GDT: Trade Deadline Discussion

Who gets traded at the trade deadline?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Well, got nothing much now but hopefully something at the draft.

Via LAKI - Doesn't sound like Doughty or Kopitar have a clue as to why this season is a disaster. I flip flop on those two regarding trading them. Maybe now (in general) is the time to truly blow this thing up. Seriously, these guys have been a huge disappointment.

Why waste time flip flopping? They both have full control at least through next season, and then Kopitar can pick 7 teams to go to. They're not going anywhere unless they choose to leave. It's like death, you just accept it as a thing at some point. Any potential future rosters you want to think about, assume both of them are on it.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think Blake did a fantastic job on getting out from under Pearson immediately. Pearson will likely be playing in Europe after his current contract expires. He was a promising player four years ago, and he regressed.

The Muzzin return was fantastic.

Like Herby, I'm willing to sit tight with Blake until I see the opening roster in October 2019. Carter, Phaneuf, Quick, and Kovalchuk are our most obviously glaring tumors in regards to salary/cap structure. Blake has his hands full with those four, two of which are his direct fault.

Best we can hope for at this point in the season is a top two draft pick. Still lots of wreckage to sort through in getting this team back on the right track.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Disappointed more moves weren't made, but if the returns aren't worth it, you move on.

I just don't want Blake doing a 180 and thinking they can make the team a cup contender with the current core.

The voice of reason. The only likely destination for Kovy was the Island, but Lou wanted to stand pat. Let's see what happens when they make a first round exit due to a lack of scoring and veteran leadership. Carter probably has more value to the Kings than any garbage they were being offered. He has the summer to rebuild his value next season when the contract does not look quite so bad. If he's done, you can bury him in Ontario. Ditto Phaneuf who ate least provides a physical presence and can mentor some of our young d-men. the fact that Fantenberg was traded tells me Blake is a) writing off the rest of the season b) creating additional minutes for Roy/Walker/LaDue/MacDermid/Clague/Brickley. Trading Muzzin was the sign Blake does not think this core can win. Today proves he is not going to make a bad deal just 'to do something' to satisfy impatient fans. His true test will be at the draft here I would expect him to move Kovy and creatively shed at least one other of our shitty contracts.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
As far as Tanner Pearson, just add him to the trash pile that has been the Kings for the past 5 years. The list goes on and on and on of guys who played regularly here and then went elsewhere and either struggled to stay in the lineup or in some cases struggle to stay in the league.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
As far as Tanner Pearson, just add him to the trash pile that has been the Kings for the past 5 years. The list goes on and on and on of guys who played regularly here and then went elsewhere and either struggle to stay in the lineup or in some cases struggle to stay in the league.

I wonder if certain fans are still upset about him being moved.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
As far as Tanner Pearson, just add him to the trash pile that has been the Kings for the past 5 years. The list goes on and on and on of guys who played regularly here and then went elsewhere and either struggled to stay in the lineup or in some cases struggle to stay in the league.
And people here are surprised that RB didn’t make more trades? Gotta have two people to make a trade.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Wait until he actually does something wrong at the very least, trading Muzzin then say trading Clague for Brassard....ok...then you have reason to ***** and moan...but to ***** and moan because he didn't move Carter Kovy, Quick, Lewis, ALL who have term, is just absolute idiotic nonsense,

It's ok to be disappointed, I REALLY thought Kovy was gonna go to the NYI, never in a million years did I think they would stand pat, yea, that sucked, but suck it up buttercup, it's a helluva lot better than trading Lewis for a 6th just to say he look, I made a trade

Oh boy.

Reactions: KINGS17

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Any chance the new head coach makes Brown captain again? Not that he didn't have help, but he's led this team when it was in the dumpster before, and I have much more faith in his leading by example than I have ever had with Kopitar.
I don’t think Kopitar was ever happy with being the Captain, especially with the way DS treated Brownie....
I’d let Brown wear the C again and give Kopi back his A

Reactions: Kingspiracy

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm not upset at Blake. He was dealt a **** hand and did what he could and he sold off all the ufas. I'm more upset at the players with their ****ty play than anything else.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Nobody wanted the garbage being peddled by the Kings and Oilers.
I love how this team as a whole is having a horrific year and so they are all garbage players... won’t you just shut TF up and realize that this is the reality of risking everything for Playoff glory... and we did it TWICE!!

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Why waste time flip flopping? They both have full control at least through next season, and then Kopitar can pick 7 teams to go to. They're not going anywhere unless they choose to leave. It's like death, you just accept it as a thing at some point. Any potential future rosters you want to think about, assume both of them are on it.
Yeah, I know but still down the road anything can happen. If they can get their heads straight and their hearts pumping again, maybe, they're worth holding on to.

Jun 30, 2006
So Blake got rid of all the UFAs? Hags, Thompson, Fantenberg. Am I missing somebody?

Returns were:
2019 3rd + (2020 conditional 6th)
2019 4th
2020 4th(conditional 3rd)

Hoping we can get better picks for more "productive" players this summer\next TDL.

What about the Muzzin trade?

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
No deal is better than a bad deal.

I´m not as hopeful that things will be different at the draft. This time of year picks get thrown around like candy but at the draft teams want to hold on to them. With the poor season Carter and Quick are having I have a hard time picturing some team gambling on them bouncing back with that much term left. Kovalchuk isn´t getting any younger either. I wouldn´t be surprised to see them all right here next season as well.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm not upset with Blake's handling of the TDL at all. That being said:

-Stop acting like he was dealt every shitty card in his hand.

-Stop acting like cards that are now shitty haven't become shitty while he's been holding them.

Big off-season for Blake. Did virtually nothing in his first one and blew it last year. I do think he knows the ride is over so I'm hopeful he can move some old contracts.

member 88115

I’m happy Blake did the right thing on going on some type of rebuild. It seems offseasons moves are very likely, so hopefully some more vets can go.

But I’m still trying to figure out what type of system LA wants to play and how is LA going to groom it’s young players to fit that mold.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I’m happy Blake did the right thing on going on some type of rebuild. It seems offseasons moves are very likely, so hopefully some more vets can go.

But I’m still trying to figure out what type of system LA wants to play and how is LA going to groom it’s young players to fit that mold.

He likely won't find that out until a new coach is in place and instills his own system and philosophy. Whoever it ends up being needs to light a fire under this team's ass.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Been saying it all season, Kopitar's contract is only going to look worse going forward. Yeah, I know. He bounced back after a disappointing season 2 years ago. He was also 2 years younger and didn't have a fat guaranteed contract. 1 vote of no confidence in the "C"
Now, the GM will have to get creative in dealing with this sun spot. Can he convince the sun spot in relocating to a new "better" team, Cough NYI, cough, Or are we burdened with a growing sun spot that may be quite cancerous going forward? BLuc needs to seriously put some thought into this matter.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
I'm not upset with Blake's handling of the TDL at all. That being said:

-Stop acting like he was dealt every ****ty card in his hand.

-Stop acting like cards that are now ****ty haven't become ****ty while he's been holding them.

Big off-season for Blake. Did virtually nothing in his first one and blew it last year. I do think he knows the ride is over so I'm hopeful he can move some old contracts.

Exactly. Patience is a virtue when things are falling apart, and the temptation to 'do something' is enormous. Now, we know who we are, the second worst team in the NHL. That is no longer in doubt. At the same time, this is now RB and Luc's hand. there is no one else to lay the blame on. With a full cupboard of prospects and picks, the key now is to get rid of some bad contracts. This will require real skill. And, the time for patience is wearing thin as our emerging core will need to be augmented. Some luck will be required, but there is no place left to hide, Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad