GDT: Trade Deadline Thread - Trades, Rumors, Speculation, etc.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The deadline is one month from today, so I figured it may be time to start an all-encompassing thread wherein rumors can be posted, speculation can run rampant about scouts watching hockey games, and completed trades can be discussed. We can also talk Sabres-specific moves here, as well:

-To where will Kane be traded? What's the return?

-Will the Sabres trade any player who is not an impending UFA? If so, who?

Mods, if you think a "Speculation" tag is more appropriate until the day of the deadline, feel free to change - though trades will be completed before that time.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
My goal in any Kane trade is a 1st and a prospect.

If Lehner stays hot you can get a 1st for him IMO. That's the trade I'm hoping to see. I would love to have 3 1st round picks this year.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The dream with Kane is a low first, B+ prospect, and a roster player (even if a cap dump) to keep Rochester intact this year. I think that's realistic.

Other players who could go:

Lehner (goalie back or Wilcox backs up Johnson)
Pouliot
Gorges (I mean, he's a UFA and a vet D)

Who knows who else? I could see a guy from Roch getting thrown in a deal but not an overpayment hopefully.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think one of Bailey, Baptiste, or Fasching will be a secondary piece in a deal. I don't see all three in the organization next year, as each will be eligible for waivers. I think ROC will backfill their lineup spot through the addition of a vet or prospect forward acquired via trade.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
What I want:
- Kane with retention for a 1st (plus would be a bonus)
- Lehner for a pick and goalie contract dump
- Pouliot for like a 3rd
- Larsson for mid round pick
- Gorges for a mid round pick
- ROR for D and some winger prospect or Reinhart for D (1 of the two)

What I expect to actually happen:
- Kane with retention for a 1st and some under 25 contract that doesnt have great upside
- Pouliot for like a 3rd

I expect something around Lehner and maybe ROR to happen at draft/offseason.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I have a feeling Lehner plays out the season and then he walks or we sign him for another year as we cant just gift Ullmark the spot. I know for a fact Ullmark will wrestle #1 away from Lehner. I hope we do trade Lehner tho and bring back a young nhl ready goalie so next year we can go 1/2 competition between young goalie like Subban vs Ullmark.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Kane for a package including a first in 2018.

Falk,Gorges,Pouliot to cache late picks where possible.

Lie,cheat,do whatever to remove Bogosian.

That’s pretty much it for me as far as needs.

I could see Larsson going, and I’m fine with it.

I could buy into the OReilly trade if it’s the right target and a bigger deal in scope that brings back a Lesser, but experienced center, while also costing us more.

I can’t buy into trading Reinhart. I don’t think Okposo is currently possible to move. I don’t think moving Lehner will give us good value, but if we found it, cya.

Let’s see where our lotto pick lands, and go from there.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have a feeling Lehner plays out the season and then he walks or we sign him for another year as we cant just gift Ullmark the spot. I know for a fact Ullmark will wrestle #1 away from Lehner. I hope we do trade Lehner tho and bring back a young nhl ready goalie so next year we can go 1/2 competition between young goalie like Subban vs Ullmark.

Going with two goalies that have never been a #1 in the NHL would be a huge roll of the dice that is more likely to not work out.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Is it a must that Kane brings back a first rounder or is there a scenario where we snag an NHL-ready D-prospect away from a team that has one to spare? Not saying Kane for a D-prospect straight up, but instead of something like 1st and B-prospect, could it be NHL-ready D-prospect plus 2nd/3rd?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Is it a must that Kane brings back a first rounder or is there a scenario where we snag an NHL-ready D-prospect away from a team that has one to spare? Not saying Kane for a D-prospect straight up, but instead of something like 1st and B-prospect, could it be NHL-ready D-prospect plus 2nd/3rd?
I doubt there's a playoff contender who wants to leverage-up with Kane who has a young NHL-ready defenseman, and (a) is willing to part with that defensive depth entering a playoff run, and (b) values that D-prospect less than a mid-to-late 1st-rounder.

Maybe a playoff-bound team which doesn't have a first round pick? Is that a null set?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Hypothetically, if St. Louis was really hot after Kane and offered Kyrou and Dunn or Schmaltz then you jump for joy at that return and don't worry about a 1st.

Reactions: Wisent42

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I doubt there's a playoff contender who wants to leverage-up with Kane who has a young NHL-ready defenseman, and (a) is willing to part with that defensive depth entering a playoff run, and (b) values that D-prospect less than a mid-to-late 1st-rounder.

Maybe a playoff-bound team which doesn't have a first round pick? Is that a null set?

Maybe "NHL-ready" was a bit of a reach on my part. Change that to "defender closer to the NHL than what can be drafted outside of Dahlin". ;) Someone who can contribute sooner than three years from now. I don't have a particular player (or team) in mind, just thinking that there should be a team with a surplus of D-prospects out there. But yeah, a playoff-bound team that lacks a first round pick, sure.

Would such a set up work, or do people here consider a first rounder to be part of the deal to even get the conversation started?

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I think a team jumps on Larsson and we don't really miss him as he still hasn't figured out this system.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Pouliot returned anything.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

Calgary

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Maybe "NHL-ready" was a bit of a reach on my part. Change that to "defender closer to the NHL than what can be drafted outside of Dahlin". ;) Someone who can contribute sooner than three years from now. I don't have a particular player (or team) in mind, just thinking that there should be a team with a surplus of D-prospects out there. But yeah, a playoff-bound team that lacks a first round pick, sure.

Would such a set up work, or do people here consider a first rounder to be part of the deal to even get the conversation started?
I'd be fine with your propsoed scenario.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Like Lehner hasn't?

Ullmark's first two seasons in Rochester had him playing worse than Lehner has this season.

Expecting him to show up next season and be an upgrade as the #1 next season and thinking it will go swimmingly is highly unlikely if you look throughout the history of the league.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Ullmark's first two seasons in Rochester had him playing worse than Lehner has this season.

Expecting him to show up next season and be an upgrade as the #1 next season and thinking it will go swimmingly is highly unlikely if you look throughout the history of the league.
Rochesters last two seasons all around should sum up your answer, Rochester last year was an absolute gong show of mediocrity and *gasp* Ullmark was an all-star.

Find a new angle.

Half of Rochesters depth for D was in Buffalo making Rochester even f'n worse.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Guys, unless you're talking about Lehner being traded at the deadline, you don't need to talk about him. We definitely don't need to drag the exact same debate that's currently going on in another thread in here too.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY

Calgary, Andersson. Who knows if they're heavily in on Kane but they do love their truculence up there.

But to be honest, it doesn't need to be a prospect that is NHL ready today. I'd still rather trade for a guy that's a year or so out than just straight draft picks if the value is comparable.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
How unrealistic is a 1st and a Alex Nylander-esque defensive prospect for Kane (if one is out there)? Young, lots of upside but not exactly taking the AHL by storm?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How unrealistic is a 1st and a Alex Nylander-esque defensive prospect for Kane (if one is out there)? Young, lots of upside but not exactly taking the AHL by storm?

I doubt they get a a former 1st round D and a 1st rounder for Kane.

If they get a prospect, I doubt it would be a former 1st rounder, even one who's development hasn't been great to date.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->