GDT: Trade Deadline (Friday, March 8 @ 3PM) Thread

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Calgary really held out for that first round pick as long as possible.

if as long as possible is 8 and a half days before the deadline.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Boosh's numbers this year in Anaheim are poor but he's a known quantity with the Leafs and in a shrinking RD market, they got something they needed.

It's also funny watching the difference between Dubas acquisition (and Boosh having some quietly good analytics in Arizona) to now with Treliving (who likes his defensemen to be a bit more stout and also Boosh's numbers as a Duck are... well... crap).

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Boosh's numbers this year in Anaheim are poor but he's a known quantity with the Leafs and in a shrinking RD market, they got something they needed.

It's also funny watching the difference between Dubas acquisition (and Boosh having some quietly good analytics in Arizona) to now with Treliving (who likes his defensemen to be a bit more stout and also Boosh's numbers as a Duck are... well... crap).

I don't remember anybody saying it was a great pick up during Dubas' time. But there's some truth of the 2nd part of acquiring a bad player again. You should be criticized for acquiring a guy that was bad during the 1st time, and you then decide to get him again to try and improve the team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't remember anybody saying it was a great pick up during Dubas' time. But there's some truth of the 2nd part of acquiring a bad player again. You should be criticized for acquiring a guy that was bad during the 1st time, and you then decide to get him again to try and improve the team.

There were some stat-heads who loved the move the first time.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This thread is depressing because we are eliminated from playoff contention and thus everyone already knows what we will do: Trade some vets to a contender for mid-late round picks. It's the biggest nothingburger imaginable.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This thread is depressing because we are eliminated from playoff contention and thus everyone already knows what we will do: Trade some vets to a contender for mid-late round picks. It's the biggest nothingburger imaginable.

Eh, they have had years in recent memory where nothing happened. Vic Olofsson will be playing the part of Colin Miller this year for one I expect.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
But just wait until they package two 5ths for a 4th on draft day!! It doesn't get any better than that.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Nothing will top last year's trade thread. That thing was a total train wreck until the Greenway trade.
Get ready to be amazed :)

I like that we at least hear Buffalo and Tanev. I don't think we were ever serious but it always makes for good reading material when we get to see Buffalo in the rumor mill.

Reactions: Moncton man

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll take that over a 2024 6th rounder for a 2025 6th rounder. That was a situation where we just kind of forgot the time-value of an asset.

Ah yes, 2018 Botts at his finest. The funny thing about that pick swap? Toronto took Pontus Holmberg. Buffalo used the pick the next year in another Botts master plan to trade up to take Filip Cederqvist.

Reactions: cybresabre

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I know nothing will happen but if I was the GM I would swing for the fences to get the team ready for next season.

I'd like to give Granato a shot with a more complete team as well, he'd get the last stretch of the season to remove any doubt about him as a coach.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'll take that over a 2024 6th rounder for a 2025 6th rounder. That was a situation where we just kind of forgot the time-value of an asset.
Ah yes, 2018 Botts at his finest. The funny thing about that pick swap? Toronto took Pontus Holmberg. Buffalo used the pick the next year in another Botts master plan to trade up to take Filip Cederqvist.
We got a later 6th for that too besides being a year later. Oh the memories.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Y'all remember how heated last year's tradel deadline thread got? Fond memories.

Im hoping for another Greenway type addition to the bottom-6. Also, a few vets traded for picks. Nothing too crazy. Obviously, I want more additions before next season, but most of that will have to happen in the offseason (Im not holding my breath, though)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We got a later 6th for that too besides being a year later. Oh the memories.

Right - they used the Leaf 6th (177) and their own 7th (191) in 2019 so they could move up to 143 to take Cederqvist. The Wings took a defenseman who is playing down in HockeyEttan (third tier in Sweden) named Gustav Berglund at 177 and Carter Gylander a goalie - Colgate's starter last year and this) at 191. It would've been so very Sabre if either of those guys had also wound up making it.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad