GDT: Trade Deadline (Friday, March 8 @ 3PM) Thread

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I wouldn't be so optimistic going by his words.... he mentioned maybe it means getting a 4th line center who is good at face-offs and can PK...and then talked about growing internally again.

They'll be small adds..but we're basically running it back again imo.
Yeah tried listening to presser but it is like nails on a chalkboard. I concur. Run it back seems to be the plan. Major surgery is needed, but I do not think they have the stomach for it.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't know how you can just add a 4C and think they're good down the middle, with no other guys that can play C, and no prospects ready to play C. If anything you want to have five, maybe even six guys that are actual centers. They have three, and KA talks about needing another...happy with Thompson and Cozens as if they didn't just fall on their faces the last five months.

Reactions: Chainshot

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Also, sounds like whatever Team called immediately turned around and contacted EF. The Canucks press huddle is pretty toxic and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if that’s where that came from.
i thought it was stated by Merek at one point that it was Vegas and Boston, but maybe those were the ones who called after the 31 thoughts initial report that Adams just referred to

Might not be doom and gloom enough for everyone, but I read that as "No more EJ" type acquisitions. Veteran players solely for the sake of being veterans.

The #1 talent improvement is going to come from within, as others noted it's the youngest team, so that makes sense.
No one ever thought EJ was a good idea to begin with. No one wanted that or ever thought it was a good idea except for Buffalo management.

Didn’t work with Staal, didn’t work with Anderson, didn’t work with Okposo. They needed leadership that was also still hungry and at their peak. Not washed up leadership.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
i thought it was stated by Merek at one point that it was Vegas and Boston, but maybe those were the ones who called after the 31 thoughts initial report that Adams just referred to

No one ever thought EJ was a good idea to begin with. No one wanted that or ever thought it was a good idea except for Buffalo management

There's a certain section of the gin mill crowd who also thinks washed vets should be brought in for the kids.

The only type of washed vet I'd want to see is one who's allowed to get away with a ton of penalties. They're pretty far down the rookies don't get calls ladder.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It should be noted that the GOAT Bob MacKenzie ...has been quiet all season and comes in on TDL day and breaks the biggest trade of the day like a boss.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

No one ever thought EJ was a good idea to begin with. No one wanted that or ever thought it was a good idea except for Buffalo management.

Didn’t work with Staal, didn’t work with Anderson, didn’t work with Okposo. They needed leadership that was also still hungry and at their peak. Not washed up leadership.
The problem is and always has been guys don't want to play here. There is a reason we end up with the EJs off the world.

It's getting really tiring having many think the NHL runs like NHL24.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I don’t want veterans to help the young guys “learn to grow” I want good f***ing players and to win. That’s what Adams is saying and I don’t have a problem with the concept at all.

It’s more if he can actually pull that off
You know what? You're right. Crouse isnt a rugged veteran, and I'd be ecstatic if he was traded for.

I'm just a bit tired of waiting for this team to turn the corner into something worth watching, so I've been posting a bit more frustrated than usual.

Now, we twiddle our thumbs and pray Adams makes some moves this summer.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The problem is and always has been guys don't want to play here. There is a reason we end up with the EJs off the world.

It's getting really tiring having many think the NHL runs like NHL24.
Dude, I’m tired of people like you pretending it’s not possible. You’re wrong. You just pony up the assets for guys who are 25 and don’t have a choice. I’m tired of this lazy ass take that good trades are possible for a shithole like WPG but not Buffalo. Lazy and wrong.

Try hiring and experienced GM and coach - people who do have a choice will want to play here. Who in their right mind would choose to play for Granato?

You know what? You're right. Crouse isnt a rugged veteran, and I'd be ecstatic if he was traded for.

I'm just a bit tired of waiting for this team to turn the corner into something worth watching, so I've been posting a bit more frustrated than usual.

Guess what - Crouse doesn’t have a say where he goes. Yet everyone will tell you it’s impossible because he doesn’t want to play in Buffalo.

And you know why people who do have a choice won’t play here? Because they won’t fire the coach that everybody knows sucks

Reactions: DJN21

Deleted member 347444

And? He doesn’t offer anything outside of his shot. For teams, that are buyers are looking for much more than he brings to the team.
what and?! Some teams are looking for exactly that. You act as if he can barely skate, he can do a little bit otherwise he wouldn't play in the NHL

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
what and?! Some teams are looking for exactly that. You act as if he can barely skate, he can do a little bit otherwise he wouldn't play in the NHL
He’s only in the NHL because he’s on the Buffalo Sabres.

He can physically skate just fine. But he’s not an efficient or effective player.

Playoff teams at this time of year are looking for the supporting roles that play the game in the way Oloffson doesn’t, or they are looking for offensive help for their 5 on 5 play which Victor is not providing currently even in his limited capabilities.

Teams aren’t going to give Oloffson the type of icetime on the PP that Buffalo has gifted him with how little he does away from special teams. Much like how teams have taken away Tage’s onetimer because of the predictable nature of it, teams know VO has one trick and one trick only, and it’s very easy to prevent.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
What can sabres do in summer ? Feels like they have a weak team in papper, never improve
Well KA already said the plan in his 30 min interview, it's trade for a 4th line Center who can win faceoffs (Probably trades our first) and expect Krebs to step up along with some sabres prospects Rosen and Kulich.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Well KA already said the plan in his 30 min interview, it's trade for a 4th line Center who can win faceoffs (Probably trades our first) and expect Krebs to step up along with some sabres prospects Rosen and Kulich.

If he trades a top 10 pick for a 4C that would be a reason to riot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What can sabres do in summer ? Feels like they have a weak team in papper, never improve
Depends on the budget. They probably could address some issues if they had the full backing of ownership.

As for the players themselves, a good start would be every at single practice 5 on 5 from now going forward is to wall off the ice with the sides being the faceoff dots boundary, so that they learn how to play in the middle of the ice in all 3 zones.

Kind of proud that the GM understands that the team is a young age, but they are experienced.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

I would sacrifice my first born to add Crouse. And by that I mean I would, but I don't have children so i can't.

Crouse is exactly the type of player I feel like this team needs.

• Haha
Reactions: JLewyB

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Sabres fan coming in peace...

Replying not to joshjull (actually, he'll understand exactly what I've saying) but to the posters who are disappointed in Kevyn from Accounting's (thanks @TehDoak, nice moniker) statements. I am on vacation this week, have kept up on mobile, but haven't listened to any direct press statements, etc. but many have responded negatively to Adams public statements.

Ask yourself what good he does by publicly stating the truth?

What if he publicly says he has no faith in the current youngsters to ever develop enough internally to get over the hump and play as a team and make the playoffs? What good does that public disclosure do to motivate the remaining team?

What if he publicly declares the guys he gave high-dollar long-term deals to aren't earning it?

"Looking for a 4th line center" signals to Krebs he's going to get a shot at a bigger role.

If Kevyn declares he needs big changes in the top forwards, on top of the non-stellar years they are already having, one or more adjectives describing each of their seasons to date as inconsistent, setbacks, under-achievements, beset by injuries, etc., then he dramatically weakens his trading position for any offseason deals and doubles the price he needs to pay for whomever he tries to bring in, regardless of whether the player he targets is available or not.

It just doesn't make sense for him to bid against himself for any potential offseason acquisitions, and anything other than the pablum he declared this afternoon would be bidding against himself.

============
As I see it:

Thompson - often skates like a drunken baby giraffe, doesn't widen his stance, easily pushed off the puck, not good at winning corner battles, can't pass / distribute like a #1C should be able to. Too easy for opponents to shut down. I don't see him leading a team - any team - on a deep playoff run. There is nothing in his game which screams "must have" for Sabres to challenge for the Cup.
Tuch - one of the few Sabres who can win a corner battle. You can stay in BUF as long as you want, has had a rough year, am hoping an underlying injury is responsible. Hoping he can put on 10-15 pounds as I think it would help his stamina for a full season. Players like him need to be added to the roster.
Skinner - Is what he is. A complementary piece on a playoff team. Nothing essential.
Cozens - hot and cold. I agree he'd be better on the wing, but they can't afford to not play him at center.
Peterka - has a lot of burst, and fun to watch, but disappears in his own zone, or arrives below the faceoff hashmarks after the puck is behind his own goalie.
Quinn - heal up. You can stay in BUF.
Greenway - Outplayed expectations since joining BUF a year ago. You can stay in BUF. Always gives the effort, and with frequent good results in all zones.
Girgensons - You're welcome back if you want it. If you resign, I'm sure your psychiatrist will write a JAMA article on you someday.
Krebs - Stop tapping your stick on the ice every time you dish it then want the puck off the rush in the attacking zone. If your teammates felt you wouldn't turn it over, they'd return-pass it to you.
Benson - Nice job rookie. Can we brain-transfuse just a little but of yours to a half-dozen of your teammates?
Robinson - Excellent example of how a waiver acquisition can earn a spot on the Sabres roster from north-south responsible play. Hope he re-signs.

Dahlin - the only current BUF player essential for a deep playoff run.
Samuelsson - heal up. ~$4M per when healthy is a fine value deal.
Power - nothing about your game screams "must have", especially at $8+M per year starting next year. Big but not physical (and I don't mean hitting, I mean pushing guys off the puck or taking a stance and claiming the ice down low and preventing guys from moving you out of the way). Too often caught 1-step too late when the puck is in the back of his own goal.
Joker - good year. Can you play like that next year.
Bryson - Kevyn did you a solid with that poison-pill 2-year contract to keep you getting plucked off waivers. Never again. (although you haven't been bad once injuries hit the rest of the d-corps).
Ryan Johnson - thanks for signing, you can stay in BUF (waived to ROC today for AHL playoffs, I assume?)
Clifton - I thought you were fine this year.

UPL - showed us you can handle a workload at a decently high level of performance. Can you repeat?
Levi - showed us you need games, and they'll have to be in the AHL for now.
Comrie - showed us you like Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Donnie G. - showed us you have a long way to go with this squad, and that you may not be up to the task. Perhaps my personal biggest enigma, especially after last year's growth from the team.

Deleted member 347444

He’s only in the NHL because he’s on the Buffalo Sabres.

He can physically skate just fine. But he’s not an efficient or effective player.

Playoff teams at this time of year are looking for the supporting roles that play the game in the way Oloffson doesn’t, or they are looking for offensive help for their 5 on 5 play which Victor is not providing currently even in his limited capabilities.

Teams aren’t going to give Oloffson the type of icetime on the PP that Buffalo has gifted him with how little he does away from special teams. Much like how teams have taken away Tage’s onetimer because of the predictable nature of it, teams know VO has one trick and one trick only, and it’s very easy to prevent.
Sry, what you're saying is complete nonsense.
Are you seriously telling me that an Okposos is more effective than an Olofsson? If it's like you say, why did Florida want Okposo?! And please don't argue based on his leadership qualities... he has little or no of them, and Florida has enough leaders anyway.
You put forward arguments that seem sensible to you, but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Every player in the NHL has his advantages, some more, others less. When the team is right and the chemistry is right, every player plays to his limit. That was obviously no longer the case with Oloffson and the Sabres.
There have also been phases where everyone praised him to the skies, it's more a matter of attitude or, as already mentioned, the chemistry between team and player whether the performance is right or not.

Again... teams are looking for players with good shots, and he can skate too. Who are you to say NHL teams don't want Oloffson?! That's a bit arrogant, sorry that I have to say it like that. You have your opinion, but it doesn't have to be right, especially not for everyone

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Are you seriously telling me that an Okposos is more effective than an Olofsson? If it's like you say, why did Florida want Okposo?! And please don't argue based on his leadership qualities... he has little or no of them, and Florida has enough leaders anyway.
You put forward arguments that seem sensible to you, but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Every player in the NHL has his advantages, some more, others less. When the team is right and the chemistry is right, every player plays to his limit. That was obviously no longer the case with Oloffson and the Sabres.
There have also been phases where everyone praised him to the skies, it's more a matter of attitude or, as already mentioned, the chemistry between team and player whether the performance is right or not.

Again... teams are looking for players with good shots, and he can skate too. Who are you to say NHL teams don't want Oloffson?! That's a bit arrogant, sorry that I have to say it like that. You have your opinion, but it doesn't have to be right, especially not for everyone
Okposo is better than Oloffson, it's not even close

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Yes, Okposo, despite his food speed, was a far more effective player because of his board play and his ability to sustain possession in the offensive zone. A team like Florida, that plays that heavy style, that essentially has everything they need, decided to acquire Okposo. He most likely was the cost effective asset option to trade for that fit their game. I expect Kyle to become their 13-14th forward by the way(I’m not a fan of Okposo AT ALL).

As for Olofsson, the guy is an expensive 5 goal scorer for this year, and he can’t stay in the lineup for a team that needs offense. His value as an asset, especially a UFA to be, wasn’t at a point where teams were willing to depart with draft picks, especially when there other better options that could play a better all around game.

Like I said, his style of game wouldn’t have worked for any playoff contending teams, where it gets more physical and puck possession is most important. Those aren’t his strengths.

Of the contenders, he may have fit best on Edmonton style-wise, but they were most likely looking for things that Victor doesn’t offer. The other teams, were well stacked, and I don’t see Victor bumping out anybody, as they most likely had better players, or guys cheaper that provided the same level of play.

Deleted member 347444

Yes, Okposo, despite his food speed, was a far more effective player because of his board play and his ability to sustain possession in the offensive zone. A team like Florida, that plays that heavy style, that essentially has everything they need, decided to acquire Okposo. He most likely was the cost effective asset option to trade for that fit their game. I expect Kyle to become their 13-14th forward by the way(I’m not a fan of Okposo AT ALL).

As for Olofsson, the guy is an expensive 5 goal scorer for this year, and he can’t stay in the lineup for a team that needs offense. His value as an asset, especially a UFA to be, wasn’t at a point where teams were willing to depart with draft picks, especially when there other better options that could play a better all around game.

Like I said, his style of game wouldn’t have worked for any playoff contending teams, where it gets more physical and puck possession is most important. Those aren’t his strengths.

Of the contenders, he may have fit best on Edmonton style-wise, but they were most likely looking for things that Victor doesn’t offer. The other teams, were well stacked, and I don’t see Victor bumping out anybody, as they most likely had better players, or guys cheaper that provided the same level of play.
We're going around in circles, your argument is simply not conclusive. okposo plays physical?! where? When?
You argue with Edmonton, playing style appropriate, and claim Olofsson is a 5 goal scorer. Have you seen how many games Olofsson has played this season? How many goals did he score in the previous season and in which line did he have to play? Due to injury, he wasn't able to perform as well as he did in previous years. I could say the same about Thompson. According to his statistics, he wouldn't be a trade candidate if he had performed so well over the last two seasons. Does that make him any less interesting?! I don't believe. These are factors that you don't take into account.
Everyone has their perspective and their opinion regarding certain players, you have yours, I have mine. I have described my arguments to you, and you have described yours to me, although some of yours do not seem logical to me

Deleted member 347444

Okposo is better than Oloffson, it's not even close
definitely even😂
Okposo has just cost the Sabres unnecessary money over the last few years. There are plenty of players like this on the market.
You can get a player like that for 1 to 1.5 million a year.
I'm curious to see how he performs with the Panthers, but I wouldn't expect too much

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wouldn't be so optimistic going by his words.... he mentioned maybe it means getting a 4th line center who is good at face-offs and can PK...and then talked about growing internally again.

They'll be small adds..but we're basically running it back again imo.
I’m not being optimistic. I’m just putting off the doom and gloom overtaking me until the off-season. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Beerz

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
We're going around in circles, your argument is simply not conclusive. okposo plays physical?! where? When?
You argue with Edmonton, playing style appropriate, and claim Olofsson is a 5 goal scorer. Have you seen how many games Olofsson has played this season? How many goals did he score in the previous season and in which line did he have to play? Due to injury, he wasn't able to perform as well as he did in previous years. I could say the same about Thompson. According to his statistics, he wouldn't be a trade candidate if he had performed so well over the last two seasons. Does that make him any less interesting?! I don't believe. These are factors that you don't take into account.
Everyone has their perspective and their opinion regarding certain players, you have yours, I have mine. I have described my arguments to you, and you have described yours to me, although some of yours do not seem logical to me
Not sure how much more clearly I can explain it.

Oloffson isn’t that good of a player, and his one strength, usually a hot commodity in the league, isn’t good enough for teams to overlook with the lack of his overall game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad