Trade Deadline Thread: GOLDEN CHAOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
A few thoughts:

- It's interesting that while Allvin was trying to get rid of Poolman's contract, McCrimmon in Vegas is leaning hard into the LTIR space created there. Very different managerial styles.

- The lack of a push for a top6 addition speaks to management's opinion of Suter. They value this player highly.

- The swing forward in the top6 is Mikheyev. Whatever value he has around the league, it seems like this management team values him more. CGY didn't share that opinion though re: Tanev trade.

- BOS is playing some dirty pool here. They floated Lindholm's name, imo. This way, even if things go better for the remainder of the season, he knows a team is waiting for him in FA.

- I thought Zadarov would move to make a lateral RHD trade (Tanev/Walker), My guess is that they weren't getting enough from DAL (who were rumoured to be interested in Zadarov), pre Tanev trade, in order to execute it. Then DAL grabs Tanev instead.

- The Computer Boys (CAR) get Kuznetsov. I like it for them because it's just primarily money. They have the base for him to succeed. Let's see.
Why the hell would they bounce Zadirov?

Why would they dump Lindholm a couple weeks after acquiring him?

How you connect Mik to Tanev is odd.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Disappointing that we were beat to a guy like Duhaime by the Avs, think we needed to add some meat to our depth. But otherwise I don't think there was a need to make a big D play. The Lindholm acquisition shows its not just about adding bodies, being able to have chemistry and bring players along is huge and every time you add someone you're disrupting that. Even an add like Guentzel would've carried that risk, on top of the assets and cap space needed to make it work.

At the end of the day Allvin cooked some hefty meals way before the deadline, so we weren't anywhere as pressed to add as other contenders.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I have to say I'm impressed by the longview that many on here are taking.

I've been a proponent all year that this is the beginning of a window, this year isn't an 'all-in' year. While I thought it would have been nice to add a top 9 winger with scoring touch and a 5th D who can play 4th in a pinch, I really didn't want us to get rid of too many more assets.

EP2, Lekki, WIllander, Podkolzin, Hoglander, none of these guys are players I'm comfortable moving.

I also wanted to keep Bains and Raty if possible.

We need them as skilled, cheaper backfills at the end of this year when like half of our team become UFAs.

Other than the bombshell of Hertl and Kuznetsov (for different reasons) it was a fairly quiet trade deadline.

Toffoli is the one piece that would have been great, but I'm happy protecting our assets. Blowing our brains out for a Buchnevich would have been stupid.

I maintain, teams need to learn what the playoffs feel like.

If we win the conference and decisively beat our 1st round opponent (God I hope Vegas misses the playoffs), and then are a tough out in the 2nd, then that's a good year to build off of. Once we get there, if we make it past the 1st, I will want more. But remind ourselves, we're not comparing ourselves to a team like Vegas who are trying to maximize the utility of an old (but elite ) d core and getting rid of everything that isn't buttoned down.

We're hoping to be relevant for the next 7 or 8 years. It's going to be a run ride and it starts now.

Watching the playoff races/playoffs this year is going to be such a treat. Buckle up folks!

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Kept the prospects we needed to, and didn't waste assets on rentals that wouldn't move the needle. Quite pleased with that.

With Soucy back, Podkolzin showing well, and Myers/Joshua coming back before long, that's solid depth behind a team already at or near the top. If Lindolm really is starting to find his way, and Mikheyev can bust his slump, even better. Even Friedman has looked decent when called upon.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Hardly surprising, but clearly , Flames players had their sights set elsewhere.

"I just couldn't get them signed. Tried up to a week ago, couldn't do it...I had to move em along"..Craig Conroy.

They're like the new Winnipeg.
They just want to win. Not sure if you’ve been to either city but these players are wired to win. Sure the Peg is a dump but Calgary isn’t near the eyesore Winnipeg is.

Reactions: Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Disappointing that we were beat to a guy like Duhaime by the Avs, think we needed to add some meat to our depth. But otherwise I don't think there was a need to make a big D play. The Lindholm acquisition shows its not just about adding bodies, being able to have chemistry and bring players along is huge and every time you add someone you're disrupting that. Even an add like Guentzel would've carried that risk, on top of the assets and cap space needed to make it work.

At the end of the day Allvin cooked some hefty meals way before the deadline, so we weren't anywhere as pressed to add as other contenders.
Canucks were rumored to be interested in Duhaime, and he moved to the Av's for a fairly paltry return--a third round pick, but not until 2026.

But looking at his record in three years at Providence College he barely scored 10 goals, and in three years with the Wild, he's scored even less. He tops out at nine goals and under 20 points. So you're not acquiring him for his scoring. He's sort of a 'poor man's' Sam Lafferty.

The guy I was hoping for was Jordan Greenway from the Sabres. But he's making $3m with another year on his contract. And I doubt Buffalo was willing retain any salary. But he'd have looked good on big, fast, crash-and bang line with Joshua.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I'm surprised that Arizona wouldn't take Poolmam for a pick.

Maybe this off season will make it easier with one year left.

Reactions: Indiana and David71

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Hertl is 30 and that contract is for another 6 years after this one. He is already almost broken. Can't see it aging well.
He’s baked. The league needs to clean up the cap or give everyone their own Robidas Island. It seems to be based upon what city the team is in. These caps and luxury taxes are a joke. The shit the Dodgers are pulling off in MLB is a farce. Either hard and fast rules or let them spend. The agents and lawyers pound holes through the CBA’s and a team like the Canucks bends over and grabs their ankles ….,because Gary.

WTF happened with Fatty Phil?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Canucks were rumored to be interested in Duhaime, and he moved to the Av's for a fairly paltry return--a third round pick, but not until 2026.

But looking at his record in three years at Providence College he barely scored 10 goals, and in three years with the Wild, he's scored even less. He tops out at nine goals and under 20 points. So you're not acquiring him for his scoring. He's sort of a 'poor man's' Sam Lafferty.

The guy I was hoping for was Jordan Greenway from the Sabres. But he's making $3m with another year on his contract. And I doubt Buffalo was willing retain any salary. But he'd have looked good on big, fast, crash-and bang line with Joshua.

The narrative doesn't track. They could have picked up guys they were rumoured to be interested in for reasonable prices. Only explanation is the cap wasn't as flexible as we thought (Myers not hitting LTIR) and they couldn't make any salary work. Allvin even mentioned in his presser they couldn't have afforded Kessel at basically league minimum unless they moved to accomodate. I'm not a cap magician so it's beyond me, but easiest explanation is they're basically capped out, and the cost to move salary didn't justify any of these additions.

Shame because without that constraint, this team could have taken a run at it this year, in my opinion.

Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thank you very much for saying this. This is absolutely what the sequence of events suggests and now that Pettersson has signed, the urgency to re-sign Lindholm has all but gone.

Lindholm was Pettersson insurance and I don't fault management one bit for making that trade.

Totally. I don't blame them for it either.

I think if Pettersson signs a month earlier we have Guentzel here now instead of Lindholm ... and that would have been significantly better. But spilled milk, I guess.

Did a single player like Kuzmenko get moved at the deadline as part of a return for an upgrade?

I can think of Johnsson and look at how much Colorado had to pay for that pleasure

Bunting is basically Kuzmenko in different clothing and he was apparently a desirable centerpiece for Pittsburgh.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I think with the way other contenders have bolstered up, we aren't in the top tier of the league come playoff time despite our place in the standings right now.

That said, I'm okay with us not blowing our load this year. I don't feel like it's a year we need to be going "all in" and would just be okay with a round or two to get the core some good experience together.

Reactions: Flik

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Been working all day so just catching up.

Toffoli seemed pretty cheap no? Feel like we could've grabbed him?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
A few thoughts:

- It's interesting that while Allvin was trying to get rid of Poolman's contract, McCrimmon in Vegas is leaning hard into the LTIR space created there. Very different managerial styles.
Tucker Poolman is not a Mark Stone - nobody is expecting Poolman to be activated for the playoffs and even if he is, he's not helping.

Poolman's contract ts prohibitive to start the season in at the cap. By moving the contract he can get more flexibility to start the season and perhaps use that 2.5m in UFA.

Reactions: Indiana and arttk

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Totally. I don't blame them for it either.

I think if Pettersson signs a month earlier we have Guentzel here now instead of Lindholm ... and that would have been significantly better. But spilled milk, I guess.

Bunting is basically Kuzmenko in different clothing and he was apparently a desirable centerpiece for Pittsburgh.
why did i think Bunting was a physical agitating type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca