Who gets traded at the trade deadline?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'll leave it up to the mods to determine whether or not to keep the current trade discussion topic open, but I just wanted to get a thread going on trade deadline deals. We've experienced both extremes of trade deadline deals that worked out remarkably well (Carter, Gaborik) to ones that didn't work out so well (Sekera, Versteeg, Bishop).

I gathered up some trade analysis highlights from each of the big trade deadline moves the Kings have made since 2011, and hopefully by tomorrow a few more will be added to this topic.

The Deadline | 2014 Stanley Cup Moments: Episode 2
Black & White Season 1 Ep. 12 - The Trade Deadline
Friedman breaks down Bishop trade
Kings surprise with trade of goaltender Kuemper to Coyotes

This is the first time in a very long while where the Kings have finally become sellers at the trade deadline.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Said it before but here’s my guess on possible moves:

Lewis 50%
- Cheap playoff add

Kovy 25%
-Maybe with retention

Carter 25%
-Bargin bin with retention

Amart 10%
Solid dman that teams might want but Kings can’t play four rookies on the back end next year, can they?

Quick 1%
-Carolina is probably the only hope at this point.

Fantenberg ???
-Kempny 2.0

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Said it before but here’s my guess on possible moves:

Lewis 50%
- Cheap playoff add

Kovy 25%
-Maybe with retention

Carter 25%
-Bargin bin with retention

Amart 10%
Solid dman that teams might want but Kings can’t play four rookies on the back end next year, can they?

Quick 1%
-Carolina is probably the only hope at this point.

Fantenberg ???
-Kempny 2.0

If they gut the roster (Quick, Carter, Martinez, Kovalchuk, Lewis etc) between now and June, they'll have to sign a veteran or two just to reach the floor.

Reactions: LAKings88

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Many various news sources, from McKenzie, LeBrun, Friedman, etc., sense that the Kings' biggest moves will come in the off-season.

Lewis and Fantenberg might be two players who will get attention, but the bigger contracts might be tougher to move at this time.

That said, you have to wonder if the teams who missed out on Duchene, Zuccarello, Dzingel, will be looking at their Plan B options in Kovalchuk or Carter.

Names like Stone and Simmonds are still out there as well, but they'll cost a lot more as rentals. Nashville and the Islanders are two teams who will be looking to add more fire power.

The Blues and Flames are also said to be looking for more reinforcements for a playoff push, so this deadline is definitely shaping up as a seller's market.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Big names still out there that I think rate above any Kings players rumored to be available.

Simmonds PHI
Hayes NYR
Nyquist DET
Hoffman FLA
Staal maybe MIN

Reactions: LAKings88

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I don’t understand why people want to trade Fantenburg. He is a cheap option and has shown he can play 10-15minutes. Obviously, if we got a mind blowing offer for him (which we won’t) that’s a different story. But realistically you are looking at a 4th round pick, which is not worth losing Fanta over.

I am game to trade Carter, Lewis and Clifford.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don’t understand why people want to trade Fantenburg. He is a cheap option and has shown he can play 10-15minutes. Obviously, if we got a mind blowing offer for him (which we won’t) that’s a different story. But realistically you are looking at a 4th round pick, which is not worth losing Fanta over.

He'll be a UFA this summer, so the Kings risk losing him for nothing. He also may be an attractive player to playoff contending teams, so they may get a few interested parties calling for him.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

Not saying they should but teams may have interest. Dude is also a UFA. He may want to go elsewhere, never know.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'll leave it up to the mods to determine whether or not to keep the current trade discussion topic open, but I just wanted to get a thread going on trade deadline deals. We've experienced both extremes of trade deadline deals that worked out remarkably well (Carter, Gaborik) to ones that didn't work out so well (Sekera, Versteeg, Bishop).

I gathered up some trade analysis highlights from each of the big trade deadline moves the Kings have made since 2011, and hopefully by tomorrow a few more will be added to this topic.

This is the first time in a very long while where the Kings have finally become sellers at the trade deadline.

Not a bad idea. I just edited the prefix to make it a Trade Deadline "GDT" for the immediate happenings rather than the long term discussions that happen in the roster thread.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Woke up expecting shit to be crazy, not necessarily with the kings... but nothing...slow morning, what gives...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The big trades are already done I think.

There's still a few names likely to be moved, like Wayne Simmonds, possibly Mark Stone. I can't imagine Poile or Lamoriello not adding to their teams.

But given the flurry of transactions in the past few weeks leading up to the deadline, there is a good potential for it to be a dull deadline show come Monday.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Not a bad idea. I just edited the prefix to make it a Trade Deadline "GDT" for the immediate happenings rather than the long term discussions that happen in the roster thread.

Added a poll for funsies :)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Looks like every forward is accounted for at practice (with Amadio sitting this one out).

The Kings play Tampa Bay tomorrow after the trade deadline. And there are rumblings about Rasmus Ristolainen possibly being headed to Tampa Bay. Either way, expect a bloodbath in tomorrow's game.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Lombardi was very good at the deadline, both as a buyer and a seller. He seemed to know the market well and was able to find guys who contributed and fit in well.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I think we will see a surprise trade involving either Carter or Kovy tomorrow morning. Teams like the Islanders, Bruins and other contenders need to load up to compete. Also, other than Simmonds and Stone, not too many options left. Moreover, those players are expensive. Carter and Kovy, not so much.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
I think Carter and Lewis have the highest chances of getting moved. I could definitely see Kovalchuk fitting in with the Islanders if we retain on his contract, plus there is the Lou connection. Fantenberg's value might be at its highest right now so if we get a solid offer he should get moved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->