GDT: Trade Deadline Day

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I'm glad we didn't make a trade for tradesake. Would've been nice to move some FAs, like Monahan, but maybe we sign him to a 1 year deal. I don't think he gets more than a one year deal.

We already got paid for Monahan. And the "nice" part is he managed to play 25 something decent games before his body fell apart, which is probably 10 more games than what I had anticipated.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Well that deadline was a complete letdown with only Dadonov being dealt. I'm happy with Gurianov's acquisition though but there are still a major cleanup needed here.

INCOMING
Sean Farrell - hopefully joins Montreal for a few games before the end of this year
Hutson, Kidney, Mesar, Roy, Luke Tuch and Mailloux - joining Laval next year
Dobes and Dichow - we need to see what we have here, both joining Laval next year?
2023 1st round pick - let's hope for a top-5 pick

UFAS
Drouin - gone
Monahan - well might as well re-sign him if healthy, and trade him next deadline (1 year, $3M)

RFAS
Caufield - 8 years, $7.2M per year
Gurianov - 2 years, $2.0M per year
Ylonen, Pezzetta and RHP - 1 year, minimum salary, 1-way

BUYOUTS
Hoffman

TRADED
Edmundson, Armia, Wideman, Pitlick
(perhaps Allen, Anderson, Dvorak, Evans, Kovacevic)

WHAT'S LEFT?
Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Gurianov-Dach-Anderson
Monahan-Dvorak-Ylonen
RHP-Evans-Gallagher
Pezz

Matheson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Xhekaj-Harris
Kovacevic

Allen-Monty-Primeau

Reactions: Redux91

catmanhabsfan

Jan 4, 2006
Chicago will win a cup again way before us. Arizona is Arizona. They can't afford keep players past 3 years.

I like the logo but dislike the owners and most of the management. I have the right you know? So why don't you go create some thread where all you culture kids hang out and can discuss how everything is rainbow and sunshine like it has been the past 30 years.

The more I look at it objectively, the more I see this management not any better or worse than previous. But wait according to you nobody can critique this team. We just don't have that right.

1. The Allen signing was terrible and should have been dealt when value was high.
2. Should have drafted Cooley.
3. Did not sell off enough players in their real first year as management knowing what was at stake
4. Could not find basically 1 trade partner at deadline.
5. Played Monhanan when injured and he re-injured himself. Terrible assest management.
List goes on and go...

Also, are you sure you are not the GM's son or anti-tank police? Sure seems that way when anyone has different view from your unicorns, rainbows, and sunshine mind.
With no due respect I don't think you know how trades and being a GM and ..well lots of other stuff, works lol it's been 1 year 😅 sunshine minds and unicorns 🦄 😅

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Dvorak? I mean, the Avs just bought 36 years old Eller for a 2nd.
Yes, as a RENTAL. it's the exact same reason why we could trade Dadonov at 5M but not Hoffman who's a better player at a 4.5M cap hit.
Teams were in on Kevin Hayes until the last minute.
And then he didn't move. Sounds like it's difficult to move middle of the lineup players with term at the deadline!
It was a sellers market, there was an arms race, Hughes shouldve been able to capitalize on this, make the west smell the blood in the water. Instead he overplayed his hand and now were stuck with assets that are leaking value all over the place.
The assets that were available off our roster at this deadline do not have value to "leak". Anderson and Dvorak have intrinsic value as NHL assets but the term makes them unmoveable at the deadline. Drouin was worthless, and Savard and Armia are worthless today and will be worthless a year from now. Hoffman and Edmundson had extremely low values today, but plausibly could be easier to trade and thus have more market value next year as rentals. There was no hand to overplay in the first place once Edmundson and Monahan got hurt.
Its the same as when Bergevin decide he wouldnt move Gallagher, Petry, Armia, etc before the cup run, except Carey Price isnt here to give us a surprise cup run, so it may be even worse.
You can not be serious. These are not even remotely comparable situations, especially when a year ago they sold Chiarot, Lehkonen, Toffoli, and Kulak. The best player that was remotely in play from our roster today was Josh f***ing Anderson, and if you believe he had value today then he'll only appreciate in value in the offseason unless he has a catastrophic injury.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Dvorak? I mean, the Avs just bought 36 years old Eller for a 2nd. Teams were in on Kevin Hayes until the last minute.

It was a sellers market, there was an arms race, Hughes shouldve been able to capitalize on this, make the west smell the blood in the water. Instead he overplayed his hand and now were stuck with assets that are leaking value all over the place. Its the same as when Bergevin decide he wouldnt move Gallagher, Petry, Armia, etc before the cup run, except Carey Price isnt here to give us a surprise cup run, so it may be even worse.

Can't tell if this is serious or not. The prices I saw were that of a buyers market. Chychrun went for a lot less than anyone could expect. Eller was a UFA. Kevin Hayes wasn't traded. Gallagher, Petry and Armia were actually good and valuable (i.e. on expiring deals) at that time. How did you manage to equate both situations ?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Well that deadline was a complete letdown with only Dadonov being dealt. I'm happy with Gurianov's acquisition though but there are still a major cleanup needed here.

INCOMING
Sean Farrell - hopefully joins Montreal for a few games before the end of this year
Dobes and Dichow - we need to see what we have here, both joining Laval next year?

UFAS
Drouin - gone
Monahan - well might as well re-sign him if healthy, and trade him next deadline (1 year, $3M)

RFAS

BUYOUTS
Hoffman

TRADED

WHAT'S LEFT?
Gurianov-Dach-Anderson
Monahan-Dvorak-Ylonen
RHP-Evans-Gallagher
Pezz

Matheson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Xhekaj-Harris
Kovacevic

Allen-Monty-Primeau
Sounds like what's left will result in another top 10 pick.

• Wow
Reactions: Runner77

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
Honestly, I did not expect much from this trade deadline, so I'm not disappointed. There were a lot of factors that impacted the Habs ability to trade their assets and it was unrealistic to expect big returns for injured players. It is what it is...

Hopefully they can get a top 5 draft pick this year. That would be a bigger reward than anything that could have potentially happened today.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was, we got Gurianov and still have a shot at dealing away pending UFA’s with value next TDL
There were 3 assets on expiring contracts.

Hughes converted Dadonov to an interesting upside player.

Monahan was unfortunately injured.

And the third, Drouin, was untradeable.

There will be another shot to move some others who will be on expiring contracts next year. Also, Hughes appears open to signing Monahan, so there might yet be another opportunity to flip him.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Depends on how we allocate our available cap (plus possible buy outs) but yeah, next season doesn’t look pretty. I’m guessing between 10th/14th pick.
If we are healthy and if we acquire PLD in the summer, i think it is not out of the question we are in a wildcard spot in the playoffs next season.

Reactions: Gustave

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

INCOMING

UFAS
Drouin - gone

RFAS

BUYOUTS
Hoffman

TRADED

WHAT'S LEFT?
Gurianov-Dach-Anderson
Monahan-Dvorak-Ylonen
RHP-Evans-Gallagher
Pezz

Matheson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Xhekaj-Harris
Kovacevic

Allen-Monty-Primeau
No point buying out Hoffman. He only has next year left on his contract.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Chicago will win a cup again way before us. Arizona is Arizona. They can't afford keep players past 3 years.

I like the logo but dislike the owners and most of the management. I have the right you know? So why don't you go create some thread where all you culture kids hang out and can discuss how everything is rainbow and sunshine like it has been the past 30 years.

The more I look at it objectively, the more I see this management not any better or worse than previous. But wait according to you nobody can critique this team. We just don't have that right.

1. The Allen signing was terrible and should have been dealt when value was high.
2. Should have drafted Cooley.
3. Did not sell off enough players in their real first year as management knowing what was at stake
4. Could not find basically 1 trade partner at deadline.
5. Played Monhanan when injured and he re-injured himself. Terrible assest management.
List goes on and go...

Also, are you sure you are not the GM's son or anti-tank police? Sure seems that way when anyone has different view from your unicorns, rainbows, and sunshine mind.
TN: Pure entitlement. Anyone who disagrees gets an insult. Ignore.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I think that the Habs, with their massive revenues, should actually promote research on injury prevention, based on musculoskeletal simulation and other technologies. NFL promotes research on concussion prevention, at least to a degree. NHL will never take the lead on this, but the Habs could. With a few million, they could recreate injury scenarios in 3D, then redo these with different parameters, such as a switch of equipment, or advanced board materials, or prevention based on specific training with physiotherapists that recognize each player's vulnerability. Take the lead in this area rather than submit to the whims of the game.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia

INCOMING

UFAS
Drouin - gone

RFAS

BUYOUTS
Hoffman

TRADED

WHAT'S LEFT?
Gurianov-Dach-Anderson
Monahan-Dvorak-Ylonen
RHP-Evans-Gallagher
Pezz

Matheson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Xhekaj-Harris
Kovacevic

Allen-Monty-Primeau

Hutson will go back to NCAA. He still needs another year to get stronger.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Oh did they…and which prospects are those….who are these can’t miss prospects that are being held back for the purpose of a tank??
Chicago has a clear tank strategy and if you can’t see that, there is no point in having a discussion.

Just a quick FYI, Chicago has top prospects at all positions (C,D and wings). They also drafted 8 times in the first 3 rounds at the 2022 draft.

First prospect in line, and the most very very very obvious, is Reichel.

He had a great camp and should have made the team right off of camp based on his good play and room. Started in the AHL and was dominant from the start. They called him up and he played really well (too well) then sent him down. He was clearly ready both times. He has huge potential and the only reason to keep him out of the NHL is the same reason they traded Dach…

Without following Chicago too much, you should know how Reichel has played and that he is NHL ready.

Just this one guy should enough to see the tendency (added with the trades and the very apparent direction of the team) You don’t need to look deeper but I’ll give you another name that comes to mind anyway.

Less obvious, so I will give you a pass on him, but you can easily make a huge argument for is Korchinski (he reads the play at very high speed) his balance was once a concern but he has grown that out and it has become a strength. He could have been offered a contract and could play in the NHL if Chi wanted to try to win more games.

Since your previous messages give the impression of not really caring about facts and ideas, I will leave it at that for now. If ever I see that you do post with more though, I will add to the discussion.

Cheers,

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I am disappointed we haven’t trade Edmundson.

He’s still a good defender , and he will absolutely harm our tank for 2023.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think that the Habs, with their massive revenues, should actually promote research on injury prevention, based on musculoskeletal simulation and other technologies. NFL promotes research on concussion prevention, at least to a degree. NHL will never take the lead on this, but the Habs could. With a few million, they could recreate injury scenarios in 3D, then redo these with different parameters, such as a switch of equipment, or advanced board materials, or prevention based on specific training with physiotherapists that recognize each player's vulnerability. Take the lead in this area rather than submit to the whims of the game.
They could take the lead in all these breakthroughs and protocols but just seems reasonable that they ought to ensure that they have the best available to dispense those technologies. I have a feeling that their hiring standards and performance review process, will need to go under the microscope.

Reactions: the

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Is it??

He’s one of our most productive players of late.

You obviously have no clue what’s going on with this team.
Right.. so having a perimeter guy that has a hot run is the way to build a team???

So you realise that you are saying he will keep this production up? And you are saying that he is actually good, because production it is not enough to win games…

I was actually looking at the big picture, not this small hot streak that won’t last anyway.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
They should all have been traded….just like that lol

Man, your pulse and understanding of the league is literally zero.

Playstation warrior
Nice reference but some teams have made lots of trades this year. Habs weren’t one of them. From the news we have had, Anderson, Dvorak, Allen, Edmundson and Monahan could have been traded. The time for Monahan and Edmundson wasn’t easy because of the injuries, so I guess KH gets a passe for those two.

I believe it was a mistake because they extra KH will be able to get for them when he gets his price, won’t compensate for losing a real chance at a top pick in a draft that comes every 10 ish years.

Last edited:

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
These guys are there for a full year and 98% of the team is what they inherited from Bergevin....how in the hell could they prepare?
You have to accept the position of weakness, only because of this draft strength.

Not easy thing to do and to know when to do it but they are paid big bucks specifically because they should understand and smell out these things.

Accepting the weakness means they should have traded guys under the price they wanted because of the tank. Adding all these little wins on trades won’t add up to having a real shot to draft top 3 this year. Not understanding this was a huge mistake.

Real life example: How did the Habs draft Lafleur.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad