Trade, FA & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
There’s a real mythology that our top 4 is at fault and not the system - when we play zone we dominate
Jomo-demelo have great chemistry and there’s no reason to think Stanley won’t replace Forbort with Pionk next year

if there’s a value UFA D get him but if we don’t - I’m not worried either

Reactions: trebendan

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sure but just because we beat Edmonton doesn't mean our defence wasn't disastrous this year, and we can use all the help we can get

It is a lot less disastrous with DeMelo and Poolman on their correct pairs - and with the arrival of Stanley.

But our top 4 is still weak. We need a 2LD and a 1RD. Heinola and/or Samberg will solve the problem at 2LD. I don't see either of them being the answer at 1RD. And DeMelo is a place holder there.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
As far as I am concerned, we should try to solve our defense situation in-house (Heinola and Samberg). I feel like we are developing very well right now and bringing in our own helps us to maintain our salary structure.
Agree 100%. Heinola, Samberg and Kovacevic are ready for NHL duty. I’d be fine if the Jets didn’t bring in any D via UFA or trade.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There’s a real mythology that our top 4 is at fault and not the system - when we play zone we dominate
Jomo-demelo have great chemistry and there’s no reason to think Stanley won’t replace Forbort with Pionk next year

if there’s a value UFA D get him but if we don’t - I’m not worried either
With the way that Morrissey-DeMelo have been playing, I'm starting to think that our biggest hole on D is a 2 LD to pair with Pionk. With Stanley, Heinola and Samberg as internal options to provide an upgrade on Forbort, I wonder if the need isn't as acute. Heinola can add some offensive spark to the D, and Samberg brings the defensive shutdown ability. Stanley might bring a bit of both, at least on a 3rd pairing.

It might be a bit of a risky strategy for a team that wants to be a true contender, but acquiring a bona fide top pairing D would be very expensive. One option might be to go into next season with internal solutions on D, expecting that to be at least good enough to put the Jets into a playoff position while they assess Heinola, Samberg and Stanley. Then they can consider acquiring a D at the TDL (ideally with some term) if they are close enough, but don't look like they have the D to be a champion calibre team.

I do think the Jets could use a bit more depth up front, particularly on RW. Wheeler is not likely to maintain his level, and if Appleton goes in the expansion draft, the Jets will be quite thin on RW. They could use a strong RW. Armia might be a really good fit, to play on the 3rd line with Lowry, and slide up to the top 6 at times. If the Jets can re-sign Copp and Stastny...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Stastny-Dubois-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Armia
Harkins-Gus-Vesalainen

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Heinola

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
It is a lot less disastrous with DeMelo and Poolman on their correct pairs - and with the arrival of Stanley.

But our top 4 is still weak. We need a 2LD and a 1RD. Heinola and/or Samberg will solve the problem at 2LD. I don't see either of them being the answer at 1RD. And DeMelo is a place holder there.
DeMelo is doing fine with JoMo as the 1RD even though he’s probably not a true #1. Kovacevic can be the 3RD.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
DeMelo is doing fine with JoMo as the 1RD even though he’s probably not a true #1. Kovacevic can be the 3RD.

Yes. But as long as we have DeMelo at 1RD and Forbort at 2LD, our top 4 is a weak top 4. DeMelo is adequate. A contender needs better than that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice will never start start those 3 next year as our 4th liners.
Did you think he would start Stanley and Poolman as a D pair for the playoffs? Or what about Vesalainen on the 2nd line in game 1 of the playoffs?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Did you think he would start Stanley and Poolman as a D pair for the playoffs? Or what about Vesalainen on the 2nd line in game 1 of the playoffs?
No I didn't but you are talking about a 4 line with how many games among them?
It'll never happen and I'd bet on it.
At least one of the current 4th liners will be back and maybe more.

djc

Jul 12, 2011
With the way that Morrissey-DeMelo have been playing, I'm starting to think that our biggest hole on D is a 2 LD to pair with Pionk. With Stanley, Heinola and Samberg as internal options to provide an upgrade on Forbort, I wonder if the need isn't as acute. Heinola can add some offensive spark to the D, and Samberg brings the defensive shutdown ability. Stanley might bring a bit of both, at least on a 3rd pairing.

It might be a bit of a risky strategy for a team that wants to be a true contender, but acquiring a bona fide top pairing D would be very expensive. One option might be to go into next season with internal solutions on D, expecting that to be at least good enough to put the Jets into a playoff position while they assess Heinola, Samberg and Stanley. Then they can consider acquiring a D at the TDL (ideally with some term) if they are close enough, but don't look like they have the D to be a champion calibre team.

I do think the Jets could use a bit more depth up front, particularly on RW. Wheeler is not likely to maintain his level, and if Appleton goes in the expansion draft, the Jets will be quite thin on RW. They could use a strong RW. Armia might be a really good fit, to play on the 3rd line with Lowry, and slide up to the top 6 at times. If the Jets can re-sign Copp and Stastny...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Stastny-Dubois-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Armia
Harkins-Gus-Vesalainen

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Heinola

I have a question. I have read a few posts that have suggested the Jets should try and sign Armia as a UFA. My question is why would he be interested in signing with the team that traded him? Also, assuming he would consider it, I guessing money would be a factor. How much money would be required to persuade Armia to sign in Winnipeg?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think the Jets would find a way to get good performance from Bear. He'd be an upgrade on Poolman, I think.
I have actually really liked Bear through the regular season, and despite his struggle in the playoffs, I would love to have him.

I do think that we already have too many D men in that career stage, however. We're going to struggle to get Stanley, Heinola and Samberg in, and then we have Kovacevic and Chisholm to look at as well. I'd much rather us go after a stopgap top 4 guy.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have actually really liked Bear through the regular season, and despite his struggle in the playoffs, I would love to have him.

I do think that we already have too many D men in that career stage, however. We're going to struggle to get Stanley, Heinola and Samberg in, and then we have Kovacevic and Chisholm to look at as well. I'd much rather us go after a stopgap top 4 guy.
Good points --- I think one of the biggest questions facing the Jets is whether one of their young D (Heinola? Samberg?) can be effective on RD. Basically, we have 4 potentially strong LHD (Morrissey, Heinola, Samberg, Stanley), and 2 solid and 1 okay RHD (Pionk, DeMelo, Poolman), with Chisholm and Kovacevic in the pipeline.

If Heinola or Samberg can be effective at RD, the Jets might be okay going into next season without a substantial addition on D. They can then decide within season (by the trade deadline) if they need a substantial addition...

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Heinola

Poolman
Chisholm

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I have a question. I have read a few posts that have suggested the Jets should try and sign Armia as a UFA. My question is why would he be interested in signing with the team that traded him? Also, assuming he would consider it, I guessing money would be a factor. How much money would be required to persuade Armia to sign in Winnipeg?
Money and wants to be back on a winning team. He understands getting traded is part of the business. That’s how it’s possible he comes back.
What’s fair in terms of pay is another story.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Kinda like us with Poolman....
I'm starting to wonder if the plan during the season was more about pairing Poolman with Morrissey, or Stanley with DeMelo. It seems to have given Stanley the opportunity to become a steady enough 3rd pair D at this point.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010
By the way, what do others think about the likelihood of Perfetti making the Jets' roster next season? How might that affect decisions about other forwards? What might a line-up look like with Perfetti on the roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad