GDT: Trade Deadline (Friday, March 8 @ 3PM) Thread

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Not sure why. He's absolutely right that our better players need to play better. Between that and the PP, that's been the downfall of the season.

As far as the veterans part of the quote -- EJ brought leadership but not much else.
He didn’t mention anything about subtractions. If he means that he will make additional hockey trades, great all for it. If he thinks they are not needed because the guys in the room just need to pick it up? Well we have seen that movie and it wasn’t good. He has draft capital, prospects, cap and roster players to do alot this summer. Time will tell.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Not sure why. He's absolutely right that our better players need to play better. Between that and the PP, that's been the downfall of the season.

As far as the veterans part of the quote -- EJ brought leadership but not much else.
We will probably be the youngest, and least disciplined team in the league again. He needs to add some sort of plan to have accountability instead of just hoping the guys he already has "do better next time" with no attempt at changing anything significant.

If you're going to rely on the same guys, you at least need to hire a new coach.

Reactions: Chainshot

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
We will probably be the youngest, and least disciplined team in the league again. He needs to add some sort of plan to have accountability instead of just hoping the guys he already has "do better next time" with no attempt at changing anything significant.

If you're going to rely on the same guys, you at least need to hire a new coach.
We’ll augment the roster with Kulich and Rosen in the bottom 6 next year and miss the playoffs by 20 points.

Then Adams will sell Tuch/ Greenway for picks at next years TDL. At Adams presser he’ll say that there was progress with the youngsters and we need more out of the “vets” on the team so he traded them for prospects to rejuvenate the roster. Dahlin requests a trade, Cozens probably too and we’ll blow it up again.

• Haha
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Friedman scrambling for things to fill his 32 thoughts makes up something or at the very least overplays Tuch stuff. Which turns “teams calling about Tuch” into a self fulfilling prophecy as teams read that and start calling.

Also, sounds like whatever Team called immediately turned around and contacted EF. The Canucks press huddle is pretty toxic and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if that’s where that came from.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I find the now we're adding guys to help us win instead of for leadership more worrying. Why wasn't he doing that in the last bunch of years?
They did it internally with the 2 years of development before this season, growing and developing from within. To facilitate that they chose not to acquire anyone who would block the youngsters. They knew they weren’t going to have much team success as this played out, but they had an end game.

If you wanna argue this past off-season they could’ve done more. I’m with you. They gambled on value vets and another level of growth internally. It didn’t work out. So now they’re adjusting and we’ll see if Adams can figure it out.

But you can’t now pretend that growing players internally working out was some fluke that doesn't count as additions.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bring back Lindy

So they can have a young team that gives up a lot of chances and doesn’t get good goaltending and generates off the rush and with some random players who get preferential treatment? Because that’s what went on in New Jersey too. It sounds a lot like what was going on in Buffalo other than the fact that 6K figured out how to stop a puck.

• Wow
Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I don’t want veterans to help the young guys “learn to grow” I want good f***ing players and to win. That’s what Adams is saying and I don’t have a problem with the concept at all.

It’s more if he can actually pull that off

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
They did it internally with the 2 years of development before this season, growing and developing from within. To facilitate that they chose not to acquire anyone who would block the youngsters. They knew they weren’t going to have much team success as this played out, but they had an end game.

If you wanna argue this past off-season they could’ve done more. I’m with you. They gambled on value vets and another level of growth internally. It didn’t work out. So now they’re adjusting and we’ll see Adams can figure it out.

Bu you can’t now pretend that growing players internally working was some fluke that doesn't count as additions.
I agree with the plan for the last couple years. Now is when a transition should be taking place after figuring out what you have in this deep prospect pool. Instead of adding vets that are actually good and will help them win games, KA is going sideways making one spot stronger and making another weaker, with no intention of getting (good) vets to fill in the gaps.

Not sure how that latest quotes jives with the one before about making calls for a veteran center though. I mean, I don't really believe he tried hard because if he really wanted one he shouldn't have traded Mitts. I think what KA means when saying no vets, is no expensive contracts. Obviously the guys in the room need to play better, but he's relying on that because most of them are still on cheap contracts.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Curious of the price tag restriction that applies to the limitations of these “good players” because we sure as hell know he’s not going to pay premium pricing to acquire said players.

Also, with everything that has been said, it really comes off like Adams has no idea HOW to manage or build a team outside of “get finesse skilled players”. Seems he wants to try and build a team without many attributes of a team that has historically been factors in a team’s competitiveness.

Reactions: Daz28

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree with the plan for the last couple years. Now is when a transition should be taking place after figuring out what you have in this deep prospect pool. Instead of adding vets that are actually good and will help them win games, KA is going sideways making one spot stronger and making another weaker, with no intention of getting (good) vets to fill in the gaps.
I agree we went sideways. I’m also someone that wanted Mitts to get signed. But this trade is about next year and beyond. So I’m gonna wait and see how the off-season plays out before I start worrying

Not sure how that latest quotes jives with the one before about making calls for a veteran center though. I mean, I don't really believe he tried hard because if he really wanted one he shouldn't have traded Mitts. I think what KA means when saying no vets, is no expensive contracts. Obviously the guys in the room need to play better, but he's relying on that because most of them are still on cheap contracts.
He probably didn’t try that hard. But again, it’s about next year and beyond so I’m gonna wait for the off-season. A lot of times off-season trades have the groundwork laid out at this time of year. Plus its a bigger market in the summer.

He was also pretty specific about the kind of vet center he wanted. A 4th liner who was good on draws and could PK.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpeg
    IMG_1910.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 2

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I agree we went sideways. I’m also someone that wanted Mitts to get signed. But this trade is about next year and beyond. So I’m gonna wait and see how the off-season plays out before I start worrying

He probably didn’t try that hard. But again, it’s about next year and beyond so I’m gonna wait for the off-season. A lot of times off-season trades have the groundwork laid out at this time of year. Plus its a bigger market in the summer.

He was also pretty specific about the kind of vet center he wanted. A 4th liner who was good on draws and could PK.

I wouldn't be so optimistic going by his words.... he mentioned maybe it means getting a 4th line center who is good at face-offs and can PK...and then talked about growing internally again.

They'll be small adds..but we're basically running it back again imo.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Ahh...just as I vented about in other threads (or this one...idk anymore). A Sturm add is great, I actually posted about him months ago, but that was hopefully in addition to what we had, not just axing Mitts and moving Krebs up to be not as good for a while (ever?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad