Trade Deadline Thread: GOLDEN CHAOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Stephenson is a big part of Vegas and he's better than Hertl. Now they've blocked themselves from re-signing him if they re-sign Hanifin and with the addition of Hertl. This move will go down as the trade that started the end for Vegas.
I would rather Stephenson at whatever he'll re-sign for vs. the retained Hertl as well...but Stephenson has low-key not been good this season.

Last edited:

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
We’ve re-signed Pettersson to 8 years (kudos to Petey for taking a $1M discount).

We didn’t trade Hoglander, Lekkerimaki, Willander, Raty, Podkolzin, D-Petey, Silovs etc for non needle moving players

We still have our 2025 and 2026 1st and 2nd round picks

We’ve got $28.4M of cap space this off season.

Top 5 in the standings

A+ for this management group.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Management went out and did their deadline shopping in the All Star break, but it was the last 3 games that made them think they could win the cup? What?

Reactions: quat and Chiripa20

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Absolutely fine with no additions. Sure it would be great to see some but it’s helpful to reflect on a few things:

1) getting the Pettersson deal done extended the window significantly. This was no longer a single shot type window

2) they kept their top 3 prospects and we might actually get to see a couple of them play ion the farm this year (at least 1 anyways)

3) it seems cliche and an excuse but Alvin truly did deadline work throughout the year. If he had acquired Lindholm, Zadorov and say Lafferty the past 48 hours it would be considered a pretty good deadline week. The first two of those guys would be considered some pretty significant additions.

And don’t put stock in the “last 3 games” thing. That’s a throwaway line really and honestly those were three great games.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Did we sign Kessel? I didn't see anything on it, but I thought he has to be signed by noon to be eligible for the playoff? Or am I misunderstanding it?

Feels bad for whichever team playing Vegas (probably us, knowing our luck). They are going to be dressing a roster of over $100m, which the other team is at best dressing a roster of like $84m. Its not fair even before the puck drop. Kudos to Vegas for continuously and ruthlessly exploiting the same loophole, I applaud their aggressiveness, but it would be horribly unfair to their 1st round opponent.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Whatever you think of Lindholm (I am very optimistic about what their center depth entails for the playoffs, but that's just me), remind yourself they dumped term and cap in that deal. There's immediate upside to making that deal including some that might not get apparent.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I honestly wish they had picked up Brendan Lemieux for "free". A UFA @ 800k... less now that we're most of the way through the season. Gritty... tough to play against. Not the greatest player ever, but a legit NHL'er, IMHO. He would have been great depth for a playoff run.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy still having Lekk, Willander, Pod, Hog, Re-Petey and what's left of our high picks.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Not considering the context of the convo. It was completely normal to give an example of doing something difficult and not because I am a bad person, but because it's part of my role.
There is no evil a businessman can’t do in the name of profits. Look, I think we all get what you’re saying, and I’m glad you can sleep at night. I don’t think anyone cares to work through the ethical debate of that decision with you. I personally was once a part of shutting down a division. 88 people lost a job, made me sick to my stomach, couldn’t sleep for weeks. It wasn’t my decision, but I was a part of the senior leadership team. I left not to long after, should be noted that the C suite got bonuses that year and raises. It’s an interesting dynamic how no one talks about that impact to overall profitability.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I honestly wish they had picked up Brendan Lemieux. A UFA @ 800k... less now that we're most of the way through the season. Gritty... tough to play against. Not the greatest player ever, but a legit NHL'er, IMHO. He would have been great depth for a playoff run.

Even Carolina couldn't trust him for more than about 6-7 minutes a night, you can't have a complete liability out there on the ice and be terrified to put your line out there.

Hard to play against? He's probably one of the easiest guys to play against possible—just skate around him and completely ignore him and his antics and let him take a penalty for being a complete moron.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I really question how healthy Stone actually is that they acquired Hertl. Wonder what they know.
It’s a genetic mutation or something. Once it’s past February 15th his body conveniently starts breaking down just before the deadline but then is suddenly healed in April, almost magically.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Even Carolina couldn't trust him for more than about 6-7 minutes a night, you can't have a complete liability out there on the ice and be terrified to put your line out there.

Hard to play against? He's probably one of the easiest guys to play against possible—just skate around him and completely ignore him and his antics and let him take a penalty for being a complete moron.
:laugh: And like the Canucks get the benefit of the calls from the refs still. With a guy like that, why give the Kelly Sutherland's even more of an excuse to send one of our players to the penalty box?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

Sure, in the regular season. Once the refs put their whistles away, he becomes more effective.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
My only comment on the San Jose Sharks and what they have been doing:

Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 2.53.54 PM.png

Reactions: MS and Peen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events