of his career. Staal and Suter too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well the first thing he did was hand Spurgeon a retirement contract with a NMC, so
Yeah, I was about to edit my post about that fact... but Spurgeon still tries to bring it most every night, he's more like Parise that way.

Staal and Suter in particular, they haven't had to fight for their careers because the game has always come so easy to them. Zach, same contact as Suter, not nearly as naturally as gifted has always had to fight to play at the level he does. Spurgeon has always been an underdog himself and it shows in how hard he plays.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Do we actually know if that was him or Kurvers or Fenton? August 21st to September 14th, could be any one of them.
I'm pretty sure it was Guerin. In fact, I'd bet hard cash that this...
Which GM do you find most reasonable to deal with?

Bill Guerin. He’ll sit down and talk to you and listen to your ideas and won’t have a closed mind on everything.
... was from Eustace King.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Do we actually know if that was him or Kurvers or Fenton? August 21st to September 14th, could be any one of them.

Guerin was hired August 21st, Spurgeon was signed September 14th. It certainly wasn’t Fenton, and regardless of whether Guerin was actually the one to negotiate it or not, Guerin had the job for over three weeks at that point. That contract, good or bad, is on Guerin. Just like how we’re not sure how much of a hand Fenton had in the 2018 draft with Flahr still here, but good or bad, that draft is on Fenton.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
For the next CBA, the owners should push back on the NMCs/NTCs...maybe allowing each team to have a max of 2 NMC contracts at any given time, or something like that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
For the next CBA, the owners should push back on the NMCs/NTCs...maybe allowing each team to have a max of 2 NMC contracts at any given time, or something like that.
Doubt the owners would push for it, doubt the players would ever agree to it.

It's an individual clause... it's on the teams to not handcuff themselves with them. NTCs in particular aren't hurting us... it's the NMCs and the loop hole contracts from the prior CBAs that hurt making two players unable to move due to potential penalties even if we could get them to agree to a trade.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Yeah, I was about to edit my post about that fact... but Spurgeon still tries to bring it most every night, he's more like Parise that way.

Staal and Suter in particular, they haven't had to fight for their careers because the game has always come so easy to them. Zach, same contact as Suter, not nearly as naturally as gifted has always had to fight to play at the level he does. Spurgeon has always been an underdog himself and it shows in how hard he plays.

Could be that Suter actually knows what he's doing out there, anticipates play, and generally doesn't have to skate like crazy to make up for being lost and five feet tall.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Could be that Suter actually knows what he's doing out there, anticipates play, and generally doesn't have to skate like crazy to make up for being lost and five feet tall.
I just said the game comes easy to him... when he plays well and gets away with it fine, when he doesn't play well, yet still tries to get away with it, not so fine.

The real problem is, younger impressionable players see that and think they can do the same. Nobody pushes them for more because the guys who should be doing the pushing are doing it themselves.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I just said the game comes easy to him... when he plays well and gets away with it fine, when he doesn't play well, yet still tries to get away with it, not so fine.

He's not as effective as he was, I agree. Hate when that's attributed to lack of effort.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He's not as effective as he was, I agree. Hate when that's attributed to lack of effort.
You can see differences in effort from one night to the next. One night, he's in a race for the puck and actually makes an effort to beat the opposition. The next night, same situation, he's coasting, let's the other player get there, we get pinned in our zone.

Little things like that make a world of difference in puck possession one way or the other.

When players stop moving their feet, there is clearly less effort being put into the game.

Zucker had stopped moving his feet for several games, got demoted for it... got bumped back up to the 2nd line, suddenly his feet were moving non-stop.

That's a clear difference in effort.

BTW - That's one of my biggest frustrations with Zuccarello this year. Watching him for years in New York, then after he was traded to Dallas... he played like an energy bug with skill. Now he coasts and watches way more than he did before coming here.

As mentioned, he's got that NMC now, so he feels too comfortable.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Well, we have an additional $5.5M in cap space next summer. Totaling $16.2M right now before the cap increase or any other moves (Foligno, Pateryn, Dubnyk).

Could definitely utilize some to see if we could get ahead of a Kunin contract or something.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well in any case, no point in not trading Brodin at the deadline for a 1st+prospect now.

SuterSpurgeon
Soucy-Dumba
Idk like Hunt maybe or just some semi warm body-Menell

Still got 5 D deep, just switch sides

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So... what do we talk about now?
Brodin being traded.
Brodin and/or Dumba and if Koivu would waive (he won't).
in Russo's article yesterday he mentioned that in a trade for Dumba, they're looking for a 1st + a center + a prospect, something they don't think can be had for the time being.... but mentioned Brodin could be moved.

So you can knock Dumba off the trade list until he rebounds. Which is the absolute right move IMO.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Brodin being traded.

in Russo's article yesterday he mentioned that in a trade for Dumba, they're looking for a 1st + a center + a prospect, something they don't think can be had for the time being.... but mentioned Brodin could be moved.

Maybe Chuck will take him for Morgan Frost and 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad