Trade, FA & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Copper's replacement is going to cost something though.

PLD. Slamberg. Copper, a 2nd in 2022 and a 1st in 2021 and the Sabres retain 1.5m but I still don't think that is enough.

I feel like a scenario where Dubois is upgraded with Eichel puts us in a better position to run 1A and 1B lines where they're eating the vast majority of minutes. Dubois is great, but Eichel is at another level as an established player. The top 2 lines would eat ~20 minutes a game; hopefully no more ~23min 1st line, ~16min second/third lines.

As for a roster replacement for Copp - I've been a huge fan of David Gustafsson and have felt that he's been ready enough to step in for a while.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Anyone is available for the right price, and that offer is a great price. Wonder what the price would be for Dahlin?
Far too much I would imagine. He’s a 21 y/o defenseman only a few years removed from being #1OA.

I’ve never understood the “anyone is available for the right price” argument. Perhaps it’s true, but some players you won’t get without gutting your team, and gutting your team for one player isn’t realistic.

Reactions: jgimp

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I know he has good numbers - but why is Taylor Hall almost a point a game now? How did Skinner score his entire career and disappear on the Sabres... there's something deeper going on

Taylor Hall was sh% funk. He was getting chances but not scoring. Despite not scoring Hall was still putting up assists at a good rate.

Skinner's issue in Buffalo was mostly from him no longer playing with Eichel.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
We are all saddened by Morrissey playing bad for most of this year, so why would we want a defenseman that's played like that every year of his NHL career?

Tanking in '22 for 1OA?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
We are all saddened by Morrissey playing bad for most of this year, so why would we want a defenseman that's played like that every year of his NHL career?
You mean 40+ points in each season but last year and this one?
I’m not saying he’s exactly what we need, but if we can get a package deal for Risto and Eichel, then why the hell not... would be better D then what we’ve got now.
Plus it’s only for 1 season, as he’s UFA next July.
If he plays great and looks like a fit... extend him
If he plays ok but not a fit... trade him at the TDL
If he sucks... let him walk his ass to the KHL next summer

Last edited:

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
One Sam Reinhart please.
Yeah....I could get behind that... depending on the price.
Here’s my only problem with getting an RW... we know PoMo isn’t going to pull Wheeler out of the top 6, so that means Ehlers goes back to LW... but with how Ehlers has been playing since being shifted to the RW, do we really want to mess with that by moving him back... I’m honestly thinking a top 6 LW might be a better option.
Honestly, PoMo’s limited ability to properly utilize our players really ties our hands

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah....I could get behind that... depending on the price.
Here’s my only problem with getting an RW... we know PoMo isn’t going to pull Wheeler out of the top 6, so that means Ehlers goes back to LW... but with how Ehlers has been playing since being shifted to the RW, do we really want to mess with that by moving him back... I’m honestly thinking a top 6 LW might be a better option.
ehlers can play both absolutely fine. he was just as good last season at left. it's not a big deal. Reinhart is RW

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
ehlers can play both absolutely fine. he was just as good last season at left. it's not a big deal. Reinhart is RW
I know Ehlers can play both sides and I know Reinhart is RW... I’m saying, with how Ehlers is playing, do we really want to risk messing with it by shifting him back to LW.
Though I would really like to see an Ehlers - Scheifele - Reinhart line

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
So what's the fix for that? Forcing teams to keep the cap of their injured players and hope you don't have a season devastated by injuries?

My personal philosophy is that during the regular season things are ok as they are.
For playoffs, which is where I see LTIR and cap circumvention being a problem, I really think that teams should have to ice a team that would be cap compliant should that roster have played all season. In other words there is a specific game roster cap for playoffs based on the regular season salaries of players. I really doubt it would make much difference, but it would potentially keep a team like Tampa from having guys like Kucherov and Stamkos on LTIR who magically are ok to play in the playoffs. It would force a team like that from having the equivalent advantage of icing a team that is actually not cap-compliant.
I don't know. I think I'm just rambling today because the Jets suck.

:Edit: How the h*** was I reading something 3 months old on this thread. Oops.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
If there is one thing that's really evident for the Jets during this downturn it's the critical importance of having a healthy Ehlers in the lineup. He makes so much open up for all the other guys on the ice with him as well as opening up matchups for other lines. While not the "best" player on this team he is probably cementing himself as the most important skater on this roster.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I know Ehlers can play both sides and I know Reinhart is RW... I’m saying, with how Ehlers is playing, do we really want to risk messing with it by shifting him back to LW.
Though I would really like to see an Ehlers - Scheifele - Reinhart line
I don't think it's as big of a deal as you're making. He plays both sides absolutely fine. He was LW last eyar and was our top 5v5 player again. It's not a big deal.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think Reinhart be expensive to get via trade and his next deal is going to get expensive cap wise. Have to think he’s going to cost 6+ million per year, plus multi teams would want him so his cost via trade is going to cost us.

Sabres I think need everything so that’s a plus, gives us flexibility in what we offer. They also likely happy with futures or prospects. I like the idea of adding him if we can work via trade and cap.

Reactions: BatVader

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There certainly are some players in the league who are untouchable, there’s no way around that.

In practical terms, yes. There are a very few. Not that their teams wouldn't trade them for the right price, but that no one would either have, or be willing to pay that price.

McDavid is obviously the first one to come to mind. Eichel would be another one, but he is probably going to be traded this off-season. Matthews is another that you just can't imagine the Leafs trading. But what about in another couple of years if he refuses to extend with them? Cale Makar is still only 22 and he scored over a ppg this year. It would be pretty tough to get him. There must be a few more, but not all that many.

I often say that anyone can be traded for a price and I believe that. But not without exception. :laugh: In practical terms, almost anyone can be traded. That is, if a team needs to fill a position, as the Jets do, they can do it by trade if they are willing to pay. They are not limited to the short list of players who are being shopped. They are limited by the price.

The difficulty is greater for established players. That's why I have been looking at Moritz Seider. An already well developed prospect, but not yet established in the NHL. I expect that DRW have big plans for him, so it would require something of an overpay to spring him loose.

We have the assets to offer that - we just have to be willing to part with them. We have Perfetti, a prospect on a similar level playing at a similarly important and hard to fill position. Detroit has a need at every position so position shouldn't make much difference. DRW aren't looking to make the deal so they need to be given more than an even up deal to get them to move. They were planning on adding a big, physical Dman, so I also give them Stanley. To give it the final push to get it done, I give them our 1st. IMO it is now a clear overpay, an offer they can't refuse. Worth it to us because we can afford it and because it fills our big hole at RD.

People here have already fallen in love with Perfetti, and for good reason. But you have to give to get and we need that 1RD a lot more than we need another top 6 F and a lefty at that.

Edit: To circle back to the original point, Seider is one who people say is not available. I think he becomes available for that offer.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Sabres are prone To making V dumb trades and V bad signings. I know different mgmt group but still the same owner. Take advantage of those suckers

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
You mean 40+ points in each season but last year and this one?
I’m not saying he’s exactly what we need, but if we can get a package deal for Risto and Eichel, then why the hell not... would be better D then what we’ve got now.
Plus it’s only for 1 season, as he’s UFA next July.
If he plays great and looks like a fit... extend him
If he plays ok but not a fit... trade him at the TDL
If he sucks... let him walk his ass to the KHL next summer

Wow he has lots of points. Who would guess of the guy that has played lots of TOI and PP has lots of points. Woooow

download.png

Jets miss the POs if those two are in the top 4 together.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
In practical terms, yes. There are a very few. Not that their teams wouldn't trade them for the right price, but that no one would either have, or be willing to pay that price.

McDavid is obviously the first one to come to mind. Eichel would be another one, but he is probably going to be traded this off-season. Matthews is another that you just can't imagine the Leafs trading. But what about in another couple of years if he refuses to extend with them? Cale Makar is still only 22 and he scored over a ppg this year. It would be pretty tough to get him. There must be a few more, but not all that many.

I often say that anyone can be traded for a price and I believe that. But not without exception. :laugh: In practical terms, almost anyone can be traded. That is, if a team needs to fill a position, as the Jets do, they can do it by trade if they are willing to pay. They are not limited to the short list of players who are being shopped. They are limited by the price.

The difficulty is greater for established players. That's why I have been looking at Moritz Seider. An already well developed prospect, but not yet established in the NHL. I expect that DRW have big plans for him, so it would require something of an overpay to spring him loose.

We have the assets to offer that - we just have to be willing to part with them. We have Perfetti, a prospect on a similar level playing at a similarly important and hard to fill position. Detroit has a need at every position so position shouldn't make much difference. DRW aren't looking to make the deal so they need to be given more than an even up deal to get them to move. They were planning on adding a big, physical Dman, so I also give them Stanley. To give it the final push to get it done, I give them our 1st. IMO it is now a clear overpay, an offer they can't refuse. Worth it to us because we can afford it and because it fills our big hole at RD.

People here have already fallen in love with Perfetti, and for good reason. But you have to give to get and we need that 1RD a lot more than we need another top 6 F and a lefty at that.

Edit: To circle back to the original point, Seider is one who people say is not available. I think he becomes available for that offer.
First off... Detroit is abbreviated DET, not DRW... it’s a small thing but an important one... there are already preset agreed upon abbreviations, so no need for everyone to make up their own.
Secondly... Seider went 6OA in 2019 and Perfetti went 10OA last year...I don’t think the difference between them is Stanley + a 1st.
Last... I honestly see zero reason for DET to trade Seider.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
First off... Detroit is abbreviated DET, not DRW... it’s a small thing but an important one... there are already preset agree upon abbreviations, so no need for everyone to make up their own.
Secondly... Seider went 6OA in 2019 and Perfetti went 10OA last year...I don’t think the difference between them is Stanley + a 1st.
Last... I honestly see zero reason for DET to trade Seider.
they don't trade seider.

Reactions: BatVader
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad