Who gets traded at the trade deadline?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
It was pretty tough man, I've been following hockey for awhile (like most here). I truly think you have to go back to Mike Milbury with the Isles at the turn of the century to see a team that was as poorly managed as the Kings were for those three seasons before Blake took over. And I think most teams probably realize it, and it's why a 2 time winning GM can't get a job. This organization was (still is) a disaster.

That being said, Blake has not helped the problems but he inherited a disaster situation. An aging team with a bunch of terrible contracts and a terrible farm system.

Let's not get carried away. Of our top prospects:

Kupari is in Finland
Vilardi is hurt
Anderson is in college
Phillips, JAD and Thomas are still in juniors
Gundstrom just got here.

Plus, there have been an unusual amount of call ups to the big club this year. Obviously, Strothers will have to go as Blake decides what system the 'new' Kings will play. And we are going to have to nail at least three starters from the 5 picks we have in the top 85 in this draft. The bad contracts will inevitably fade away, but with a good bounce of a ping-pong ball, a rested back and the right coach/system, this ship could turn around quite quickly.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
It certainly is discouraging to have a last place AHL team as well but I think back to the Calder Cup-winning Manchester Monarchs. How many of those guys became something more than a depth player at the NHL level? Weal, Mersch, O´Neill, Shore, Dowd... Colin Miller is the one guy who looks somewhat impactful out of the lot of them, not counting Kempe who only joined after his season in Sweden was over.

So I´m not too hung up on AHL success. The lack thereof at the NHL level is much more concerning with players like Kopitar, Doughty and Quick still on the roster. This team should, at worst, be a fringe playoff team. It´s baffling that they´re this bad.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I used to enjoy your posts, now you're just childish. Everyone knew these days were coming, you act as if only a handful of people saw this disaster coming.

something happened to that guy

got married, addicted to sniffing glue, i dunno... maybe Bowie's passing was hard on him

but I miss the old witty and poised Ziggy as well

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Let's not get carried away. Of our top prospects:

Kupari is in Finland
Vilardi is hurt
Anderson is in college
Phillips, JAD and Thomas are still in juniors
Gundstrom just got here.

Plus, there have been an unusual amount of call ups to the big club this year. Obviously, Strothers will have to go as Blake decides what system the 'new' Kings will play. And we are going to have to nail at least three starters from the 5 picks we have in the top 85 in this draft. The bad contracts will inevitably fade away, but with a good bounce of a ping-pong ball, a rested back and the right coach/system, this ship could turn around quite quickly.

Things are getting better, but the Kings up until the Muzzin trade were still trying to win with a core that is still heavily influenced by draft picks made 16 and 14 years ago.

My whole point was that Blake truly was dealt a horrendous hand when he took over, almost all the prospects you listed have been added since Blake took over.

Reactions: crassbonanza

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Blake is unable to move dead weight, that much has been confirmed by him. It's just too damn hard :(

yea Robbie, no one said your f***ing job would be easy

he gets rid of the easy contracts, gets stuck with Lewis, Toffoli, Kovalchuk, Phaneuf, Quick, Martinez, etc

how many armchair GMs can trade a Fantenberg for a 4th?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
something happened to that guy

got married, addicted to sniffing glue, i dunno... maybe Bowie's passing was hard on him

but I miss the old witty and poised Ziggy as well

It's nice to see that I have secret admirers who obsess over me and every word I have to type. It's nice to feel wanted. Unlike the Kings.

But don't be disappointed, I'll continue shutting up belligerent fans.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Absolutely disappointed as well. I didn't care much about getting returns for players with bad contracts, I wanted contracts gone and spots opening up on the roster.

Same, hopefully he can decapitate a few players.

Kopitar is a joke of a captain. Always has been.

Pathetic.

This team is a god damn joke.
I'm ****ing mad that Fantenberg gets trade but Forbort, Quick, Martinez, and Carter are still Kings.
It's not about "winning the trade" it's about getting rid of those players and their contracts.
The lack of news about them being available also made it clear that they weren't shopping much.
The players who were rumored to be getting traded today were traded for the most part.

So that irks me as well. One could make a case that the Kings weren't shopping those players heavily.

Maybe Blake is overvaluing the return? Deadline deals are not the same as draft day or off season. Maybe he feels he'll get a better return with more teams (not just playoff bound ones) interested. Some of those teams might be in a different status CAP wise by then.
He knows he can't keep this roster, and I think Quick, Carter, Kovy and AMart will be gone. Hopefully more.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Sol,

It's very likely that no one wanted Quick, Carter or Forbort. It takes two to tango.

My point is, players that are on the trade block have many outlets indicating that they're available. Nothing like that happened for those players. No one mentioned them.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Nobody is stopping you. Do you know what was being offered or what was turned down? If so, spill the details.

Still think he didn't get enough for Tanner Pearson?

i still think you don't trade a player when his value is at an all time low yes yes 200%, this will never change

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
i still think you don't trade a player when his value is at an all time low yes yes 200%, this will never change

So the entire team's value is at an all-time low, and he held onto most of the team. So he did something right then by not trading Carter and Quick and whoever else is performing well below their expectation?

Guess Blake missed out on acquiring Erik Gudbranson.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Again, and that is what I am asking for, show me where that has been done, by choice.....from any team, it's simply not done by choice, in pro sports.

You think moving Muzzin was a choice? The play of the team dictated that....

Sports? The Patriots say hello.

Hockey? Doesn't happen often but that is kind of the point. Why go down with the ship every time if it generally doesn't work? The main thing is that it ignores what became of the Kings after 2014 and how much different the team was in 2017 v. '14.

As for moving Muzzin, he didn't have to trade him. Guy was playing the best hockey on the team. Could have moved Martinez for less of a return or just held pat and decided that this season was the fluke as opposed to last year.

Reactions: KINGS17

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
nobody wants our shit players but then apparently guys like Gudbranson and Beaulieu are still attractive to some

heck Matt Hendricks, the guy that never plays in the nhl but is super good to have around, still got traded again lol

Del Zotto another misfit
Weal another misfit
Brassard how many times?

it is definitely possible to trade a guy like Trevor Lewis or Derek Forbort, but it's just way toooooo hardddd for poor lil Blakey :(:(:(

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
nobody wants our **** players but then apparently guys like Gudbranson and Beaulieu are still attractive to some

heck Matt Hendricks, the guy that never plays in the nhl but is super good to have around, still got traded again lol

Del Zotto another misfit
Weal another misfit
Brassard how many times?

it is definitely possible to trade a guy like Trevor Lewis or Derek Forbort, but it's just way toooooo hardddd for poor lil Blakey :(:(:(

Didn't you just say that you believe you don't trade a player when their value is at their lowest?

Winger23

May 3, 2007
It's nice to see that I have secret admirers who obsess over me and every word I have to type. It's nice to feel wanted. Unlike the Kings.

But don't be disappointed, I'll continue shutting up belligerent fans.

At least you follow the right team. Relevant 5 years ago and now not so much. :popcorn:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
At least you follow the right team. Relevant 5 years ago and now not so much. :popcorn:

Having gone through many years of irrelevancy, those years seem like the glory days compared to the current team. They're just out there collecting paychecks, and it is beyond disappointing to see what they have become.

Some of you have this mistaken idea that we want to see the team fail when it's quite the opposite. We're sick of watching them not work as hard as they used to. But again, that was so long ago, that we just have to accept that these guys are older and their desire to compete and put in that extra effort might not be as strong as it once was. The on-ice results show that.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Even if it's most likely not an anomaly? That's pretty bad.

Blake's best trade yet as a GM is Fantenberg for a 4th... literally that's his best deal. He grabs an undrafted unknown player and like MAGIC! (yes it's possible for GMs to have some magic!) he flips him for a 4th NHL DRAFT PICK! Wooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuu!!

I don't think Blake possesses the gift of persuasion

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'd love to hear how he could persuade a team to take on this current version of Jeff Carter, Dion Phaneuf, or Jonathan Quick.

He should take advice from Kurt Russell's playbook in Used Cars.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Didn't you just say that you believe you don't trade a player when their value is at their lowest?

Pearson had 1 assist in 17games or something? that's guaranteed lowest
Carter can still hit rock bottom, he's not there yet

Carter has 25pts in 55gp? making a little over $5m?
Isn't that pretty much what a 40pt player makes in a year? $5m? That's not lowest value

You probably think i meant, to sort his stats per year find the lowest point total and THAT is his lowest?

No, i mean when you have a player going from Tanner Pearson's consistent 40pts a year to pretty much 0.
At that point you try to solve the issue with time and get him going - this might take an entire season!
It might not get resolved also, and at that point you realize that he has only 2 years left on a contract and is making $3m. Not a biggy. Blake shouldn't be a hero for shedding such an easy contract!

Again, NOT COMPARING LAINE TO PEARSON.... but his drought was pretty scary... seems like the Blake fan club would have traded him asap... cause you know... 1 goal in 20 games was it? is pretty intense for a guy that should be cracking 40goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad