GDT: Trade Deadline - 2pm Central - Time to deal - tick tock tick tock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I've got to think if Guerin is able to get something like a 4th or 5th for Bonino, he will. Is the value of a 6th or 7th worth more than Bonino for the rest of the season? Idk. I've got to think it's probably a wash considering the unlikeliness of a 6th or 7th ever wearing a Wild sweater.

My question is, how many teams are actually buyers for the MoJo/Bonino/Bjugstad players? There's a clear list of guys who are more sought after. If Glendening is off the table early, maybe Bonino is who teams take to next? Glendening is a better FO guy and is certainly a grittier and more physical guy.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Outside of the first round picks moved for glue-type players, prices have looked reasonable. No prospects worth note moving either.

Understand not giving up first round picks, prospects you have expectations for, and even second round picks but this roster can be easily upgraded. Especially when we get to see Rau and Johnson on the nightly basis and even more so the likes of Cramarosa. This is leaving out that you still have one NHL center on roster.

Doing nothing would be an indictment on this GM.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
What the team should be doing if they aren’t going to be serious about improving the team is moving Hartman.

They won’t be able to afford him with the contracts they need to hand out in the offseason. Sure, getting rid of the garbage that is the pending UFAs is all well and good but they aren’t getting anything for them.

Hartman could return something worthwhile with how he’s played. Possibly another late first round pick or a second and another piece.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
What the team should be doing if they aren’t going to be serious about improving the team is moving Hartman.

They won’t be able to afford him with the contracts they need to hand out in the offseason. Sure, getting rid of the garbage that is the pending UFAs is all well and good but they aren’t getting anything for them.

Hartman could return something worthwhile with how he’s played. Possibly another late first round pick or a second and another piece.

I don't disagree with this, but I don't believe Guerin is going to do anything to make the team less competitive heading into the playoffs. He won't mortgage the future for a rental now, but I don't think he's going to raise the white flag and become a seller, either. And moving a contributing member for futures is the action of a seller.

My bet is that we lose Hartman for nothing after the season.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Only way I'm disappointed today is if Patrick or Brown get moved for like 3rd round picks and we don't get either. Otherwise, totally fine with nothing happening, but open to trades that don't involve our 1sts for rentals.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I don't disagree with this, but I don't believe Guerin is going to do anything to make the team less competitive heading into the playoffs. He won't mortgage the future for a rental now, but I don't think he's going to raise the white flag and become a seller, either. And moving a contributing member for futures is the action of a seller.

And this is the issue that the people who criticize him have with his approach.

Tough to look at this roster and say it can’t be improved with minor assets going the other way.

If you want to hold onto a notion that the team isn’t ready and you are still building the version of the team you envision, not moving a piece like Hartman, who would be valuable to other teams trying, seems to be a pretty large misstep. Especially since you could likely get a worthwhile piece back.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Hartman is a UFA, right? I know the cap sites always list his expiry status as "RFA" but I thought there was something odd about his case.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Hartman is a UFA, right? I know the cap sites always list his expiry status as "RFA" but I thought there was something odd about his case.
upload_2021-4-12_9-0-39.png

Hartman is a RFA, Russo has talked in the past about trading him because of his QA. However, I think he is worth keeping if we can move out some other guys.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
View attachment 421193

Hartman is a RFA, Russo has talked in the past about trading him because of his QA. However, I think he is worth keeping if we can move out some other guys.
I must be misremembering something, then. If he's an RFA I think we'd still have room to trade his rights in the offseason, especially if he keeps up a 40-ish point pace while swapping between wing and center.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I've got to think if Guerin is able to get something like a 4th or 5th for Bonino, he will. Is the value of a 6th or 7th worth more than Bonino for the rest of the season? Idk. I've got to think it's probably a wash considering the unlikeliness of a 6th or 7th ever wearing a Wild sweater.

My question is, how many teams are actually buyers for the MoJo/Bonino/Bjugstad players? There's a clear list of guys who are more sought after. If Glendening is off the table early, maybe Bonino is who teams take to next? Glendening is a better FO guy and is certainly a grittier and more physical guy.
I'm hoping that the Toronto and Boston trades kicked off an arms race. Making players like Bonino a little bit more attractive.

Reactions: TwiztedHeat

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
View attachment 421193

Hartman will probably be getting a nice raise after this season, not sure the Wild will be able to afford to spend ~$2.5 million for a 4th liner.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Moving Bonino and Johansson would be real nice. Would like to get someone like Laughton, but don't know that we'd re-sign him and he'd prob cost a 1st.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

This seems about right, to me. And I won't get all that angry about it, either. I just don't think that Bonino, Jpohansson, Bjugstad, or even Hartman will fetch enough of a return to worry about it. If a retained Hall only got a second, then they are going to get a 3rd at most, but likely later than that. It's good for the team to go into the playoffs and try to win at least one round.

I think the trades for guys like Patrick will take place after the ED. Maybe Dumba, too. Sure hope Parise is waiving.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
move rentals, call up Boldy. Please Guerin, Please.
This is the dream, but the reality is ...well, I don't know what it is. Boldy could come up and handle his business with aplomb, or look overwhelmed. Guess we would find out.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Don't want to burst the vet pending Ufa for picks bubble but when was the last time a GM traded those kind of players while in a playoff hunt?

Not very often I do believe. Don't get hopes up to be disappointed is all I'm sayinnn.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Don't want to burst the vet pending Ufa for picks bubble but when was the last time a GM traded those kind of players while in a playoff hunt?

Not very often I do believe. Don't get hopes up to be disappointed is all I'm sayinnn.

I don't believe we'd trade Bonino at all, but Johansson might be a different story. I wouldn't be surprised to see Boldy take his spot and be better instantly tbh. I think if you can just get Johansson off the books it's win.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Yeah, it won't happen. Even if the goal is to eventually get Boldy called up (and I'm not convinced it is) those guys will be considered playoff depth, especially since they're all technically on the Center Committee.

I still strongly believe that now would be a good time to see what Winnipeg would offer for Dumba, but I'm not holding my breath on that one either.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, it won't happen. Even if the goal is to eventually get Boldy called up (and I'm not convinced it is) those guys will be considered playoff depth, especially since they're all technically on the Center Committee.

I still strongly believe that now would be a good time to see what Winnipeg would offer for Dumba, but I'm not holding my breath on that one either.
You would think that WPG would've been on the phone with their best offer for Dumba long before this.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You would think that WPG would've been on the phone with their best offer for Dumba long before this.
I sure as **** would have been, but who knows how this stuff actually plays out. I only assume it hasn't happened because historically Dumba's name comes up constantly in these trade flurries, especially if Canadian teams are interested.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If I remember correctly, Johansson has a M-NTC still and as such can be a bit difficult to move him. I'd love to move Bjugstad or Bonino and keep Sturm on the roster full time and maybe call up Dewar. This team has never really been sellers at the deadline since the Risebrough's days and that was once, and when they were they were way out of the playoffs.

Furthermore, this season (like last season) is really strange. You can't look at this roster and see a competitive team in it. They fumbled their way into the playoffs and is in one of the worst divisions in the NHL at the moment. It was a race to the bottom essentially with Los Angeles, Anaheim, Arizona and San Jose all competitively trying to get there.

Finally, I don't see how Bonino or Johansson or Bjugstad or even Cole is going to be coming back next season - why not get what we can? I wouldn't be surprised if Bonino snagged a B-tier prospect and a mid-round prospect by himself.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The Wild are a victim of their own success....if we were out of the playoff race, I'm sure Guerin would be selling today. But we're not, and even if we all know that the Wild truly aren't Cup contender, no GM would want to send that message to their current team.

Once it became apparent to me that the Wild were going to be in the playoffs, I immediately resigned myself to the fact that Guerin is not going to be selling rentals for futures.

I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->