Who gets traded at the trade deadline?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I call BS on the whole let the kids play and they want competitive hockey players.

No doubt Kopitar and Brown will play 20+ of uninspired play, 3+ minutes of PP time
Carter and TT will play 17-20+ minutes of a poop show.
Forbort will play over 22 minutes and look like some dude they picked out of the stands.
Wagner will play 8 minutes, have 3 shots, 3 hits, a take-away, a break-away, zero PP time.

Same as it ever was

Yeah, we'll see if they put their money where their mouth is. Last time we heard "Willie D rolls 4 lines" and "play the kids" Kopitar got 25 minutes and Doughty 32 while being the large part of the problem on-ice. It's either ignorant--they can't see it--or genius--they see it and like us tanking while embarrassing the vets. And I don't think Blake and Willie D are playing 4-d chess so I think it's the former.

Good return on Fanta for a UFA, but it figures it's after we develop him and he starts looking like an NHLer that we bail on him :laugh:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
2015: No Playoffs
2016: Lost in First Round, 4-1 against the Sharks
2017: No Playoffs
2018: Lost in First Round, 4-0 against the Golden Knights
2019: No Playoffs

That's a steady pattern of consistency. I say we should all expect big changes this summer.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He likely won't find that out until a new coach is in place and instills his own system and philosophy. Whoever it ends up being needs to light a fire under this team's ass.

That I think, more than ANYTHING, will make or break Blake's tenure.....

He has to be smart about it, can't go and hire a coach that wants heavy boardplay and stiff structure, when he has a team that is speedy and skilled (not that they are) I think he has to have an idea of what his team is NOW, what it will be after the draft, and hire based on that, I don't think you will see a new coach until halfway through July, after the moves are made, and Blake knows what he has as a team etc.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
As far as Tanner Pearson, just add him to the trash pile that has been the Kings for the past 5 years. The list goes on and on and on of guys who played regularly here and then went elsewhere and either struggled to stay in the lineup or in some cases struggle to stay in the league.
Daryl Sutter really did get the best out of some of these players. I am beginning to think in spite of some of them.

It will be interesting to see what type of coach Blake brings in next. I am guessing it will be someone considered as "player friendly".

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Thanks for reminding me of what they did half a decade ago, dumbass homer. You do realize this isn't the same team as that one, right? Get your head out of your ass and take note of how many playoff games they've won since then.
I used to enjoy your posts, now you're just childish. Everyone knew these days were coming, you act as if only a handful of people saw this disaster coming.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, we'll see if they put their money where their mouth is. Last time we heard "Willie D rolls 4 lines" and "play the kids" Kopitar got 25 minutes and Doughty 32 while being the large part of the problem on-ice. It's either ignorant--they can't see it--or genius--they see it and like us tanking while embarrassing the vets. And I don't think Blake and Willie D are playing 4-d chess so I think it's the former.

Good return on Fanta for a UFA, but it figures it's after we develop him and he starts looking like an NHLer that we bail on him :laugh:

Just to piss you off, I'm calling OT game, with Kopitar nabbing 40 minutes because Carter got hurt, and Doughty getting 45 because well hell, he's the only veteran D left standing......and that will lead to a Raccoon meltdown!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
2015: No Playoffs
2016: Lost in First Round, 4-1 against the Sharks
2017: No Playoffs
2018: Lost in First Round, 4-0 against the Golden Knights
2019: No Playoffs

That's a steady pattern of consistency. I say we should all expect big changes this summer.
Well, they only lost to the 2018 Western Conference champions by a smidge.

You can't judge them on the last five years.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Daryl Sutter really did get the best out of some of these players. I am beginning to think in spite of some of them.

It will be interesting to see what type of coach Blake brings in next. I am guessing it will be someone considered as "player friendly".

It may very well be that, but I think it would be a huge mistake to say I want "this type" of coach....etc, he has to be literally a clean slate with no preconceived ideas about coaches, and go with the one that has the best vision for the team he is icing.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I used to enjoy your posts, now you're just childish. Everyone knew these days were coming, you act as if only a handful of people saw this disaster coming.

Where did I make that claim? I stated nobody wanted the crap that this team had to offer. Did I offend you like that homer who was clearly bothered by that statement? And if I'm being attacked I'll hit back.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I was upset at the return of Hagelin, and I was upset neither Toffoli nor Pearson were traded after getting swept last year.

That being said, I still feel like I have egg on my face, because I would have kept Pearson over Toffoli.

I'd say today's trade involving Pearson is a good demonstration of how damaged and diminished the value is on Kings' players.

On top of that, they still need to ice a roster of players and there probably isn't enough bodies to go around between a last place team in the NHL and AHL.

FYI, the Ontario Reign have the worst record in the AHL. Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

If the thoughts/reports about Sturm are true, he's 'player friendly' to a degree, but I'm intrigued by his xs-and-os, and if he's not going to be a Tortorella/Mike Keenan ass kicker, I'd at least like him to be an innovator, and Sturm appears to be that. Crossing my fingers, but low expectations for the vets, unfortunately.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Another mediocre performance turned in by slack jawed yokel GM Rob Blake today. The chief hack kicked the can down the road once again, and has yet to prove he has any plan in mind to improve this franchise.

So far, his history as GM ranks below Taylor, McMaster and Beverly when it comes to results. It’s going to be past put up or shut up time by the end of July 2019.
I still liked this post even though I don't agree with it 100%, okay not even 50%.

Rob Blake says, "NO DEAL!!"

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'd say today's trade involving Pearson is a good demonstration of how damaged and diminished the value is on Kings' players.

On top of that, they still need to ice a roster of players and there probably isn't enough bodies to go around between a last place team in the NHL and AHL.

FYI, the Ontario Reign have the worst record in the AHL. Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I don't want to derail the thread, but (to me) this stems back to the development system. When you have one of the worst NHL AND AHL teams, there's a lot wrong with the organization.

I still believe good picks have been made in the past several years. To me, the bridge between picks and playing pro is the development/coaching.

Blake really has his hands full. Some of it is certainly his fault, but some of it started before he took over.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Exactly. Patience is a virtue when things are falling apart, and the temptation to 'do something' is enormous. Now, we know who we are, the second worst team in the NHL. That is no longer in doubt. At the same time, this is now RB and Luc's hand. there is no one else to lay the blame on. With a full cupboard of prospects and picks, the key now is to get rid of some bad contracts. This will require real skill. And, the time for patience is wearing thin as our emerging core will need to be augmented. Some luck will be required, but there is no place left to hide, Rob.

He took the easy path of doing nothing at the NHL level (except Iafallo which was a good signing) while just keeping draft picks. They put up an extremely surprising season last year so he did the easy thing again: believe everything is great and just add scoring.

The hard thing to do would be to break up the family. Lombardi appeared to not be able to do it but Blake followed right along. This inaction on his part has led to depreciated assets and then his signature move to this point was to add 35+ year old dollars and term.

Pretty sure he realizes the situation now and I like everything so far since the realization, which I say starts with the Muzzin trade. He's got a lot of work to do and it is going to be interesting to see what he does. Will be huge for him if the ping pong balls bounce the Kings way and Vilardi heals up.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He took the easy path of doing nothing at the NHL level (except Iafallo which was a good signing) while just keeping draft picks. They put up an extremely surprising season last year so he did the easy thing again: believe everything is great and just add scoring.

The hard thing to do would be to break up the family. Lombardi appeared to not be able to do it but Blake followed right along. This inaction on his part has led to depreciated assets and then his signature move to this point was to add 35+ year old dollars and term.

Pretty sure he realizes the situation now and I like everything so far since the realization, which I say starts with the Muzzin trade. He's got a lot of work to do and it is going to be interesting to see what he does. Will be huge for him if the ping pong balls bounce the Kings way and Vilardi heals up.

Please show me where in pro sports, a team has EVER sold the farm, 3 years after winning the championship in that sport? BESIDES Miami Marlins and that all due to cash.....

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I'm not upset with Blake's handling of the TDL at all. That being said:

-Stop acting like he was dealt every ****ty card in his hand.

-Stop acting like cards that are now ****ty haven't become ****ty while he's been holding them.

Big off-season for Blake. Did virtually nothing in his first one and blew it last year. I do think he knows the ride is over so I'm hopeful he can move some old contracts.

It was pretty tough man, I've been following hockey for awhile (like most here). I truly think you have to go back to Mike Milbury with the Isles at the turn of the century to see a team that was as poorly managed as the Kings were for those three seasons before Blake took over. And I think most teams probably realize it, and it's why a 2 time winning GM can't get a job. This organization was (still is) a disaster.

That being said, Blake has not helped the problems but he inherited a disaster situation. An aging team with a bunch of terrible contracts and a terrible farm system.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Please show me where in pro sports, a team has EVER sold the farm, 3 years after winning the championship in that sport? BESIDES Miami Marlins and that all due to cash.....

There is a large gap between doing nothing and selling the farm.

He played it safe, putting him in a deeper hole than he needs to be in right now. I like how he has gone about trying to dig himself out of it: this off-season will be fascinating.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
There is a large gap between doing nothing and selling the farm.

He played it safe, putting him in a deeper hole than he needs to be in right now. I like how he has gone about trying to dig himself out of it: this off-season will be fascinating.

Yes there is...but literally, you said breaking up the family, that's Carter, Quick, Muzzin, Martinez, Brown, etc maybe Kopitar, Doughty?

That's pulling the chute on a championship team, 3 years later,......show me where it has been done before....

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I don't want to derail the thread, but (to me) this stems back to the development system. When you have one of the worst NHL AND AHL teams, there's a lot wrong with the organization.

I still believe good picks have been made in the past several years. To me, the bridge between picks and playing pro is the development/coaching.

Blake really has his hands full. Some of it is certainly his fault, but some of it started before he took over.

Well both the NHL and the AHL teams won championships just a couple seasons ago. Teams go in cycles, that is just the way it is. Rarely are teams on top of the pile for prolonged periods of time.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Yes there is...but literally, you said breaking up the family, that's Carter, Quick, Muzzin, Martinez, Brown, etc maybe Kopitar, Doughty?

That's pulling the chute on a championship team, 3 years later,......show me where it has been done before....

That means anyone significant that was here in 2014 and you don't have to move all of them to "break them up".

He's moved Pearson and Muzzin. Looks prepared to do more. This is good. It is a bummer though that he got around to it later than he should have since he could have saved himself the Kovy deal.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That means anyone significant that was here in 2014 and you don't have to move all of them to "break them up".

He's moved Pearson and Muzzin. Looks prepared to do more. This is good. It is a bummer though that he got around to it later than he should have since he could have saved himself the Kovy deal.

Again, and that is what I am asking for, show me where that has been done, by choice.....from any team, it's simply not done by choice, in pro sports.

You think moving Muzzin was a choice? The play of the team dictated that....

Reactions: crassbonanza

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Disappointed more moves weren't made, but if the returns aren't worth it, you move on.

I just don't want Blake doing a 180 and thinking they can make the team a cup contender with the current core.

Absolutely disappointed as well. I didn't care much about getting returns for players with bad contracts, I wanted contracts gone and spots opening up on the roster.

Sad that the most excited I’ve been all season is MacDermid getting a call up haha... love me some MacD though...

Same, hopefully he can decapitate a few players.

Any chance the new head coach makes Brown captain again? Not that he didn't have help, but he's led this team when it was in the dumpster before, and I have much more faith in his leading by example than I have ever had with Kopitar.

Kopitar is a joke of a captain. Always has been.

el oh ****ing el "we're playing the kids"

Pathetic.

This team is a god damn joke.

I'm f***ing mad that Fantenberg gets trade but Forbort, Quick, Martinez, and Carter are still Kings.

It's not about "winning the trade" it's about getting rid of those players and their contracts.

The lack of news about them being available also made it clear that they weren't shopping much.

The players who were rumored to be getting traded today were traded for the most part.

So that irks me as well. One could make a case that the Kings weren't shopping those players heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad