Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Week (Actual TDL is Feb 24)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm good with these deals.
You have access thirds and fourths and you addressed areas of weakness for this team.

Gustafsson should be on PP1, and when Gio gets healthy it'll even get him extra minutes of rest not having to play PP1/PK1 and every hard minute of every game.

Forbert I'm okay with in terms of depth. Gives them a bit of a different look on the bottom pair if need be. Yelesin needs more polish and shouldn't be on the roster most nights, Stone shouldn't be anywhere near regular minutes.

I'd run:

Hanifin - Andersson
Gustafsson - Brodie
Kylington - Forbort/Stone

When Gio gets healthy:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Gustafsson

When Hammer gets healthy:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington/Gustafsson - Hammer/Gustafsson
Forbort (when the heavy teams come to town).

Depending on who has the hot hand or is playing at their top ability.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I would much rather have went for a right shot guy like Manson rather than force Gustafsson on the right side. This was a poor deadline by Treliving.

Squandered a 3rd and cond 4th when he should've just stood pat tbh

The lack of smoke on Brodie looks promising for an extension. Or, so the dreamer in me hopes

We used the additional picks we owned for both deals, which I'm good with. That's just playing with house money.
Adding Manson would have cost a first +, there's not even a doubt about that. The cost was prohibited. I can just imagine the meltdown on this board if we moved our first.

Depth picks for some top 6D, with Tre likely taking a run at someone like Gustafsson while he's here to keep him here.

I'm fine with the moves. It gives the guys the note that we're trying to get into the playoffs; while also doesn't cost the whole future.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Okay, revised defense projections:

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Forbort-Gustaffson
Kylington-Stone

So Forbort was basically acquired to be the stay at home babysitter for Gustaffson. Depending on how the new guys do, it might honestly not be all that terrible. But Kylington still gets screwed over for the second year in a row, unless they want to try a Kylington-Gustaffson third pairing which would be good fun.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Barclay Goodrow for a 1st flew under the radar but at first glance, that's an awful trade for Tampa.

They're now without of either of their 1sts. Idk if BriseBois is desperate or doesn't command as much respect in negotiations as Stevie Y did but he's going to come under a lot of fire for those moves if they falter again

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Forbort-Gustaffson
Kylington-Stone

So Forbort was basically acquired to be the stay at home babysitter for Gustaffson. Depending on how the new guys do, it might honestly not be all that terrible. But Kylington still gets screwed over for the second year in a row, unless they want to try a Kylington-Gustaffson third pairing which would be good fun.
Can we do this in OT with Gaudreau? This would truly be a sight to behold.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I like both additions. Forbort has shown capable of playing 20+ minutes in three straight seasons and provides physicality and shot blocking. I actually don't think he is that far off of Brendan Dillon who went for considerably more (2nd + 3rd). His injury hurt his value. He is significantly better than Stone.

Gus will boost the PP and help the transition game in which has struggled immensely this year. He is currently an upgrade on Kylington.

A 3rd and 4th for these roster upgrades are minimal prices to pay.

I would have liked to add another top nine forward, but the prices being paid were fairly high, and we don't have an enormous amount of depth in the prospect pool.

Reactions: Janks

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Brodie is obviously going to be re-signed (or that's the desire from BT). Hamonic is injured so it's not like we could have traded him as a rental... that's out of BT's hands and will probably have to let him walk, might get a 6th for his rights :dunno:

I really like Gustafsson so I'm happy he's here. Forbort is probably just expected to be better than Stone. Gus will replace Hamonic, Forbort will be an upgrade on Stone. I'm not too upset over it. If the forwards can figure their crap out, this defense, when healthy, can get through some playoff rounds.

Reactions: Boomstick

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Tsn says the Hawks get the earlier of the two 3rd rounders.

Am I missing a deal somewhere? How did we get two 3rds?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Message sent today from Tre. While he did make room to make more significant moves Tre has likely had a change of heart and other than finding a few band-aids for the D he has pulled the reigns back on the big moves for 2 reasons.

1. The team has not shown the consistency winning to risk prospects or draft picks for players of value.
  2. The asks for the players moved was massive. Pageau gets a first and a second for a UFA third line center. Congrats to Dorion
Tre is telling the existing core it is up to the players and if we don't make the playoffs and win a round or two I want all the resources I need to move the problem pieces out.

The losses in Feb likely cost the players a move for a top 6 RW

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm pretty happy with this. We need Yelesin and Stone out of the lineup in order to give ourselves a chance against good teams, and hopefully this lets us achieve that immediately without substantial cost. Gustafson should help us generate more offence from the back end.

Hanifin-Andersson
Gus-Brodie
Forbort-Kylington

Better than yesterday's lineup.

Just need to re-sign or replace Brodie in the summer.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Message sent today from Tre. While he did make room to make more significant moves Tre has likely had a change of heart and other than finding a few band-aids for the D he has pulled the reigns back on the big moves for 2 reasons.

1. The team has not shown the consistency winning to risk prospects or draft picks for players of value.
  2. The asks for the players moved was massive. Pageau gets a first and a second for a UFA third line center. Congrats to Dorion
Tre is telling the existing core it is up to the players and if we don't make the playoffs and win a round or two I want all the resources I need to move the problem pieces out.

Yeah basically said I am not giving up but I don't believe in you boys neither....we'll deal with the consequences in the summer

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Namestnikov for a 4th could be a real steal for the Avs. Kinda wish we beat that offer but we've never really been big on Russian players

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

That and Mangiapane playing like a top 6 RW.

The forward group CAN beat most teams, but apparently only when they play in specific lines. BT likely not wanting to risk disrupting them now that they're scoring more (38 goals in past 8 games). Our defense is in shambles right now so makes sense to add back there.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Forbort-Gustaffson
Kylington-Stone

If you sheltered the hell out of those two, then split them up during different game scenarios, I have no issues.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Forbort is a pointless trade. Not much to be discussed there.

Acquiring Gustafsson is an indictment on Kylington. This guy is solely a PPQB who, according to many Hawks fans, is disastrous defensively. As much as our fans like to play up Kylington's issues, there's at least room for him to grow there given that he's 6 years younger. But Treliving just doesn't like the guy for whatever reason.

Whatever.

I'm not too attached to this season because this team looks like a mess. This summer's going to be the real show for us

I feel the same, hopefully they fire the GM.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I would much rather have went for a right shot guy like Manson rather than force Gustafsson on the right side. This was a poor deadline by Treliving.

Squandered a 3rd and cond 4th when he should've just stood pat tbh

The lack of smoke on Brodie looks promising for an extension. Or, so the dreamer in me hopes

When I saw Manson was available he was really the only d-man I wanted. Anaheim probably wanted too much from us since we're in the division.

Losing Hamonic and Brodie to free agency is going to be just a joy when it comes to asset management. A 1st and 2 2nd's for 3 years of Hamonic of which he was awful for most of it. Incredible.

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad