GDT: Trade Deadline Day

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well this is a pleasant surprise. Nice that we're playing the Ducks on a back to back and 3rd in 4 nights...

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
You mean a guy that can literally pass through an entire team lol. He’s worth 2m per year I’m not saying he’s a game breaker like you seem to be stuck on. His injuries and mental health issues is why nobody wants him. He’s a 45-50 point player playing with actual garbage
Drouin is complete garbage and didnt you see how important cap was even with 50% teams needed a 3rd team broker to make it happen but you for some reason think someone wanted a soft ass no heart player like Drouin at 2.7mill? Or do you think teams were calling Hughes offering a pick for him but Kent didnt want trade him? Like i said hes the last person you would want in a playoffs team not good enough for top 6 and soft no heart for a bottom 6 role in the playoffs

If someone was calling the Habs for Drouin trust me Hughes would of traded him hes 100% not resigning him so why keep him not like he has any leadership in the locker room

Reactions: BLONG7

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Give something back to his fans. It's their only two or three days of any excitement this year. Other than the draft. Habs put a terrible product in the ice this season.

They all know Dvorak no trade be kicking in, he'll be a Hab next two years. Edmunston be back. Hoffman be a Hab next year. He had big offer on Anderson. Move him, Eddy, don't do the Allen extension, Habs would drop from 7-8th now in draft to 4-5th. Plus Montreal adds roughly around 12 million in caproom this summer and about 3 extra first to deal. This city been electric in anticipation of June July. These fans would all know those extra assets be used to acquire a Dubois, plus a Lafreniere, or similar. These fans don't care about the games between now and April. Maybe slightly if Farrell signs, a few with Gurianov.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

If there is a silver lining to all these injuries its that management is going to get to the bottom of it as its two years of league leading injuries and a long run issue of players having injuries and then not healing properly.

Reactions: Miller Time

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

If there is a silver lining to all these injuries its that management is going to get to the bottom of it as its two years of league leading injuries and a long run issue of players having injuries and then not healing properly.
I just can't believe this theory that guys get injured because we have a bad physical preparation department and so on.

Makes no sense... Our GM is an ex player agent that had all the best doctors in the world at his hand to be able to maximize his client's value!

No way that department is being ignored!

It has to be bad luck.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Give something back to his fans. It's their only two or three days of any excitement this year. Other than the draft. Habs put a terrible product in the ice this season.

They all know Dvorak no trade be kicking in, he'll be a Hab next two years. Edmunston be back. Hoffman be a Hab next year. He had big offer on Anderson. Move him, Eddy, don't do the Allen extension, Habs would drop from 7-8th now in draft to 4-5th. Plus Montreal adds roughly around 12 million in caproom this summer and about 3 extra first to deal. This city been electric in anticipation of June July. These fans would all know those extra assets be used to acquire a Dubois, plus a Lafreniere, or similar. These fans don't care about the games between now and April. Maybe slightly if Farrell signs, a few with Gurianov.
He's not a GM for the fans. He's not gonna make moves just to appease the fans. He has a vision and will stick to it. TD means nothing.

Anyways, you talk about all these players you wished had been moved because you know they are garbage. And guess what, other teams also know they are garbage and don't want anything to do with them.

The only one I agree is Anderson. If reports of a big offer were true, then yeah he should have been traded especially in a deep draft

Reactions: K2MyEverest

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I just can't believe this theory that guys get injured because we have a bad physical preparation department and so on.

Makes no sense... Our GM is an ex player agent that had all the best doctors in the world at his hand to be able to maximize his client's value!

No way that department is being ignored!

It has to be bad luck.

Bad Luck, or the doctors suck or management has been talking fragile players

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You mean a guy that can literally pass through an entire team lol. He’s worth 2m per year I’m not saying he’s a game breaker like you seem to be stuck on. His injuries and mental health issues is why nobody wants him. He’s a 45-50 point player playing with actual garbage
You must be his agent!!!
HE is the actual garbage....watch the games and take the blinders off.

The End is Near....

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
It just wasnt a good time to make any relevent trade. All players that were in the rumor mill and soon to be Ufa were either injured or untradable due to their salary cap and their play

Anderson with his contract isnt the type of trade you can easily do in the middle of the season. Now you let him showcase himself for the rest of the season on the first Line with Suzuki and maybe trade him this summer where teams will have more room to work with.

Edmundson you have another chance to trade him this summer too and Monahan is probably gone or you re-sign him for 1 year on a friendly prove me deal and trade him next deadline.

Hughes probably didnt had good offers on the table so you dont just trade players for the sake of trading or entertainment. There's need to be a reasoning behind it.

Now lets revaluate this summer after they know where they'll draft and maybe use some of those pieces on a Dubois deal maybe?

Reactions: donghabs98

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Well if the trade deadline has depressed the players as much as the fans, we are in for a great finish.

Habs can only get 2 wins to have a shot at max odds. Losing to the ducks on game 1 might be a sign.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Klingberg went for a 4th round pick and he is a UFA... With a broker team, he would have been worth the same salary as Edmundson at 50% retained. He went for a f***ing 4th.

I doubt there were much demands for Edmundson. Looking at the market, we probably needed to take a contract for him that also had terms.

I think we will have a better market for him this summer.

Don't forget that its 10-12 team that are buying at TDL. The others teams are either selling or staying put or doing minor tweaks.

Very very tough for contending, cap strapped team to acquire player with terms.

We did what we could with what we had. In other words, we did not do much with nothing.

I am sorry but if you are disappointed with this trade deadline, gotta get your head out of your ass and admit the harsh truth. We are stuck with some nasty contracts for at least two years.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Klingberg went for a 4th round pick and he is a UFA... With a broker team, he would have been worth the same salary as Edmundson at 50% retained. He went for a f***ing 4th.

I doubt there were much demands for Edmundson. Looking at the market, we probably needed to take a contract for him that also had terms.

I think we will have a better market for him this summer.

Don't forget that its 10-12 team that are buying at TDL. The others teams are either selling or staying put or doing minor tweaks.

Very very tough for contending, cap strapped team to acquire player with terms.

We did what we could with what we had. In other words, we did not do much with nothing.

I am sorry but if you are disappointed with this trade deadline, gotta get your head out of your ass and admit the harsh truth. We are stuck with some nasty contracts for at least two years.
Good comment, I tend to agree.

However, I’m disappointed because I wanted subtraction for its own sake, and not for any return. My argument is simple: we don’t *have to* plan to tank next year if we successfully tank this year, this year’s tank is on the verge of crashing, and none of the oft-proposed-to-dump players are relevant to our future contending roster and it opens up cap space sooner the sooner we dump them, therefore it’s fine to dump them for little return.

If the theory is that there was simply no cap space or demand at all — I dunno if I buy that, if the players were near free I think they would’ve been picked up.

But… the above requires us to value the current draft picks well above the potential of the ones we’d later acquire for them. When considering injury, continuous decline in production leading to decline in reputation, and more stink of tanking… I think it’s a worthwhile argument.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I disagree.

I think the mistake was trying to max the value of players in a year where the standings are more important then the difference between what was offered and maxing the value.
Maximize the value of who exactly ?

Philadelphia had no concrete offer for JVR. Klingberg went for a 4th rd pick, he would have had the same AAV as Edmundson at 50% with a broker team. You might be overestimating the market for our garbage.

Considering the team who could have acquired Edmundson, there is no way he was traded without us taking another contract with terms. These buying teams are all already cap strapped for next year. Might as well keep him instead of taking Zadorov, for example.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Man I misread that one too...I was so hype about getting Drouin, I wanted him in the draft and he looked so damn good with the Bolts in the playoffs.
...he was benched by Tampa Bay in the playoffs before he came here

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Maximize the value of who exactly ?

Philadelphia had no concrete offer for JVR. Klingberg went for a 4th rd pick, he would have had the same AAV as Edmundson at 50% with a broker team. You might be overestimating the market for our garbage.

Considering the team who could have acquired Edmundson, there is no way he was traded without us taking another contract with terms. These buying teams are all already cap strapped for next year. Might as well keep him instead of taking Zadorov, for example.
That is exactly my point.

The difference between what you would have got (as your example) and what you will get next year (or in ideal circumstances) isn’t worth the better odds the Habs would have (in a draft where the top guy has a level that comes every 10ish years).

Reactions: ReHabs

WG

Sep 9, 2008
They could take the lead in all these breakthroughs and protocols but just seems reasonable that they ought to ensure that they have the best available to dispense those technologies. I have a feeling that their hiring standards and performance review process, will need to go under the microscope.
I assume (or perhaps hope) that this is the next phase in the cleansing of the overall organization. HuGo have started cleaning up the previous regime's negligence in hiring an analytics department and skills coaches. Next up has to be the health side, be it a purge of the medical and training staff, investments in biometrics etc. etc.

For a long time the Habs org has cried about how hard it is to attract players (taxes, weather, potholes, blah blah blah) but never acknowledge nor leverage their major financial advantage over nearly the entire league. The team should spare no costs in all non salary cap expenditures, all of those $14 beers at the games should be able to pay for the brightest and most innovative personnel.

I do have faith in the current management, I think the days of "we will leave no stone unturned" = better hotdogs is over.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Good comment, I tend to agree.

However, I’m disappointed because I wanted subtraction for its own sake, and not for any return. My argument is simple: we don’t *have to* plan to tank next year if we successfully tank this year, this year’s tank is on the verge of crashing, and none of the oft-proposed-to-dump players are relevant to our future contending roster and it opens up cap space sooner the sooner we dump them, therefore it’s fine to dump them for little return.

If the theory is that there was simply no cap space or demand at all — I dunno if I buy that, if the players were near free I think they would’ve been picked up.

But… the above requires us to value the current draft picks well above the potential of the ones we’d later acquire for them. When considering injury, continuous decline in production leading to decline in reputation, and more stink of tanking… I think it’s a worthwhile argument.
I think the net substractions was not possible.

For example, if CGY or TB really wanted Edmundson, from a cap perspective, we would have had to take a contract back and then the payment for Edmundson.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
You have to accept the position of weakness, only because of this draft strength.

Not easy thing to do and to know when to do it but they are paid big bucks specifically because they should understand and smell out these things.

Accepting the weakness means they should have traded guys under the price they wanted because of the tank. Adding all these little wins on trades won’t add up to having a real shot to draft top 3 this year. Not understanding this was a huge mistake.

Real life example: How did the Habs draft Lafleur.
What Sam Pollock was able to accomplish 50 years ago does not constitute a legitimate 'real life' example for 2023. Even the crappiest management teams in today's NHL would scoff at how some of those expansion era teams operated.

With your Lafleur example I presume you figure HuGo should trade good players to Chicago or Arizona so they will pass the Habs in the standings. Those teams have a pretty clear plan for what they are doing and are pretty obviously not going to jeopardize their shot at the big prize this close to the finish line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad