GDT: Trade Deadline Thread - Trades, Rumors, Speculation, etc.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Man... the 17/18 Sabres are really low on Botteril's priority list.

On the one hand, I kinda like it. Having a competent farm team will pay massive dividends as kids from the last few drafts start funneling into Rochester.

On the other hand, feels like we're wasting precious years of guys like ROR and even Eichel/Reinhart to an extent.

As weird and painful as this probably is to have a quiet deadline and to watch Kane traded for seemingly meaningless conditional draft picks and PPG AHL players with no real NHL experience... we're in a weird spot where we have high end pieces but still need to rebuild the rebuild for quality depth. That starts with Rochester.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Should it have to take that long? I'm not asking for a cup winner here.
Culture change in an organization could take 8-10 years. Hockey team will obviously be faster since it's just the hockey staff+players and not 10 000 employees but I would expect 3-4 years.
When it comes to getting better talent on the team the cupboard was pretty much empty after Murrays spending spree and we don't have that much cap space considering we are the worst team in the league. We'll have to wait for prospects to develop.

My expected timeline is:
Bottom five next year.
Bubble team 19/20
Bubble team 20/21
Good team 21/22

That's a pretty quick turnaround considering we are the worst team in the league along with Arizona right now.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
weird...

I was hoping it became a 3rd, if the first conditional was a 2nd...

Yes, it would be nice if we had any input at all into the bottom-level return of the deal. The deal is very likely a 2nd + 4th + whatever O'Regan becomes. Very clever marketing job to sell the trade as "including a 1st"

*Puts on tin foil hat:
Must be Brandon at work during negotiations...

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

On the one hand, I kinda like it. Having a competent farm team will pay massive dividends as kids from the last few drafts start funneling into Rochester.

On the other hand, feels like we're wasting precious years of guys like ROR and even Eichel/Reinhart to an extent.

As weird and painful as this probably is to have a quiet deadline and to watch Kane traded for seemingly meaningless conditional draft picks and PPG AHL players with no real NHL experience... we're in a weird spot where we have high end pieces but still need to rebuild the rebuild for quality depth. That starts with Rochester.

The issue is, we could do more to build up the depth by taking fliers on cheap RFAs or working the waiver wire. Instead, we trot out cannon fodder like Nolan on the 4th line and don't do our best to upgrade at our worst positions.

Looking forward to watching Vegas in the playoffs.

Reactions: ek93

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The quote from Botterill about having work to do and the group right now is not working is the highlight of the day.

This team is getting a major makeover. Only Eichel is safe, I think. Prepare yourselves.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Your premise would be supported if there was conscious activity to improve Rochester during the season or at the deadline. We've seen zero to minimal incremental moves to do that above the norm of most AHL franchises.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

Getting clowned with all these conditions. Ridiculous. Here's an image of those last 5 GMs bidding on Kane:

104121665-GettyImages-612459410.1910x1000.jpg

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The quote from Botterill about having work to do and the group right now is not working is the highlight of the day.

This team is getting a major makeover. Only Eichel is safe, I think. Prepare yourselves.

We also learned today that no one wants our shit. Larsson, Girgensons, Bogosian, Pominville, Moulson, Okposo, Gorges, Beaulieu.

Botts basically said he tried to trade people, but no one went all the way with an offer. We're f***ed right now, unless we somehow win the lottery. We've become the Islanders/Oilers style laughingstock, praying exclusively for luck.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
We also learned today that no one wants our ****. Larsson, Girgensons, Bogosian, Pominville, Moulson, Okposo, Gorges, Beaulieu.

Botts basically said he tried to trade people, but no one went all the way with an offer. We're ****ed right now, unless we somehow win the lottery. We've become the Islanders/Oilers style laughingstock, praying exclusively for luck.
Delete

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
OK, with 19 games remaining, no Kane, no Eichel for time being, and no more Bruins to beat up on, can we place betting lines on the following:
1) -55 season-to-date Sabres goal differential bloating to -85 or higher (more negative) by year end.
2) 9 home wins to date, 10 road wins. More road than home wins at end of year.
3) more than 15.5 home wins by end of year.
4) higher than 59.5 in combined total ranking of league GF and GA (currently at 60).
5) finish season with only 1 shootout (the MTL season opener).
6) no regulation wins vs. the Leaves.
7) no more points from games in Florida rest of season.
8) 14.5 number of games Antipin dresses for the rest of the way.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I would have loved to see Vegas get Karlsson. Would have been epic.

The Tatar move was WTF...

TB are scary now with McD. Miller is a great add for them also. Stevie Y getting it done again.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Can’t really fault Botterill, there never was a strong market for Evander Kane. No one ever once but a first round pick or top prospect on the table.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I really didn't expect anything more out of today. You can't have a yard sale when no one would pick it up from your curb if it were free. So many bad pieces on this team at the moment. I don't know what Botts does with some of these guys other then wait till their contracts run out.

The organization really seems to be in no man's land. Outside of moving guys like ROR or Risto or Sam you can't move anything to get pieces back that will be meaningful. Outside Guhle and Ullmark not much is coming up next year that will be impactful. I don't want Mittlestadt anywhere near this team next season. Let's see what happens in college free agency and the summer but we might be looking at the Jack Hughes sweepstakes next season.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Remember when Colorado at this point last year was laughed at? Ya I do. All it’s takes next year is the guys that are suppose to be the guys here being consistant... that happens with some actual decent goaltending makes the timely saves, this team will improve big time. Can I get this Reinhart for an entire season please?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Remember when Colorado at this point last year was laughed at? Ya I do. All it’s takes next year is the guys that are suppose to be the guys here being consistant... that happens with some actual decent goaltending makes the timely saves, this team will improve big time. Can I get this Reinhart for an entire season please?
Colorado didn't have as much dead weight pieces as we do, we still have half a team that shouldn't even be NHL players and are paying players huge money to play in the AHL for a different organisation and or play dead with injuries.

Bottom line is we have WAY to many holes to fill and not enough talent coming up to make that much of a difference.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
There are 4 top-six forwards on this team (15, 21, 23, 90), and 1-2 bottom-six forwards, and 3 defensemen (6, 55, 8) who would play in the top-12 and top-7 on playoff-qualifying teams. everyone else is either gone, a tweener or an AHL'er.

Consistency alone won't cut it.

Goaltending is as moot as goatlending until those other roster gaps are addressed.

(edit: basically what Sabrethewin said)

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The VGK, who are the best team in the West despite being built with other team's trash, are THE proof that all it takes is competent management to build a good team. There is no reason if Botts is a competent GM that he can't make this a credible NHL team without taking half a decade (look no further than what Shero did with what looked like a hopeless tire fire in Newark).

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
We just need San Jose to win the Cup or for Kane to be a model citizen AND put up great numbers AND Kane to like it in San Jose. If either/all of that happens, then hello 25th overall pick in the 2019 draft!

Reactions: ek93

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Didn’t take long.

I made one claim about Kane, and I knew you were waiting to pounce.

Typically, it swings around to everyone on this board. Today was my day. You’ll have that day too. ;)

You’ve been been making all kinds of outlandish trade proposals for Kane for years now, and consistently said I was wrong when I pointed out how unrealistic they were.

So many posts on this topic over the years, with zero basis for the assumptions. Hopefully the homerism regarding the value of Sabre players will die down a bit now.

Reactions: DatGuy

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
How close is what Tampa paid in the McDonagh/JT Miller trade to what Tim Murray paid for Kane/Bogo?

Because.... if you really want to wallow in it... looking at it that way will get it done ;)

Reactions: sabrebuild

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The VGK, who are the best team in the West despite being built with other team's trash, are THE proof that all it takes is competent management to build a good team. There is no reason if Botts is a competent GM that he can't make this a credible NHL team without taking half a decade (look no further than what Shero did with what looked like a hopeless tire fire in Newark).

You can't look at VGK as proof of anything. That's silly. It's a unique scenario that cannot be replicated.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We save 1,8 mill in real money buying out Pominville. 2,267+1,666 cap hit instead of 5,6+0.
We save 1,7 mill in real money buying out Beaulieu. 0,3+0,4 cap hit instead of 2,4+0
We save 0,7 mill in real money buying out Moulson. 3,6+0,6 cap hit instead of 5,0+0
We save 4,0 mill in real money buying out Bogosian. 1,1+1,1+2+2 cap hit instead of 5,1+5,1+0+0

Total savings in actual money: 8,2 mill
Cap hit: 7,267+3,76+2+2
Cap hit without buyouts: 18,1+5,1+0+0

It means 10,8 million more in available cap next season. That's more than Jacks cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad