Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So weird I bounce back and forth every day with what avenue the wild should take.

A. Go all out splash for Eichel? Zib etc?
B. Make smaller moves
C. Hold and sell at deadline if out or free up cap after run if in and continue the course with Brackett running our drafts.

Today I'm leaning towards option C.
I'd prefer A even if it means aiming lower than those guys (e.g. Danault, Monahan, etc.) but that option seems restricted by multiple things: those other teams pulling the plugs on their own seasons, the league-wide cap situation and the expansion draft in particular. It's always hard to swing deals like that at the deadline and come out ahead, but this year seems especially fraught.

If there's some kind of Cole/Pateryn type move around one of our UFA forwards that could make sense, but failing that I'd just stand pat. Our lack of top-6 centers and a powerplay effectively cap any major playoff aspirations this year, but we've already got two 1sts and a strong prospect pool. Let it ride and celebrate Kaprizov coming over with a playoff round or two.

Reactions: DANOZ28

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What makes you say he's probably interested in the Wild?

Anyway, my liking it or not would depend on what we had to give up. Z-bad has always struck me as one of those guys that's really good for a year or two, and then just ok for the rest of his career. I can't help but think those good years have passed, and I wouldn't want to pay a premium for them. I do think he'd be an upgrade over probably all of our centers, though that isn't saying much.
Put him and Kap on the same line and you'd be in hair heaven.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
victor rask also has more points in 4 less games....
While shooting 30%+ and playing with probably the most dangerous player this team has had since Gaborik.

I'm not trying to pump Danault, but if this team wants to add something at the deadline the obvious target is at center. And while I'd rather go after a higher end option the list of guys that are likely to move probably isn't all that long.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Zibanejad is a personal friend of Zuccarello, I believe they're still in contact. They also played great together.
And I'd say the Wild are pretty good now.
As tired as I get of the "target Zuccarello's former linemates" angle, this is one case where I do think it's worth looking at. If the Rangers are seriously gearing up to chase after Eichel it might put extending Zibanejad out of reach. It'd be dangerous to move him before sealing a deal for a replacement, but it's worth at least investigating.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
the way our d core is set up, I wouldn’t mind a splash. If we can somehow get a good center without giving up Rossi, Boldy, or Addison, I’m more than cool with it. Trade fiala, trade Dumba idc if the return is solid.

I think its crazy how many people are willing to move Fiala. Maybe its just me but if Kaprizov wasn't here everyone would still be gushing over him. He has been streakier this year, but that skill he carries is some of the best that one of our rosters have ever seen. Sure he has his faults, but hes still a young, good, scoring winger.

For me out of the options its option C. What Guerin and Brackett have done during some weird partial seasons has shown to work.. even if on paper it looks like it shouldn't. An injection of our higher end prospects into the mix might be the splash we need, just have to wait until next year. I think I was way too hard on Evason.. seems to have the guys playing at their highest.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Just to double-check: we're probably looking at Boldy joining the team after his season with BC is over, right? Because I'm pretty okay with that being our "acquisition" this year.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Just to double-check: we're probably looking at Boldy joining the team after his season with BC is over, right? Because I'm pretty okay with that being our "acquisition" this year.
If we assume that Boldy is going to join the team after the BC season. We most likely need to make room for him in the lineup. Would it make sense to trade someone away to open up this? If so, whom (realistically)?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If we assume that Boldy is going to join the team after the BC season. We most likely need to make room for him in the lineup. Would it make sense to trade someone away to open up this? If so, whom (realistically)?
I'd have no problem trading away guys like Bjugstad and Johansson, but it doesn't sound like there'll be much of a market for them. Plus Bjugstad seems to have had some decent games with Sturm and Johansson has a history of doing well in the playoffs, so just keeping some forward depth wouldn't be bad either.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think the Zibanejad trade thing is more a narrative created by their fan base that reality. Don’t see why the Rangers would do that
It could happen in a 3 team deal. Zibanjed to Wild. Eichel to Rangers. Boatload of young players, prospects, and picks to Buffalo.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
the guy who was just benched comes to mind

Parise in a bad contract swap with Nashville for Johansen would be nice, but stupid Parise prob wouldn't waive to go to NSH. Man I just want Parise off this team. Honestly, I wouldn't mind Suter gone too. If I could simply choose I'd keep Dumba over Suter all day.

lol most of those pics and players better be coming from NY because im only giving up a 1st for zib or a 2nd + b prospect

I'd do the lower of our 1sts + a prospect like Hentges at most

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GuerinUp

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
Do you guys reckon Dumbas friendship with Kaprizov might cause Guerin to hesitate trading him?

Im guessing Kaprizov already understands it's a business but seeing one of the livelier guys in the locker room getting traded, a guy that had him over to watch world juniors at his place (my only evidence that they are close) maybe that would leave a bad taste in his mouth, which could lead to trickier contract negotiations

Also concerned Kaprizov will get offer sheeted

Last edited by a moderator:

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
He can’t be.
And even If he was I wouldn't be either way. Kap likes the weather likes the atmosphere seemingly loving the team. Doesn't seem cocky or self centered in anyway he carries himself on or off the ice so idk I guess I think it's a rational fear but very unlikely.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As tired as I get of the "target Zuccarello's former linemates" angle, this is one case where I do think it's worth looking at. If the Rangers are seriously gearing up to chase after Eichel it might put extending Zibanejad out of reach. It'd be dangerous to move him before sealing a deal for a replacement, but it's worth at least investigating.
Yeah, but wouldn't one of the pieces they would offer for Eichel be Zibanejad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad