GDT: Trade Deadline Discussion

Who gets traded at the trade deadline?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You indirectly bring up a good point, I wonder if AEG/Luc hamstrung Blake at the deadline. Start trading guys like Clifford and Lewis, and those Cup runs are a distant memory ( I know it’s already a distant memory but look at it from AEG’s perspective.)

Clifford and Lewis are the linchpins to the Cup memories? They already traded 2 guys from one of the Cup teams. The most recent one of the two(for those fans with short term memory). Sounds more like you want him to be hamstrung by the idiots above him, more than the name recognition of Clifford and Lewis actually hamstringing him. Kopitar, Doughty, Brown and likely Quick aren't going anywhere, and they're far more associated with the winning than Clifford and Lewis.

Gaborik is and was a better buyout candidate than Phaneuf. It’s the Kings luck that Gaborik is racking up LTIR cap savings while we get to see Phaneuf rack up minuses live.

Nash retired this year and isn’t too different from Carter. McDonagh and Muzzin are a wash IMO, and two guys in the same ball park are Zuccarello and Pearson. I’d argue Hayes and Toffoli are ball park comparables.

I haven’t compared the returns, because you’re right that there are enough nuances to say that the Kings arent exactly like the Rangers.

But the larger point is that it is possible to turn over a roster like the Kings aggressively.

If Gaborik was hurt, he can't be bought out, and he's always hurt.

Nash and Carter aren't anything alike. Nash was a UFA when he didn't sign with anyone due to injury. He was gone from the Rangers, one way or another. Carter has 3 years left.

McD and Muzzin are a wash, ok, but McD was also traded with Miller, so the overall package becomes better. Muzzin was traded all by himself. Pearson was terrible this year. He's nothing like Zuccarello, who is also a UFA, whereas Pearson has another 2 years left. The Rangers and Kings aren't the same thing. Have the Rangers traded anyone with term left? Have they traded anyone with a NMC that nobody wants? They still have Shattenkirk, Staal, Lundqvist, and Smith. Next year the Kings have Toffoli, Clifford, Lewis, and Forbort as UFA's. They'll all be gone by the 2020 deadline.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Clifford and Lewis are the linchpins to the Cup memories? They already traded 2 guys from one of the Cup teams. The most recent one of the two(for those fans with short term memory). Sounds more like you want him to be hamstrung by the idiots above him, more than the name recognition of Clifford and Lewis actually hamstringing him. Kopitar, Doughty, Brown and likely Quick aren't going anywhere, and they're far more associated with the winning than Clifford and Lewis.

If Gaborik was hurt, he can't be bought out, and he's always hurt.

Nash and Carter aren't anything alike. Nash was a UFA when he didn't sign with anyone due to injury. He was gone from the Rangers, one way or another. Carter has 3 years left.

McD and Muzzin are a wash, ok, but McD was also traded with Miller, so the overall package becomes better. Muzzin was traded all by himself. Pearson was terrible this year. He's nothing like Zuccarello, who is also a UFA, whereas Pearson another 2 years left. The Rangers and Kings aren't the same thing. Have the Rangers traded anyone with term left? Have they traded anyone with a NMC that nobody wants? They still have Shattenkirk, Staal, Lundqvist, and Smith. Next year the Kings have Toffoli, Clifford, Lewis, and Forbort as UFA's. They'll all be gone by the 2020 deadline.

You make my point for me. The Kings need to accelerate the rebuild. Today’s lack of moves isn’t helping to turn over the roster at a faster rate.

If you want to argue for a retool or slower turnover I’m all ears.

Or tell me about why one guy isn’t like the other.

Reactions: AmadiosAmigos
Jun 30, 2006

Only mentioned Clifford and Lewis because they were the most likely to be traded given their contracts. I guess you can throw in Carter as well, but either way, it’s taking the Kings a long time to move on from guys associated with the Cup runs.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
We do need players to bring the youth along and Clifford and Lewis work harder on every shift than anyone else on the team.

Maybe trade one.

But Blake really screwed the pooch today . Draft picks and prospects are worth way more today than they are at the draft

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
C'mon guys at least we are in top 2 running for 1st overall pick here... and with another blowout loss to Tampa Bay here tonight, hey, there has to be at least some bright side to this season...!? :surrender

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You make my point for me. The Kings need to accelerate the rebuild. Today’s lack of moves isn’t helping to turn over the roster at a faster rate.

If you want to argue for a retool or slower turnover I’m all ears.

Or tell me about why one guy isn’t like the other.

If the Kings had more UFA's, they could turn things over quicker. They previously tried to get around the cap with term, and now they don't have enough UFA's to turn the roster over quickly. My point is that there's only so much you can do. Every GM wants the same thing today. Before the cap, you had a larger gap between the big markets, small markets, big spenders, cheapskates. Before the cap, they could've traded Carter, Phaneuf, Quick, Kopitar, Doughty, Brown. Detroit, Toronto, Philly, they would've bought them all.

Only mentioned Clifford and Lewis because they were the most likely to be traded given their contracts. I guess you can throw in Carter as well, but either way, it’s taking the Kings a long time to move on from guys associated with the Cup runs.

Because they gave them all contracts. Most of them anyway. Carter came with one. Does anyone need Lewis with a year left? He doesn't do anything that's worth that investment. If he's here after next season, they will have made a mistake, but he should be a no doubt deadline acquisition next Feb. Same with Clifford. It's going to take time to get out of the core contracts though. DL thought he could beat the system. Better get Quick signed before the next CBA limits contract length! What have they gotten for it? 1 year, where they had to come back from down 0-3 in the 1st round before going on a ridiculous run.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Better get Quick signed before the next CBA limits contract length! What have they gotten for it? 1 year, where they had to come back from down 0-3 in the 1st round before going on a ridiculous run.

What did they get? A f***ing Stanley Cup... I hate how hard some try to diminish 2014 just to prove themselves smarter than everyone else. The goal is to win a f***ing Stanley Cup and the Kings f***ing accomplished it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
What did they get? A ****ing Stanley Cup... I hate how hard some try to diminish 2014 just to prove themselves smarter than everyone else. The goal is to win a ****ing Stanley Cup and the Kings ****ing accomplished it.

I tend to agree, especially with Quick, who has definitely not been a big problem.

And most of the Kings problems happened because of moves post-Cups, not pre-Cups.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sports? The Patriots say hello.

Hockey? Doesn't happen often but that is kind of the point. Why go down with the ship every time if it generally doesn't work? The main thing is that it ignores what became of the Kings after 2014 and how much different the team was in 2017 v. '14.

As for moving Muzzin, he didn't have to trade him. Guy was playing the best hockey on the team. Could have moved Martinez for less of a return or just held pat and decided that this season was the fluke as opposed to last year.
Yes to this. If other GMs in the NHL are not doing it, it makes it that much easier for the guy blazing the trail.
Blake's best trade yet as a GM is Fantenberg for a 4th... literally that's his best deal. He grabs an undrafted unknown player and like MAGIC! (yes it's possible for GMs to have some magic!) he flips him for a 4th NHL DRAFT PICK! Wooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuu!!

I don't think Blake possesses the gift of persuasion
Nah, Blake did the right thing in moving Muzzin. Muzzin is an unrestricted free agent after next season. He shouldn't have been in the Kings long range plans, and Blake received a good return.

That being said, the Muzzin deal was not rocket surgery for Blake. That trade was NHL GM 101.

In terms of the return, the Muzzin deal is hos best move this far.

Last edited:

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
What did they get? A ****ing Stanley Cup... I hate how hard some try to diminish 2014 just to prove themselves smarter than everyone else. The goal is to win a ****ing Stanley Cup and the Kings ****ing accomplished it.

If you haven’t figured out KF7824’s devil’s advocate approach here yet, I don’t know what to tell you...

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
not to pile on ziggy but I see this as well. a lot more turd thrown by him these past couple of years... is it the team? is it more personal? is it this president in office? who knows.. :D

It’s my fault for responding to incorrigible fans. I shouldn’t even bother with them. I guess pointing out this team’s faults while also remaining fair and critical is now thought of as highly offensive and bothersome material for some of you thin skinned, sensitive types.

How about we focus on discussing hockey and the current and future state of the team? How is that for productive discussion? I admire all the attention I’m getting, but I’d rather talk hockey.

Or is pointing out the faults with this team make me cynical? Funny thing is, I’ve also come to the team’s defense when it comes to moving forward and have hopes things will get better with what’s to come, but even that seems to bother some posters around here.

enough with the Zig bashing :laugh:

we love you man

Blake still sucks tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes