GDT: Trade Deadline - 2pm Central - Time to deal - tick tock tick tock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Hopefully we make that pick real, real low for you guys.

Otherwise, complete fleecing.

Zucker is not a $5.5M/year player especially in this cap environment. I'd trade him for very little to just get out from the contract.

I’m a Zucker fan but for the Wild it was a bit of a no brainer. What Addison does is what will determine how it looks in the end. He’s currently second in the AHL for points and if he can bring that type of offense to the NHL and not be a liability, it will look bad for the Pens. If he’s ultimately only a bottom pairing, specialty-type player I would say that a late first and Addison is about right for what Zucker was before hitting the patch he has.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
This is not a deadline to jump in with two feet.

Guerin should try to trade Parise to the Islanders for cap dumps, but that's about it. It's not like Chuck Fletcher are going to put Couturier on the market without giving Guerin a call on JEE and Dumba.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I’m a Zucker fan but for the Wild it was a bit of a no brainer. What Addison does is what will determine how it looks in the end. He’s currently second in the AHL for points and if he can bring that type of offense to the NHL and not be a liability, it will look bad for the Pens. If he’s ultimately only a bottom pairing, specialty-type player I would say that a late first and Addison is about right for what Zucker was before hitting the patch he has.

Hindsight is really 20/20 on this one.

At the time of the trade, we looked like Cup Contenders who urgently needed to replace an injured Jake Guentzel. No one knew what "Wuhan" was...

But it was also clear that our former GM fixates on guys...and he'd fixed on Zucker since the Phil/Zucker trade was nixed the summer before. Guerin knew that Rutherford pays premiums to get guys he's fixated on and used that to extract Addison.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
For defense yes. Just making that distinction. And yes that is still very very good.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, it won't happen. Even if the goal is to eventually get Boldy called up (and I'm not convinced it is) those guys will be considered playoff depth, especially since they're all technically on the Center Committee.

I still strongly believe that now would be a good time to see what Winnipeg would offer for Dumba, but I'm not holding my breath on that one either.
I don't necessarily disagree but two issues I have with contemplating moving dumba, especially right at this moment.

1. His relationship with Brodin and Kaprizov.

2. You'd be throwing Addison to the wolves vs giving him a whole season to acclimate.

And bonus 3. What realistic good deal package could we even get from WPG? Would it even be worth?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't necessarily disagree but two issues I have with contemplating moving dumba, especially right at this moment.

1. His relationship with Brodin and Kaprizov.

2. You'd be throwing Addison to the wolves vs giving him a whole season to acclimate.

And bonus 3. What realistic good deal package could we even get from WPG? Would it even be worth?
I'm not sure what they'd offer and it might not be worth it, but one could say that about any hypothetical. What we know is that Winnipeg has a need that Dumba can fill and it's a fair guess that they'd be motivated to fill it now rather than waiting for the offseason.

As for points 1 and 2, Brodin especially should be aware of what his extension likely meant with regards to Dumba and I don't know that Addison would necessarily be called up. Winnipeg would probably have to send salary back in any Dumba trade anyway, so maybe we end up with a 6/7 D to play with Cole after putting Soucy up with Brodin. It's absolutely hurt the blueline, but if they wanted to keep Addison in Iowa I think they could.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Eh, I've advocated for Gaudette in the past but I think he's well past the point where he should be considered a valid center option. Happy to admit I was wrong on that one.

I mean given the price that the 'Hawks paid, I would have easily given up a 3rd for Gaudette. He had a pretty rough season this year, but so did the entire Canucks team. He had 33 points in 59 games last season (on pace for 17 goals and 29 assists) for 40 points. He's also a right-handed shot.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Does anyone reasonable think the Wild make a move? I think Guerin won’t make calls and is only willing to listen to them. I don’t see many teams calling the Wild.

Don't see anything happening for us today. Wouldn't totally hate getting Laughton (not for a 1st), Patrick, or Brown, but definitely lean towards no trades for us today.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I mean given the price that the 'Hawks paid, I would have easily given up a 3rd for Gaudette. He had a pretty rough season this year, but so did the entire Canucks team. He had 33 points in 59 games last season (on pace for 17 goals and 29 assists) for 40 points. He's also a right-handed shot.
He might've helped on the powerplay but I think he would've struggled to find playing time here.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think that Johansson, Bonino, Rask, Cole or Bjugstad are the answers to any team's needs going into the playoffs. Dumba is a big trade, and one that probably won't be done in a rush before the deadline. If Hartman or especially, Foligno were made available then there would be takers.

NSH is a team that is in an interesting spot. Just started to play well, but do they really think that they can go places with those two overpaid slugs they have at Center? I would be selling if I was them.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
My guess is Guerin is building for the draft. Get to know what centers might be available in the offseason, and then wait for a team to get excited about players in the back half of the 1st Round so Guerin can use his double 1sts push a team off the fence.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
What happened?

The assumption that we'd be able to trade a player like Bonino for another 2 or even 1st if he had a good season in our top 6.

Granted that assumption was based on us being a playoff bubble team, instead of squarely in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad