Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
On the subject of trading when a player's stock is up, would a player like Foligno net a 1st and a prospect like Amirov for a team like Toronto that has Cup aspirations, and lacks toughness and depth up front?

- Hartman would fetch less, but would be easier to move due to his lower cap hit and expiring contract.

- Would any team be dumb enough to take Rask?

The way the team is playing it's hard to justify trading away Foligno or Hartman. It would have to be an overpay. Both, but especially Foligno, are not replaceable.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
On the subject of trading when a player's stock is up, would a player like Foligno net a 1st and a prospect like Amirov for a team like Toronto that has Cup aspirations, and lacks toughness and depth up front?

- Hartman would fetch less, but would be easier to move due to his lower cap hit and expiring contract.

- Would any team be dumb enough to take Rask?

The way the team is playing it's hard to justify trading away Foligno or Hartman. It would have to be an overpay. Both, but especially Foligno, are not replaceable.

Prior to his extension, Foligno would almost assuredly get a 1st today. I'm not sure what the value is with his new deal. Teams probably aren't looking to sign onto soon to be 30 year old bottom sixer at 3.1 for the next 3 years in this cap situation.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
A 1st covers a lot of ground. A #8oa, #16oa, and #28oa all have radically different values, IMO.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Trocheck would be a godsend for this team right now. We need another center bad. I hope we don't explore the rental market, it's not good anyways, but I wouldn't be against making a play for a center with term like Trocheck would've been at the deadline last year.

My bad, misread this. Disregard.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If the packers weren't community owned there is no way the Packers would've stayed in Green bay. They would be in Milwaukee. The NHL chases the market size. Right now Houston is the 5th almost 4th largest market in the US.

If you're talking strictly population, Houston is 5th, but Miami is 7th, Atlanta is 9th, and Phoenix is 10th. High population doesn't necessarily equate to hockey success. Beyond that, Austin might be a better place in just Texas alone, as it's one of the fastest growing metros in the country with a lot of new money being injected into the area. That, and San Antonio is an hour away, adding another huge metro center. Some people even predict Austin/San Antonio could develop into its own little megalopolis. But even ignoring that, there would still be a couple cities in North America that would probably be worth looking into before a second team in Texas.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
If you're talking strictly population, Houston is 5th, but Miami is 7th, Atlanta is 9th, and Phoenix is 10th. High population doesn't necessarily equate to hockey success. Beyond that, Austin might be a better place in just Texas alone, as it's one of the fastest growing metros in the country with a lot of new money being injected into the area. That, and San Antonio is an hour away, adding another huge metro center. Some people even predict Austin/San Antonio could develop into its own little megalopolis. But even ignoring that, there would still be a couple cities in North America that would probably be worth looking into before a second team in Texas.
If the NHL is going to add a second texas team they would be stupid to not pick Houston.

the metro population of Houston is 7,066,141. 5th in US

Austin: 2,227,083 29th.

San Antonio 2,550,960 24th

both those texas markets are smaller than Twin cities.

you are right that market size doesn’t mean success, but it does mean money.

is NYC more valuable or Minnesota?
Is Chicago more valuable or Nashville?
Or LA more valuable or Denver?

the NHL wants big markets.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If the NHL is going to add a second texas team they would be stupid to not pick Houston.

the metro population of Houston is 7,066,141. 5th in US

Austin: 2,227,083 29th.

San Antonio 2,550,960 24th

both those texas markets are smaller than Twin cities.

you are right that market size doesn’t mean success, but it does mean money.

is NYC more valuable or Minnesota?
Is Chicago more valuable or Nashville?
Or LA more valuable or Denver?

the NHL wants big markets.

Again, Miami is 7th, Atlanta is 9th, Phoenix is 10th in metro population.

The Florida Panthers are the 30th most valuable team in the league, the Arizona Coyotes are the 31st.

The Dallas Stars play in the fourth largest metro area in the country, and they're the 12th most valuable franchise.

Montreal is about the size of Seattle, the 15th largest metro area in the US, and is the 3rdnd most valuable team.

Toronto is slightly smaller than Atlanta. One of those cities lost a franchise, the other has the 2nd most valuable franchise.

Pittsburgh is the 27th largest metro area and they have the 11th most value.

Minneapolis is 16th, San Jose is 35th in metro populations, but the Wild are 19th, Sharks are 16th in value.

This isn't just "hurr durr go down a list and pick the city with the most people and you get success" like you want to make it seem. There are far more nuanced criteria.

"The NHL wants big markets" - Vegas is ahead of Austin by less than 2% and Austin is growing at a rate DOUBLE Vegas. They don't want "big" markets, they want markets that project to be successful long term. Just because Houston is the highest on the list without an NHL team, doesn't mean it's the best option. Why do you think the league just expanded to both Seattle and Vegas, whose combined population is less than Houston, while Houston still doesn't have a team?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

Who would these "couple of cities in NA" be?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the packers weren't community owned there is no way the Packers would've stayed in Green bay. They would be in Milwaukee. The NHL chases the market size. Right now Houston is the 5th almost 4th largest market in the US.
And they have 37 hockey fans.

The greatest untapped market in NA for hockey is in the "Golden Horseshoe", the area from Niagara Falls to Oshawa, a satellite city to the east of Toronto. About 8-9 M people, with access to a million more within an hour drive. High percentage of rabid hockey fans, with money, who can't get a sniff of Leafs tickets. Season's Tickets are passed down in wills. Any team that gets into this market has a license to print money.

Last edited:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Again, Miami is 7th, Atlanta is 9th, Phoenix is 10th in metro population.

The Florida Panthers are the 30th most valuable team in the league, the Arizona Coyotes are the 31st.

The Dallas Stars play in the fourth largest metro area in the country, and they're the 12th most valuable franchise.

Montreal is about the size of Seattle, the 15th largest metro area in the US, and is the 3rdnd most valuable team.

Toronto is slightly smaller than Atlanta. One of those cities lost a franchise, the other has the 2nd most valuable franchise.

Pittsburgh is the 27th largest metro area and they have the 11th most value.

Minneapolis is 16th, San Jose is 35th in metro populations, but the Wild are 19th, Sharks are 16th in value.

This isn't just "hurr durr go down a list and pick the city with the most people and you get success" like you want to make it seem. There are far more nuanced criteria.

"The NHL wants big markets" - Vegas is ahead of Austin by less than 2% and Austin is growing at a rate DOUBLE Vegas. They don't want "big" markets, they want markets that project to be successful long term. Just because Houston is the highest on the list without an NHL team, doesn't mean it's the best option. Why do you think the league just expanded to both Seattle and Vegas, whose combined population is less than Houston, while Houston still doesn't have a team?

I think Florida and Arizona have more to do with where their stadiums are located. If the panthers were actually in Miami and Yotes were actually in Phoenix their value would go up.

Dallas is actually a success story for south market expansion.

I should clarify the NHL wants to grow the game, This is why Brettman looks so against moving a team out of Arizona. They want more Austin Matthews stories. Big markets = more people who might become hockey fans. That is where the money lays, making new fans.

Stars have a impact on Texas hockey there is evidence that shows this. In terms of both how many watch hockey in dallas and how many now play it.

Bigger market means more people they could potentially make into hockey fans. which means more money. Bigger market means they can negotiate better TV deals due to number of TV sets. (this is the same reason maryland and rutgers were brought to the Big 10)

And they have 37 hockey fans.

The greatest untapped market in NA for hockey is in the "Golden Horseshoe", the area from Niagara Falls to Oshawa, a satellite city to the east of Toronto. About 8-9 M people, with access to a million more within an hour drive. High percentage of rabid hockey fans, with money, who can't get a sniff of Leafs tickets. Season's Tickets are passed down in wills. Any team that gets into this market has a license to print money.

I would love another Canadian team but I don't see it happening due to the CAD.(though i know it is going up) Plus the NHL wants to grow the game. The same criticize comes up when we hear about QC and wood buffalo. Everyone that lives there is already hockey fans. I believe the NHL wants markets that can grow the game. 37 fans now? You think that number will grow if they have a hockey team?

(full disclosure i rather expansion stop and i don't like teams relocating.)

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Rangers fans think Zibanejad could be traded, has NMC but he's probably interested in the Wild.
What do you think he's worth? He'd be a great guy between Kap & Zucc.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Rangers fans think Zibanejad could be traded, has NMC but he's probably interested in the Wild.
What do you think he's worth? He'd be a great guy between Kap & Zucc.

What makes you say he's probably interested in the Wild?

Anyway, my liking it or not would depend on what we had to give up. Z-bad has always struck me as one of those guys that's really good for a year or two, and then just ok for the rest of his career. I can't help but think those good years have passed, and I wouldn't want to pay a premium for them. I do think he'd be an upgrade over probably all of our centers, though that isn't saying much.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
So weird I bounce back and forth every day with what avenue the wild should take.

A. Go all out splash for Eichel? Zib etc?
B. Make smaller moves
C. Hold and sell at deadline if out or free up cap after run if in and continue the course with Brackett running our drafts.

Today I'm leaning towards option C.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Market saturation. Do I want to be one of many sports teams or be the one and only? Like AKL said, Austin is growing like a mamba jamma.
Austin is a longhorn town. Columbus plays second fiddle to Ohio State. No reason to believe the same wouldn't be true to NHL Austin. Plus Austin has a MLS team not that it matters much they just aren't the one and only.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
So weird I bounce back and forth every day with what avenue the wild should take.

A. Go all out splash for Eichel? Zib etc?
B. Make smaller moves
C. Hold and sell at deadline if out or free up cap after run if in and continue the course with Brackett running our drafts.

Today I'm leaning towards option C.

the way our d core is set up, I wouldn’t mind a splash. If we can somehow get a good center without giving up Rossi, Boldy, or Addison, I’m more than cool with it. Trade fiala, trade Dumba idc if the return is solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad