GDT: Trade Deadline Day

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Drouin couldn’t even be moved for future considerations and 50% retained? I have to assume Hughes made that pitch.

Now that there is nothing to sell with the Habs’ expiring contracts, I’m hoping there will be a shift in the way lineups are put together over the rest of the season.
This will be the most interesting thing to see for the last 20+ games. Will Hoff and Drouin start getting less reps as we get new kids in?

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Edmundson is broken take a 5th for him and move on.
I don't want to quote you out of context whilst arguing with another poster but I'll ask you this and let me know what you think.

He's signed 1 more year at 3.5. We sold Chiarot last year for a 1st. Edmundson played good for us when paired with Petry leading up the SCF. I bet you if he plays a full year next year his value can improve.

Rather than bury him anywhere for free (or a 5th). You don't think there's a possibility we get better value at the draft, at next year's TDL?

KH been an agent all his life and a good one at that(DNurse's contract for reference): Darnell Nurse Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If he thinks the market sucks and he's being lowballed and patience pays off because 10 other teams won't be tanking in 2024..... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Tell me this. Armia...you are a GM. Tell me that you have an interest for that player AND the contract. Even if you only give me a 7th rounder...do you get him? Hoffman...same thing. Drouin? Yeah, maybe this he should have done something with it..yet..the guy is gone this summer. Dvorak? Maybe with 1 less year he becomes more attractive at the deadline.

But Gallagher...you are a GM...even from the Coyotes...are you interested?

I mean, yes he did transform Dadonov into Gurianov. But I think that's the main problem...because we saw that happen, we believed it could have happened to everybody else. I guess that for most of our players, the players we think suck...actually suck for other teams too....
Dvorak? I mean, the Avs just bought 36 years old Eller for a 2nd. Teams were in on Kevin Hayes until the last minute.

It was a sellers market, there was an arms race, Hughes shouldve been able to capitalize on this, make the west smell the blood in the water. Instead he overplayed his hand and now were stuck with assets that are leaking value all over the place. Its the same as when Bergevin decide he wouldnt move Gallagher, Petry, Armia, etc before the cup run, except Carey Price isnt here to give us a surprise cup run, so it may be even worse.

• Haha
Reactions: Andrei79

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Darren should have stuck with the usual *he might or might not be traded, for TSN I'm Darren Dreger*

Probably got influenced by Eric Engels article last night.

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well if he absolutely sucks, it’s probably not going down, he’s already there……BUT…..if he gets healthy and plays mediocre hockey with 1 year on his contract as opposed to 2, he just may fetch us something better at the TDL

BUT….if he sucks balls again, we just re acquire the draft pick we missed out on this TDL
What if he doesnt get healthy? We went from a 2nd to nothing. For what? An extra third pick?

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Expected and hoped for some moves. To be fair, the circumstances weren't in our favor right now.

With that said, I will reserve judgment until next training camp. Most of the moves we all wanted to see can still be made at the draft. We'll truly know the team's philosophy once we get there. I am cautiously optimistic as I think what Hughes has done fits with the process we should follow, and we can't yet judge what he hasn't done.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I'm glad we didn't make a trade for tradesake. Would've been nice to move some FAs, like Monahan, but maybe we sign him to a 1 year deal. I don't think he gets more than a one year deal.

Reactions: Morgoth

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Im not sure if it is blind optimism.

Before the deadline, I firmly believed no team would be willing to give up a 1st or 2nd for Drouin, Armia, Dadonov, Hoffman. In fact, I don't think Drouin, Hoffman and Armia were tradeable. I just can't see teams being interested in those players.

Monahan and Edmundson were the two players I expected to get something for, but they are hurt.

Then there is Dvorak, Anderson, Savard who I think have value, but have tricky contracts. Would teams be interested in giving up a 1st or 2nd or prospect for these players? Maybe, but I suspect some money would have to be eaten.

I just dont think we had desirable assets that were available. The two players that had deadline value were hurt.

I think we see Dvorak and Anderson moved at the draft where teams are more likely to pay up for term.

I'm not making excuses, I just don't think we had the assets available for what teams are looking for at this time of year.

As I said I’m not concerned about the deadline. I’m more interested in how he adds key talent to the team when we get there. Will we hear trades are hard then? If so it’s deja vu. This stuff about Drouin is not important. Traded or not the return would’ve been minimal.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Dvorak? I mean, the Avs just bought 36 years old Eller for a 2nd. Teams were in on Kevin Hayes until the last minute.

It was a sellers market, there was an arms race, Hughes shouldve been able to capitalize on this, make the west smell the blood in the water. Instead he overplayed his hand and now were stuck with assets that are leaking value all over the place. Its the same as when Bergevin decide he wouldnt move Gallagher, Petry, Armia, etc before the cup run, except Carey Price isnt here to give us a surprise cup run, so it may be even worse.

Dvorak is under contract for two more years. Eller is a rental. Hayes wasn't traded.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Oh brother. If it was status quo, he would've traded for a few Armia's at the deadline with the hopes they'd squeeze into the playoffs.

This is just a ridiculous comment with zero credibility.
The guy gets 1 like every 10 posts so he irrelevant.

Reactions: Morgoth

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
thumbs_down_gladiator.gif

[imb]

DrearyBlissfulGilamonster-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Chicago will win a cup again way before us. Arizona is Arizona. They can't afford keep players past 3 years.

I like the logo but dislike the owners and most of the management. I have the right you know? So why don't you go create some thread where all you culture kids hang out and can discuss how everything is rainbow and sunshine like it has been the past 30 years.

The more I look at it objectively, the more I see this management not any better or worse than previous. But wait according to you nobody can critique this team. We just don't have that right.

1. The Allen signing was terrible and should have been dealt when value was high.
2. Should have drafted Cooley.
3. Did not sell off enough players in their real first year as management knowing what was at stake
4. Could not find basically 1 trade partner at deadline.
5. Played Monhanan when injured and he re-injured himself. Terrible assest management.
List goes on and go...

Also, are you sure you are not the GM's son or anti-tank police? Sure seems that way when anyone has different view from your unicorns, rainbows, and sunshine mind
Chicago right now is more likely to pick 4th then 1st or 2nd. The player they drafted last year with the dach pick was nazer who is already looking like a bust due to injury concerns and there are no guarantees Chicago doesn’t collapse like Edmonton or buffalo did following there High picks . If you have the right to just sit here and criticize every single move I can see the alternative as well. To strip this team down and compete with Arizona and Chicago we’d have to trade Suzuki, dach, caufield and guhle. You conveniently neglected that from your analysis like always.

Cooley was the consensus third choice on bobs list last summer it’s revisionist history and once he gets to the NHL and he isn’t flanked by 2 pwf wingers will see if his skill still is able to carry him through, Cooley is also getting out produced by Hutson of all people. He sold off in his first year, chariot for still the highest pick a team owns in this draft outside of there own. Kulak for hutson, lehkonen for a former first rounder and a 2nd, and Toffoli for a first prospect and player. Please tell me which of those packages is worse for the player then what we saw this year? Separately the players he didn’t sell have term and until this season term was the equivalent of a bad word that couldn’t be moved he parlayed cap space into a 1st for monahan which if you go read the thread at the beginning of the year everyone said if we get this for carrying him for a year bully.

All you are is a contrarian, you don’t consider any context and assume you’d have done it better. Your criticisms essentially boil down to no one would take bergevins trash for a high price so we could tank more but none of those players are hurting the tank right now.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
As I said I’m not concerned about the deadline. I’m more interested in how he adds key talent to the team when we get there. Will we hear trades are hard then? If so it’s deja vu. This stuff about Drouin is not important. Traded or not the return would’ve been minimal.
I guess we’ll see. He’s added three first round picks since he’s been here, Dach, Barron, and Matheson. Not so bad if you ask me. We’ll see what happens as the team improves. I fully expect Dvorak and Anderson to be moved in the summer,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad