Trade Deadline Thread: GOLDEN CHAOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Whatever you think of Lindholm (I am very optimistic about what their center depth entails for the playoffs, but that's just me), remind yourself they dumped term and cap in that deal. There's immediate upside to making that deal including some that might not get apparent.
Did a single player like Kuzmenko get moved at the deadline as part of a return for an upgrade?

I can think of Johnsson and look at how much Colorado had to pay for that pleasure

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Sure, in the regular season. Once the refs put their whistles away, he becomes more effective.

There was a stat posted recently that penalties actually increase in the playoffs, I'll have to try and track that one down, it was marginal, but still interesting. May have been the first round however.

• Wow
Reactions: Chiripa20

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Some thoughts on today:

- I'm okay with the Canucks standing pat. I didn't really see anything go down today and wish we were in on it. Maybe the Ruhwedel trade.
- I think it's huge for us that Edmonton didn't improve on Ceci in their top 4, and LA didn't add a goalie.
- Thought San Jose did really well. With Hertl off the books you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Both Karlsson and Hertl trades have been strong work for Grier IMO.
- The other big winner today was Winnipeg IMO. Think Toffoli will mesh with with Ehlers, and like Miller as a depth piece.
- Hertl is 30, already declining, and coming off knee surgery. I can't believe Vegas did that - I feel like that really puts the end of their contention window into sight. If I'm Craig Conroy, I'm feeling good about having that 2026 unprotected Vegas 1st.
- I would take a long, hard look at Chandler Stephenson on the UFA market this offseason.

Last edited:

Fairweather

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
There was a stat posted recently that penalties actually increase in the playoffs, I'll have to try and track that one down, it was marginal, but still interesting. May have been the first round however.
Penalties increase significantly in the first round but decrease more and more in subsequent rounds down to below average. Because there are more games in the first round, the overall number of penalties per game for the entire playoffs is slightly higher than for the regular season but if you're planning on going deep, you need to be ready for the lack of penalties called.

There was an article about how the overall number of penalties is misleading stat.

Chiripa20

May 29, 2017
Henderson, Nevada
There is no evil a businessman can’t do in the name of profits. Look, I think we all get what you’re saying, and I’m glad you can sleep at night. I don’t think anyone cares to work through the ethical debate of that decision with you. I personally was once a part of shutting down a division. 88 people lost a job, made me sick to my stomach, couldn’t sleep for weeks. It wasn’t my decision, but I was a part of the senior leadership team. I left not to long after, should be noted that the C suite got bonuses that year and raises. It’s an interesting dynamic how no one talks about that impact to overall profitability.
These type of things matter and are of the very highest priority in our lives. We all will look back on our working lives and reflect. So will our friends and family; more than we usually know. Its kind of funny that your example is similar to a situation I was a part of.
If you are an average/good performer, there is absolutely zero reason to stay working for a company that has significant poor ethics.

Actually, on a hockey note, I like the culture and openness of the new Canucks management team/office. You might not like or agree with Patrick’s results this week, but he sure seems honest with us.

Reactions: oceanchild

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
I think Winnipeg is the biggest threat in the West to us Specifically because like us they play good team defense and have the goaltending to match. Edmonton I think would be favored against every other team but both us and Winnipeg match up well against them. I'm not really afraid of any other team in the west even with these additions because they all have the same problems. They aren't particularly good possession wise and their goaltending is questionable which we seem to be excellent at taking advantage of. Vegas especially looks weak even with these deals. I know they have this mystical quality about them in the playoffs people like to worry about but I don't see it. T

I'm happy we didn't go crazy today, the future looks a lot brighter for this team than it did at the beginning of the season. Even with the OEL buyout ramping up, the cap rising and us moving some other money out means we actually have the space to improve in the offseason. It helps having our core locked up at very reasonable deals for the foreseeable future.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Stephenson is a big part of Vegas and he's better than Hertl. Now they've blocked themselves from re-signing him if they re-sign Hanifin and with the addition of Hertl. This move will go down as the trade that started the end for Vegas.

stephenson has been pretty bad this year and is looking for a big payday. he was gone this summer even if vegas hadn't acquired hertl imo

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Only player I feel we missed out on was Toffoli but don't think he's a game breaker.
As usual, the TDL prices today bordered on 'the ridiculous'. When the smoke has cleared in this spring's Stanley Cup playoffs, more than a few GM's are going to have 'buyer's remorse'.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
I would've liked to see one more guy with the physical presence of Joshua or Zadorov more than I was interested in seeing a scoring winger. The big swing this year was Lindholm, we didn't really need another like him, and certainly didn't need to break the bank or mortgage the future on a rental that may or may not have fit. Despite the price being low for some of the guys that went today, nobody out there was going to significantly move the needle for us. The current roster has remained at the top of the league most of the year, and if we can't get past at least the first round of the playoffs with these guys there are potentially deeper problems that will need to be addressed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As usual, the TDL prices today bordered on 'the ridiculous'. When the smoke has cleared in this spring's Stanley Cup playoffs, more than a few GM's are going to have 'buyer's remorse'.
Just think of the fact that the top 3 in the Central made big moves. And only 1 will get to the WCF.
I think last season it was something similar.

Van, LV, EDM all moved a 1st round pick as well. Same situation for them in the Pacific.

Reactions: arttk

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hardly surprising, but clearly , Flames players had their sights set elsewhere.

"I just couldn't get them signed. Tried up to a week ago, couldn't do it...I had to move em along"..Craig Conroy.

They're like the new Winnipeg.

Reactions: oceanchild

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I would have been down to push a few more chips in for a Toffoli level player or to have tried to do a three way around Lindholm to get Guentzel, but given he moves we've already made and the emergence of Lekk, Willander, and EP2 as untouchables I'm more than happy with Ruthervin standing firm.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The two players I wanted and would have been willing to pay fair price for (Buch+Carrier) didn't move so meh.

I'm annoyed that the Canes get away with lowballing again. Didn't even secure a 1st for Guentzel, was there really not a better offer?

The league needs to address the LTIR playoff loophole. You shouldn't be able to go over the cap with the on ice roster. The lightest touch would be to have the cap apply to the on ice roster - it isn't possible in the regular season to ice more than the cap and shouldn't be possible in the postseason.

Reactions: vanuck and DS7

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The two players I wanted and would have been willing to pay fair price for (Buch+Carrier) didn't move so meh.

I'm annoyed that the Canes get away with lowballing again. Didn't even secure a 1st for Guentzel, was there really not a better offer?

The league needs to address the LTIR playoff loophole. You shouldn't be able to go over the cap with the on ice roster. The lightest touch would be to have the cap apply to the on ice roster - it isn't possible in the regular season to ice more than the cap and shouldn't be possible in the postseason.
the point of the cap is to prevent the league from spending more money. I am not sure they care about team taking advantage of this loophole because it doesn't affect the owner's pie.

Reactions: quat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2