GDT: Trade Deadline - This Time, it's Personnel

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I don’t want to trade Ehlers...not sure how that’s what you got. Based on the trade market I doubt we recoup anything at this point that returns the same value as Ehlers.
You said his return would be slightly higher than what Athanasiou fetched.
I think he would fetch far more.

Reactions: hn777

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You said his return would be slightly higher than what Athanasiou fetched.

Trade deadline prices and offseason prices are different. I don't think looking at the return for some guys today and extrapolating that to what X player would've got is the right way to go.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
depth is the biggest issue on the team though, it's more about what it's taking out then coming in. shaw/shore/bourque do nothing in the ozone and you can hardly play them, our top end guys have to carry 100% of the offense and are being over played. sbisa/bitetto/beaulieu are hardly ahl players that can't barely move the puck up the ice and as a result we are stuck in the dzone all night.

Neither DeMelo or Eakin are impact players who can on their own significantly address the bolded issues. DeMelo will have a greater positive impact imho than Eakin can have.

Before we add DeMelo and Eakin, we are a bubble team, unlikely to make the playoffs. If we squeak in, watch for early exit.

After we add about 20 games worth of Eakin and DeMelo, we are a bubble team, unlikely to make the playoffs. If we squeak in, watch for early exit.

I think we just have a different opinion on how these two adds will actually have any meaningful impact to the eventual end of the Winnipeg Jets season. That's cool. Peace.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Trade deadline prices and offseason prices are different. I don't think looking at the return for some guys today and extrapolating that to what X player would've got is the right way to go.
I get it. But Ehlers would fetch far more in either scenario.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I get it. But Ehlers would fetch far more in either scenario.

He would fetch more than Anathasiou or Goodrow, definitely. I was just saying that using the 2 2nds return as a gauge for what Ehlers would bring is apples and oranges. He's not the type of player that gets traded at the deadline.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don’t want to trade Ehlers...not sure how that’s what you got. Based on the trade market I doubt we recoup anything at this point that returns the same value as Ehlers.

The difference (aside from skill level) between Ehlers and most of those guys today is that he is signed to an awesome long-term contract, which only adds to his value.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Chevy intends to extend DeMelo. I think I'd be happy if the Jets traded a 3rd and 4th for a signed DeMelo, leave aside the Eakin rental. So I'm fine with Chevy's deadline, and would be very happy if DeMelo signs for 3+ years at a decent price.
Chevy did mention that both could be more than rentals. If he can sign Demelo I would be thrilled. It’s hard enough to develop decent prospects into such reliable Ds, so if we get a few years of that type of player for a 3rd that would be great!

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm fine with no moves today. As long as Morrissey is ok, plan gets his head out of his ass and we can keep our top 7 healthy the D corps is serviceable.

It's up to the forwards now. No more room for Buffaloian efforts.
Lol up to the forwards. We have the worst defense in the league.

Reactions: ATLbound

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think that Eakin will re sign here, I'm 50/50 on Demelo, hopeful the Samberg comes here and he is who many of us think he is
Adding those two and Heinola in fall or the year after is a nice group along with Pionk and Morrissey. Should be able to find one more D in the 4-5 million dollar range.
But I still think there is a bigger need for a second line centre and I like Little. But we won’t have him, Copp and Lowry forever, especially with the expansion draft coming.

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Neither DeMelo or Eakin are impact players who can on their own significantly address the bolded issues. DeMelo will have a greater positive impact imho than Eakin can have.

Before we add DeMelo and Eakin, we are a bubble team, unlikely to make the playoffs. If we squeak in, watch for early exit.

After we add about 20 games worth of Eakin and DeMelo, we are a bubble team, unlikely to make the playoffs. If we squeak in, watch for early exit.

I think we just have a different opinion on how these two adds will actually have any meaningful impact to the eventual end of the Winnipeg Jets season. That's cool. Peace.
oh I thought you were talking about adding more depth today, yeah these 2 won't move the needle much but adding some other depth would have helped.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I am good with Cheveldayoff not doing anything.

With our current defense, I just can't see how we will beat St. Louis, Dallas, Colorado, Tampa Bay, Carolina four times in seven games.

Sure, maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle and go on a run, but, I wouldn't bet my house on it.

So, we take a step back this season and reload next season.

In the meantime, I hope we win every game, but, if we don't, I won't lose sleep over it.

tumblr_pdc7fnuL051uphxvgo1_400.gifv

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't think that Eakin will re sign here, I'm 50/50 on Demelo, hopeful the Samberg comes here and he is who many of us think he is

Samburg is going to be a very good bottom pairing guy. Button Even said he would be a number 4 defenseman. He isnt saving anything around here

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad