Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Week (Actual TDL is Feb 24)

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Typical Treliving deadline.

Mediocre team, check

Cant afford to offload pending UFA Brodie because he desperately needs to make the playoff, and without Brodie he's essentially throwing in towel which due to bad optics he cant do, will lose him for nothing, check

Cant afford to sell Backlund in inflated market because, see above, check

Cant afford to add a diference maker because he wasted cap space on Lucic/Neal Stone and Brouwer, check check

Has no draft picks to trade because he bled them for garbage, check

So he goes and adds depth defenders and prays for a miracle, check check check

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm disappointed that Treliving didn't make a deal to improve our top six forwards but to be honest I'm not at all surprised that he didn't. He did exactly what I expected... pick up one or two (in this case 2) depth d-men and call it a day.
Fingers crossed that the Flames actually make it into the playoffs. If they do I'll be shocked if they make it out of the 1st round as we just don't seem to have that top 6 sniper who's dangerous every time the puck is on his stick in the o-zone. I was hoping we would find one today. Instead, we got castoff defensemen.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
So, I had a thought. These trades totally clear the way for Kylington to pursue his true destiny of being the Flames #1RW.
images

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Guys... we've scored 4.75 goals per game since Ward stopped juggling the lines and put Johnny, Mony and Lindy back together and created another 3M line. It's obvious why we focused on the defense.

Reactions: Tofveve

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Guys... we've scored 4.75 goals per game since Ward stopped juggling the lines and put Johnny, Mony and Lindy back together and created another 3M line. It's obvious why we focused on the defense.
Look, this is really no place for logic and critical thinking. Angry reacts only.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That's a very short sample size using the latest games where that stat is skewed because the Flames scored 6 goals twice against a terrible Ducks team and other terrible teams like the Sharks and the Kings.
For most of the season where the top 6 you mentioned, played together, the offense was terrible.

I'd be careful thinking the recent offense explosion is going to continue. The Flames don't normally score 4.75 goals against good teams. They usually lose by scoring 3 or less.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
That's a very short sample size using the latest games where that stat is skewed because the Flames scored 6 goals twice against a terrible Ducks team and other terrible teams like the Sharks and the Kings.
For most of the season where the top 6 you mentioned, played together, the offense was terrible.

I'd be careful thinking the recent offense explosion is going to continue. The Flames don't normally score 4.75 goals against good teams. They usually lose by scoring 3 or less.
I'm not going to spend much effort trying to go back and see what our offense looks like when the lines are what we normally get (J+M+L/3M/Looch+Doc+Dube/4th Line), but I'd hazard a guess that we score more with those lines than when we throw them through the blender. Bennett is playing very well and Janks looks more confident. I don't know what our scoring looks like for the last 20, but I'd bet they average 3+ goals/game, not less than 3.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If keeping everyone together for the stretch run doesn’t galvanize this group to make the playoffs and give someone a huge scare in the 1st round and maybe an upset on top of it well then yeah make some big trades in summer.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
There was nothing we could really do this deadline. There wasn't many big targets and the costs were way to high.. BT, made the right move to stand pat and see what this group can do, and if they falter we will see big changes in the off season. I like the addition of Gustafsson and the offense is kind of turning a corner, so hopefully the D additions help solidify our D. The reality is that team is going to go as far as our big guys take us and no trade was going to change that.. but the top 2 lines have looked better lately, so lets see how it plays out.

The bad new is the Knights, Oilers and Nucks got better.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If keeping everyone together for the stretch run doesn’t galvanize this group to make the playoffs and give someone a huge scare in the 1st round and maybe an upset on top of it well then yeah make some big trades in summer.

Exactly...one last shot

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Exactly..the defense was leaking....but Brad just bought some Buble gum though...at least it's something lol

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
What is the point of getting rid of Davidson for nothing and then spending a 4th round pick to get another Davidson in Forbert?

Does this make sense to anyone as I don't know what Treliving is thinking.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What is the point of getting rid of Davidson for nothing and then spending a 4th round pick to get another Davidson in Forbert?

maxresdefault.jpg

I would guess they're just hoping he's an upgrade on Stone. Which he'd pretty much have to be.

Because Stone is terrible.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Really difficult to get to the bottom of this, but I've spent many hours thinking about it and what I can conclude is this: Flames management believes Forbort is significantly better than Davidson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad