GDT: Trade Deadline V2 - The Final Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They could still do Cowen for Bickell in the off season. Still makes a lot of sense.

Just to clarify that this deal could still happen any time from now until the draft even next week etc..

The rule is that the players simply can't play for their new teams if it happens after the TD has passed.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs did well up to today. With that said, they do deserve criticism when it's due and I think not being able to find value for someone like PAP deserves to be criticised, even if the day was quiet for a lot of teams.

I won't lose sleep over it though.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This doesn't prevent us from making trades. Just not players eligible for the playoffs.
We could still move Bernier to Calgary. We could still look at acquiring a D.
Etc.
Lou made the moves he had to before hand.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Reimer
Matthias
Spaling
Polak
Winnik
Phaneuf
Jeremy Morin
Cody Donaghey
Ryan Rupert
Casey Bailey
Matt Frattin
5th 2016

for
2nd 2016
2nd 2017
2nd 2017
2nd 2018
4th 2016
4th 2018
Tobias Lindberg
Colin Smith
Connor Carrick
Ben Smith
Brooks Laich
Jared Cowan
Milan Michalek
Colin Greening
Alex Stalock

Yah, Stand Pat Lou. :)

It's important that he hold his ground and not toss assets away in a panic. This will pay off down the road over and over when teams want someone from us.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Just to clarify that this deal could still happen any time from now until the draft even next week etc..

The rule is that the players simply can't play for their new teams if it happens after the TD has passed.

That's a good point too. Not as if Cowen would be playing for the Hawks anyway.

Regardless, even if it's still possible, I'd expect it's extremely unlikely. It's very rare for trades to take place after the deadline.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm not going to lie and say I'm not disappointed that Parenteau was not moved today.

However, the weeks beforehand leading up to the TDL were bountiful for us. Lou still did a good job this trade deadline season. Now it's time to play out the season and see what we've got with the kids, then onto the lottery and draft.

Shwaguy*

Where can I watch Lou's presser live? TSN or SN? I have the cable subscriptions so I don't necessarily need a stream

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Lou has done a tremendous job overall without question. I'm surprised he didn't pull the trigger on a deal for PAP though, regardless of the offer. He is a pending UFA after all. Perhaps GMs were hesitant after he left the game on Saturday night?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end dumb move to play Parenteau which very likely tanked interest in him. Who wants to trade for a guy who looks like he's barely surviving leading up to the deadline?

Will agree a lot of wasted signings during the offseason. No real point in getting a lot of these guys. Stay for a year and walk in the summer. Just valueless placeholders.

Still made a lot of good moves leading to the deadline though. Won't say they had a bad year, but shows they didn't need to load up on trade bait. There wasn't that many trades to make.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Reimer
Matthias
Spaling
Polak
Winnik
Phaneuf
Jeremy Morin
Cody Donaghey
Ryan Rupert
Casey Bailey
Matt Frattin
5th 2016

for
2nd 2016
2nd 2017
2nd 2017
2nd 2018
4th 2016
4th 2018
Tobias Lindberg
Colin Smith
Connor Carrick
Ben Smith
Brooks Laich
Jared Cowan
Milan Michalek
Colin Greening
Alex Stalock

We expected so much more from Lou.

(((This is sarcasm)))

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I've heard people mention that Paranteau has a niggling injury. Is it possible that that kept teams away, or he failed medicals because of it?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not moving Parenteau is easily cancelled out by moving Winnik for a good return.

Brooks Laich is currently the Leafs highest paid active forward.

A big part of this deal is about eating his contract this year and next.

Winnik was just the cap offsetting contract in the bigger picture.

It was a great deal for the Leafs because they have the money and the cap space to get the pick and the prospect.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
This reminds me of the Deadline Day in England for Soccer. Sky Sports News have reporters at every Premier League team's ground, agents in the studio explaining the processes, and all kinds of media giving their input... etc Fans turn up at each ground to wait for new signings and to get on tv. Then not a lot happens, because the smart people do the business early and avoid paying the last-minute premium. The mindless few lose their senses and wish they sold their grandmothers for a pack of half eaten chocolate biscuits because they just wanted to hear some action take place.

It's all a build up to draw the consumers in. As time goes by, less happens because most sensible business is already done. It's just the fans left watching the media try and stir up interest to get more hits on their twitter accounts so they can feed off the attention.

Everyone needs to chill. We've made some fantastic trades, the hockey club is in a much better position to achieve their long-term goals than it was a few weeks ago. Let's enjoy the small sample we'll get of the future players in the coming games.

Lou and the boys did brilliantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad