Trade deadline: Buyers or sellers?

What should the Flames do at this year's Trade Deadline?

• Buyers - add players to the current roster.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Sellers - trade players from the current roster for futures.

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • Stand Pat - do nothing, hope everything works out

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Didn’t vote.

Expectation is spending mid round picks for below average veteran depth as per usual.

Preference would be to make deals with future in mind/tweak the roster (not that we are contenders). Player in, player out moves. Hopefully move some cap from next year’s roster. 🤷‍♂️

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
We have nothing to sell. Stand pat and sell next yr if we suck again
Not true. They could always look to sell picks and prospects.

Seriously though, Lucic, Lewis, & Ritichie could get some late round picks back. Better than nothing.

If they were committed to rebuilding, they could get creative and offer two or three of Lindholm/Hanifin/Backlund/Toffoli/Zadarov @ 50% retention. That'd be worth a lot.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Not true. They could always look to sell picks and prospects.

Seriously though, Lucic, Lewis, & Ritichie could get some late round picks back. Better than nothing.

If they were committed to rebuilding, they could get creative and offer two or three of Lindholm/Hanifin/Backlund/Toffoli/Zadarov @ 50% retention. That'd be worth a lot.

Lewis could get us a 5th or 6th. The other two are worth nothing.

Flames won’t sell guys who still have contracts this season.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Lewis could get us a 5th or 6th. The other two are worth nothing.

Flames won’t sell guys who still have contracts this season.
Eh, Boston & Seattle would probably give up a 7th for Lucic if they could make the cap work.

Also, Flames won't sell anything period. But the point is that they could all sorts of things if they wanted to.

Reactions: Nanuuk

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I'd sell your ass for that. :snide:

Also, on the subject of selling or buying, Lucic to Boston probably not going to happen now that they've got Hathaway.

Yes, I wanted Hathaway don't @ me.
Would would u sell my ass to give Montreal a high picks!! U traitor o.o

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Tbh, next year would probably be better to sell with all the expiring contracts coming up. But I do think if we're too far out then Brad should listen to whatever offers people have for anybody

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
they should be doing jack sh*t until they figure out the GM future, but this is the Flames they will let Treliving trade the 2023 1st and Coronato for "help" that like Toffoli last season will do nothing of impact, they miss the playoffs, Treliving is replaced and then firesale everyone to get support for Huberdeau cause you can build a contender around a soft playmaking winger.

we have crap for cap space next year and have
Backlund - middle 6 center
Lindholm - top 6 center
Toffoli - middle 6 winger
Tanev - top pairing d
Zadorov - bottom 4 anchor d
Hanifin - top 4 d
Kylington - top 4 D

all going into their rental year. The Flames need to stabilize their front office before doing anything.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Options:
Buy
Sell
Nothing

What about buying AND selling? Like... what the Blues might be doing if they take the Tank/ROR rental assets and go for a longer term asset.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
You simply can not be buying with what this time has shown us.

Stand pat and potentially work on laying the ground work for bigger trades come summer time for the likes of Hanifin, Lindholm, Toffoli, etc..

Reactions: Rockmorton

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I only wish we could be more pro-active and be seeing several years into the future and where we want to go. I don't think we had much of a plan with even Gaudreau and Tkachuk here. I think we almost lucked out for the last 8/9 years. Proactive to me meant trading Brodie several years earlier while he was still considered an outside Norris contender; trading Monahan 2 or 3 years earlier as well, while he was perceived league-wide as a 1st line centre and perenial 30-40 goal guy. But in the end we got next to nothing for guys we could have traded for big return. IMO.

So I'm a seller but for a longer, 3-5 year plan (ie, mostly draft picks). I honestly think for their bloated contracts Mangi and Coleman should be on the table, and Hanafin for bigger picture reasons. I don't think anyone should be safe. Maybe the closest to that is Backlund.

Last edited:

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I’d look at a hockey deal to get rid of Markstrom while some desperate GM thinks he can still be the answer. Call up Wolf regardless.

Otherwise stand pat.
I like your thinking here's one . Tanev and Markstrom for Hyman , Smith and Klefbom , now thats a hockey trade .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad