GDT: Trade Deadline V2 - The Final Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I don't see TSN allowing someone to make fun of Bettman on live TV . . . that would be just too much for the NHL to take.

But god bless O'Neill if he ever tries to do that unscripted, because it would be comedy gold. :laugh:

ANA gave a conditional 3rd for McGinn could become 2nd, players going for returns we wanted for PAP but PAP himself didn't go, oh well, guess Lou held stubborn on that 2nd he wanted

McGinn and Stempniak were better rentals. Also McGinn was expected to go for a 2nd as well so Buffalo seemed to settle.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Today is a bit disappointing but overall a good job by Lou :handclap:

And yes I would have taken gamble on PAP for value and I don't blame Lou for that

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
This reminds me of the Deadline Day in England for Soccer. Sky Sports News have reporters at every Premier League team's ground, agents in the studio explaining the processes, and all kinds of media giving their input... etc Fans turn up at each ground to wait for new signings and to get on tv. Then not a lot happens, because the smart people do the business early and avoid paying the last-minute premium. The mindless few lose their senses and wish they sold their grandmothers for a pack of half eaten chocolate biscuits because they just wanted to hear some action take place.

It's all a build up to draw the consumers in. As time goes by, less happens because most sensible business is already done. It's just the fans left watching the media try and stir up interest to get more hits on their twitter accounts so they can feed off the attention.

Everyone needs to chill. We've made some fantastic trades, the hockey club is in a much better position to achieve their long-term goals than it was a few weeks ago. Let's enjoy the small sample we'll get of the future players in the coming games.

Lou and the boys did brilliantly.

Yeah. That's actually funnier than the NHL Deadline. Especially the Canu... er I mean Arsenal fans.:laugh:

(No offence if you're a gooner.;))

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
Sounds like Anaheim may have been looking at PA. But they went with McGinn and I would have done the same.

This is just my thinking fromwhat Cox and Johnson said about Tor not committing to being done. Sounds like teams chose other players with similar point totals over PA.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
ANA gave a conditional 3rd for McGinn could become 2nd, players going for returns we wanted for PAP but PAP himself didn't go, oh well, guess Lou held stubborn on that 2nd he wanted

PAP could be more injured than we thought. He also isn't a gritty player by any means and shouldn't be on the top 6 of any playoff contender. So would you want to give up a 2nd or a 3rd?

randia*

Andy Graziano, SNY.TV Twitter

The Islanders worked the phones Monday but could not find a match other than the 23-year-old Prince. Snow was speaking with Lou Lamoriello in Toronto all day off and on regarding P.A Parenteau, but the Leafs general manager would not budge off his demand of a 2017 second round draft pick -- something Snow felt was a tad too expensive.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
PAP could be more injured than we thought. He also isn't a gritty player by any means and shouldn't be on the top 6 of any playoff contender. So would you want to give up a 2nd or a 3rd?

Yes, considering what other trades went down.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
so basically - when we're pouting because we didn't get anything for PAP - let's just take a moment and think:

Well we could have Jim Benning. :nod:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
In the end, we moved a LOT of players. We basically have half the Marlies playing with the NHL team.
I think this was a huge mitigating factor in the decision to not take a very lowball offer for PAP.

Parenteau's value is still there for the Leafs . . . he's an experienced pro, he'll help these kids, and best of all, provides good competition for the kids. Babcock now has total freedom to move PA down or out of the lineup depending on how the kids play.

So there is value in PA staying. And Boyes, for that matter.
To me, Grabner stays for a different reason - he's actually useful, provides stability too, and he may yet get another deal with us in the future - he's a perfect fit for a rebuilding team.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If PAP re-signs and is moved at next year's deadline, I'm ok with that.

He's still a 15-20 goal scorer that won't cost much, he's great in the shootout, and he's good in the locker room.

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
man lou youre really gonna be that much of a hardass that youd rather get nothing than accept a 3rd

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Andy Graziano, SNY.TV Twitter

The Islanders worked the phones Monday but could not find a match other than the 23-year-old Prince. Snow was speaking with Lou Lamoriello in Toronto all day off and on regarding P.A Parenteau, but the Leafs general manager would not budge off his demand of a 2017 second round draft pick -- something Snow felt was a tad too expensive.

If this is true then Snow is a smart man.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
My guess is that if Winnik wasnt traded last night, PAP wouldnt be a leaf. We do not have enough NHL boddies to trade PAP. Yes its about building for the future, but throwing our rookies out to the wolves is not best for their development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad