Trade deadline: Buyers or sellers?

What should the Flames do at this year's Trade Deadline?

• Buyers - add players to the current roster.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Sellers - trade players from the current roster for futures.

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • Stand Pat - do nothing, hope everything works out

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Buffalo is an interesting trade partner if they wanna compete for this season. Based on their needs, I wonder if we could do something like pry both their first and Levi from them. They could ride UPL/Vladar longer term.

Someone as strong as Levi to spar with Wolf for first swipe as backup would be nice, then both as a tandem would be sweet. But we'd need to try and steal Ian Clark, Sean Burke or some other legit goalie coach to ensure they don't crater or end up like Hart/Parsons.

Reactions: Boomstick

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
If you think about it, we should have been loaded up enough with drafts that we "might" have landed Bedard. The last mega-#1 since McDavid.

Ask yourself if our org has the intestinal fortitude to be in the running for the next one. Edmonton was a laughing stock for how many years with 1sts and double-birded us all. And now they're a super exciting team with the 100% consensus best player in the world barely entering his prime. Win or lose their fan-base is secure for a good 30 years off of Connors back alone. Like Gretz. Or, if you will: Connor/Drais like Gretz/Mess.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If you think about it, we should have been loaded up enough with drafts that we "might" have landed Bedard. The last mega-#1 since McDavid.

Ask yourself if our org has the intestinal fortitude to be in the running for the next one. Edmonton was a laughing stock for how many years with 1sts and double-birded us all. And now they're a super exciting team with the 100% consensus best player in the world barely entering his prime. Win or lose their fan-base is secure for a good 30 years off of Connors back alone. Like Gretz. Or, if you will: Connor/Drais like Gretz/Mess.

If ownership mentality doesn't change, this doesn't change.

In 2014 off season a decimated flames team led by 1C matt stajan was a lock for a top 5 pick in 2015 on paper. Edmonton with their multiple 1OA were slated to be a first or second round playoff lock on paper.

Playoff mandate and epic oiler collapse... This is what happened.

Our current roster is basically a rushed rebuild build around a 6OA pic (Tkachuk), 2015 15th oa and two 2015 seconds (hamilton) and a ton of second and late rounders that panned out value wise (Gaudreau, fox, ferland, Anderson, Kylington etc.). Treliving sold high and kept trading up (Lindholm and Hanifin). It's more solid than expected, but it's not the base most teams use to build a contender.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

In 2014 off season a decimated flames team led by 1C matt stajan was a lock for a top 5 pick in 2015 on paper. Edmonton with their multiple 1OA were slated to be a first or second round playoff lock on paper.

Our current roster is basically a rushed rebuild build around a 6OA pic (Tkachuk), 2015 15th oa and two 2015 seconds (hamilton) and a ton of second and late rounders that panned out value wise (Gaudreau, fox, ferland, Anderson, Kylington etc.). Treliving sold high and kept trading up (Lindholm and Hanifin). It's more solid than expected, but it's not the base most teams use to build a contender.

I'm not trying to be unnessecarily cruel on Tre. If his hands were tied into his undies :sarcasm: then a big slap starts above his pay grade. I just don't think a nice, correct anyone is going to convince management of anything. We need like a Connor McGregor who splashes coffee in the face of his employer (Dana White/UFC) and storms out with an exorbitant contract demand on the table all the while denigrating Khabib forcing a title shot; then gets the UFC to advertise his whiskey into retirement. I don't think Tre can be that guy. We can't be about fair trades and what's good for everybody. We need to sell shit as a brownie. Like I said, Edmonton unabashedly acquired 1sts and high picks for an eternity in only a mentality that Better Call Saul could have done- not caring how low brow, unclassy, whatever they were.

And as an aside, I dont think Tre effectively wooed Gaudreau or Tkachuk like Shanahan did with Matthews (for example). He played hardball with our superstar (s) up until 2022 and then tried to make it look like in our playoff run we were lovers. Johnny was shit upon in his last contract negotiations. Neither he or Chucky were wooed into being determined to stay here. Tre left Giordano unprotected. He didn't trade Brodie or Monahan nearly soon enough. He's not looking to move our bloated, overrated Kias in Colemand and Mangi.

He's got to go IMO. Have to find a Saul.

Reactions: joescores

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Buffalo is an interesting trade partner if they wanna compete for this season. Based on their needs, I wonder if we could do something like pry both their first and Levi from them. They could ride UPL/Vladar longer term.

Someone as strong as Levi to spar with Wolf for first swipe as backup would be nice, then both as a tandem would be sweet. But we'd need to try and steal Ian Clark, Sean Burke or some other legit goalie coach to ensure they don't crater or end up like Hart/Parsons.
They love Levi as much as we love wolf, no chance they give that up considering they don't have a goalie rn. But I think 23 first or jack Quinn would be a good deal for any of our D beside andersson

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
They love Levi as much as we love wolf, no chance they give that up considering they don't have a goalie rn. But I think 23 first or jack Quinn would be a good deal for any of our D beside andersson

Agreed. I know Levi is their wolf and unlikely to be pryed out. But if they're caught up in this eastern arms race and we offer multiple great pieces to insulates their young core and allows a good opportunity to fight well for multiple seasons, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for him and they aim at someone who is immediately good for their roster.

I'm not trying to be unnessecarily cruel on Tre. If his hands were tied into his undies
:sarcasm:
then a big slap starts above his pay grade. I just don't think a nice, correct anyone is going to convince management of anything. We need like a Connor McGregor who splashes coffee in the face of his employer (Dana White/UFC) and storms out with an exorbitant contract demand on the table all the while denigrating Khabib forcing a title shot; then gets the UFC to advertise his whiskey into retirement. I don't think Tre can be that guy. We can't be about fair trades and what's good for everybody. We need to sell shit as a brownie. Like I said, Edmonton unabashedly acquired 1sts and high picks for an eternity in only a mentality that Better Call Saul could have done- not caring how low brow, unclassy, whatever they were.

And as an aside, I dont think Tre effectively wooed Gaudreau or Tkachuk like Shanahan did with Matthews (for example). He played hardball with our superstar (s) up until 2022 and then tried to make it look like in our playoff run we were lovers. Johnny was shit upon in his last contract negotiations. Neither he or Chucky were wooed into being determined to stay here. Tre left Giordano unprotected. He didn't trade Brodie or Monahan nearly soon enough. He's not looking to move our bloated, overrated Kias in Colemand and Mangi.

He's got to go IMO. Have to find a Saul.

Do you want a criminal lawyer or a God? My goodness. I don't which gm meets this criteria of yours.

Not Poile, Yzerman, Sakic etc.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Agreed. I know Levi is their wolf and unlikely to be pryed out. But if they're caught up in this eastern arms race and we offer multiple great pieces to insulates their young core and allows a good opportunity to fight well for multiple seasons, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for him and they aim at someone who is immediately good for their roster.

Do you want a criminal lawyer or a God? My goodness. I don't which gm meets this criteria of yours.

Not Poile, Yzerman, Sakic etc.
They aren't in a rush in that race tho, sure they want to end that drought but no point rushing. They still don't have a goalie they can roll with yet, Vlad isn't that guy, and Levi is the only player that can become that in their system. I bet they would trade Levi for a healthy demko lv guy, not a vladar tho.

Reactions: Fig

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

There are many teams closer to winning a Cup than Edmonton.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I'm not one to talk, because my Hindsight is always 20/20, but sometimes I'm on the ball when it comes to projections... but man, you think of what could have been in 2013, 2014 and 2015 for this club and how dramatically different things could be if this team was fully committed to just being the garbage that it was. Like it just embraced being the horrible team it was on paper, and sold everything not nailed down and just committed itself fully into a horrible rebuild.

This team now has lots of money tied into some aging players for a long time, but that shouldn't preclude them for giving it a go in terms of a retool/rebuild on the go.

I've said this, on this board, for the last 10 years, this team is good at finding some diamonds in the rough in terms of late round picks and walk-ons... it just always lacks in terms of being bad enough to draft a game breaker that you can insulate with the talent you're good at finding.

Sell, this team should sell at this point.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm not one to talk, because my Hindsight is always 20/20, but sometimes I'm on the ball when it comes to projections... but man, you think of what could have been in 2013, 2014 and 2015 for this club and how dramatically different things could be if this team was fully committed to just being the garbage that it was. Like it just embraced being the horrible team it was on paper, and sold everything not nailed down and just committed itself fully into a horrible rebuild.

This team now has lots of money tied into some aging players for a long time, but that shouldn't preclude them for giving it a go in terms of a retool/rebuild on the go.

I've said this, on this board, for the last 10 years, this team is good at finding some diamonds in the rough in terms of late round picks and walk-ons... it just always lacks in terms of being bad enough to draft a game breaker that you can insulate with the talent you're good at finding.

Indeed. And yet, I kinda get it. I perhaps would not have gotten back into watching hockey at the level I did if it was not for the 2015 Flames.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We can look back and wish we tanked in those mid 2010s seasons but we still had a (almost 2x) Norris trophy winning Dman, the best LW in the league, another top winger in the league, a perennial Selke finalist, and an emerging one in Lindholm.

The backbone was there to get some deep runs. Treliving's downfall was his failure to address the goaltending carousel, hiring Gulutzan, Peters, Ward, allowing our highest ever pick to be jerked around, and sitting on his hands for 4 years in terms of making a serious trade.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

You could also say it was those late picks/walkons that prevented us from picking top 10-5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad