GDT: Trade Deadline - 2pm Central - Time to deal - tick tock tick tock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
To me it’s not all that amusing to watch where this team is with the trash they employ at the center position and wonder where they would be if the GM of the team would put any type of effort to address the position.

The players this team relies on will either not be here or in a significantly reduced role when the team comes upon this timeline this GM has forced upon his team. And that’s neglecting that once again this franchise is positioned to lose one of the best players in the entire expansion draft.

Seems to me that making a modest add to address a glaring weakness to give your team a chance in a year where they’ve performed above expectations would be warranted. Especially knowing that the team will be taking a step backwards in all likelihood next season.

Just because we haven't acquired a top flight center does not mean he has been doing nothing. Those deals are not easy to make and when you don't have a lot of high end tradable assets to do it with (or ones you want to part with) it makes it even harder.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Just because we haven't acquired a top flight center does not mean he has been doing nothing. Those deals are not easy to make and when you don't have a lot of high end tradable assets to do it with (or ones you want to part with) it makes it even harder.

Where did a I say a top flight center in that?

Outside of JEE, the teams centers are a non-center in Hartman, Rask, Sturm, and two centers who can’t play at this level anymore in Bonino and Bjugstad.

This is the bar that he has set for himself to clear and willfully chooses not to. To do so would not require assets that the team cannot do without.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The organization themselves then.

You really think that trading Johansson and Cole, and calling up Boldy and Addison, is waiving the white flag on this season as far as the playoffs goes?
Definitively? No. Do I think it's highly likely? Yes. Chemistry is a very real thing on a team and all you need to see that is to revisit the Hanzal trade.
I also don't believe guys being thrown into a playoff chase will be allowed to "just play" and "see what they got" as was previously mentioned. They are going to be expected to hold their roles efficiently and contribute to the playoff chase. And some rookies fold under that.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Where did a I say a top flight center in that?

Outside of JEE, the teams centers are a non-center in Hartman, Rask, Sturm, and two centers who can’t play at this level anymore in Bonino and Bjugstad.

This is the bar that he has set for himself to clear and willfully chooses not to. To do so would not require assets that the team cannot do without.

Again...just because he hasn't made a deal doesn't mean he is willfully choosing not to do so.
And "any center" is not the way to go either as we've now clearly seen...so you wait and make the right deal.
Those are likely to be higher skilled and cause the loss of assets we dont want to part with.
Fans won't like it...but patience is a virtue...and he is not on a "we've been waiting 20 years" clock. He's on his own and deserves the time to figure this out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Definitively? No. Do I think it's highly likely? Yes. Chemistry is a very real thing on a team and all you need to see that is to revisit the Hanzal trade.
I also don't believe guys being thrown into a playoff chase will be allowed to "just play" and "see what they got" as was previously mentioned. They are going to be expected to hold their roles efficiently and contribute to the playoff chase. And some rookies fold under that.

I'm not so certain that our train is on such a track that it couldn't use a little shakeup, and even better since that shakeup would be an injection of youth and skill.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I really don't find it curious because BG has been pretty open that he wasn't going to give up any assets (draft picks/prospects) for a rental. You can disagree with his approach, but it's really not puzzling.

Sure it is because if this is based even in part by the fact that he himself was a failed rental then thats just a really lame excuse. Not impressed with his “this one time at band camp” reasoning. Imo. Scared of making the wrong move is getting in the way of finding the right move which has been elusive for him so far.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Sure it is because if this is based even in part by the fact that he himself was a failed rental then thats just a really lame excuse. Not impressed with his “this one time at band camp” reasoning. Imo. Scared of making the wrong move is getting in the way of finding the right move which has been elusive for him so far.
Oh so you want him to make a deal just to make a deal. Got it.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Nope, read it again.....slower.
Oh, I read it just fine.

There's not 1 deal that went down today that I think we should have been in on. Obviously, he thought all the deal done were "wrong" for the Wild to partake in. Him being afraid of making the "wrong" deal, did not preclude him from making the "right" deal.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Him being afraid of making the "wrong" deal, did not preclude him from making the "right" deal.

Disagree. Why? Because “no move” is about all we’ve gotten. The average NHL gm lasts about 4 years. Guerin has spent about 40% of his stuck in the starting blocks. We have no idea what his track record is in being able to create something clever.....he hasn’t done it yet. He gets no more “well, it just wasn’t there to be made” credit. Hurry up and do something successful or f’ off for the next guy isn’t too much to ask 19 months in.

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
I just find so much of what Guerin’s done this past year to be incoherent.

I didn’t expect him to sell off the pending UFAs because of his talk about the players in the room earning the right to make a playoff run. It’s not what I’d choose, but I respect that choice, and I’m sure the players do too. The flip side of that coin, though, is the Staal trade, which I suspect didn’t sit well with many in that room and I felt lacked professional courtesy for a player with a great resume who took a hometown discount (admittedly under a different GM) to stay.

I also felt like the Johannsson and Bonino acquisitions were likely predicated on them being flipped for picks at the deadline. With that obviously not being the case, either Guerin allowed the experiences of his playing career to dictate his role as GM in recent weeks or his evaluations was that one year of Bonino and a lottery ticket (which I hope works out, but I don’t know, seems like you’d be hoping Khusnutdinov develops into a middle-six center) is worth more than three years (roughly?) of team-controlled Kunin.

As someone whose opinions I agree with wrote earlier, 100 days to go before we find out whether this is 4D chess or Billy brought checkers to chess club.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Disagree. Why? Because “no move” is about all we’ve gotten. The average NHL gm lasts about 4 years. Guerin has spent about 40% of his stuck in the starting blocks. We have no idea what his track record is in being able to create something clever.....he hasn’t done it yet. He gets no more “well, it just wasn’t there to be made” credit. Hurry up and do something successful or f’ off for the next guy isn’t too much to ask 19 months in.

I think we change GMs every year. They don't do moves that we approve of, hell we're never going to approve of anything/everything, we find a new GM! Eventually we'll get a GM that makes a "good" deal!

Please. Most of y'all are over here playing a finite game while a few of us understand it's an infinite game.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I just find so much of what Guerin’s done this past year to be incoherent.

I didn’t expect him to sell off the pending UFAs because of his talk about the players in the room earning the right to make a playoff run. It’s not what I’d choose, but I respect that choice, and I’m sure the players do too. The flip side of that coin, though, is the Staal trade, which I suspect didn’t sit well with many in that room and I felt lacked professional courtesy for a player with a great resume who took a hometown discount (admittedly under a different GM) to stay.

I also felt like the Johannsson and Bonino acquisitions were likely predicated on them being flipped for picks at the deadline. With that obviously not being the case, either Guerin allowed the experiences of his playing career to dictate his role as GM in recent weeks or his evaluations was that one year of Bonino and a lottery ticket (which I hope works out, but I don’t know, seems like you’d be hoping Khusnutdinov develops into a middle-six center) is worth more than three years (roughly?) of team-controlled Kunin.

As someone whose opinions I agree with wrote earlier, 100 days to go before we find out whether this is 4D chess or Billy brought checkers to chess club.
Yeah, and to be clear I have nothing against patience and I'm not all that torn up about not making moves today. I didn't see many deals that I regret missing out on and I'd certainly rather miss out than spending a 1st on Nick Foligno.

But the idea that "Guerin didn't do anything, therefore he couldn't do anything" should be treated with extreme skepticism and this deadline should be the last time that excuse flies. Signing extensions and prospects is well and good, but that's stuff the interim GM does while they hire someone to make real decisions. So far Guerin's only major decision was Zucker and it will never get easier than having your old boss begging to overpay for a player you don't have a spot for next year. He's going to need to go out and identify targets and take risks, whether that's acquiring a center or liquidating players for futures or whatever.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am guessing that the players are disappointed that Guerin didn't think enough of their chances in the playoffs to add a player. I am glad that he didn't screw anything up by making a bad deal, but am wondering if he intends to use his stand pat TD strategy for the ED.

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know if there is a Trade Freeze before the ED, or is it just a FA Freeze?

Last edited:

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I am guessing that the players are disappointed that Guerin didn't think enough of their chances in the playoffs to add a player. I am glad that he didn't screw anything up by making a bad deal, but am wondering if he intends to use his stand pat TD strategy for the ED.

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know if there is a Trade Freeze before the ED, or is it just a FA Freeze?

I guess I have a different feeling, in that they likely understand there wasn't really anything that was going to push them over the top. Pretty sure they get GMBG is playing the long game. I'm not disagreeing with others that have said he's made some bizarre, head scratching moves. However, I think there is (maybe) a method in the madness. I mean, really, I don't think any one of us thought this group would play as well as they have. Sure, they've been up and down. I think a good chunk of the current roster will see turnover by next season as well. But, there wasn't anything on the market that was going to get them to the next level for a deep dive in the playoffs. And really very few of the players that moved did I see any major long term benefit to the team either. There were a couple, 'Meh, it'd be an alright get.' (I wouldn't mind seeing what a Sam Bennett could have done here.) I guess to me though, for what he was moved for, I'm still good with not making a move just to make one. Just doesn't feel like this is the year to focus on.

I get 'Anything can happen in the playoffs.' I still think anyone that's watched this team this year and thought they were going anywhere past *maybe* round 1 is fooling themselves.

Reactions: Bazeek

Val

Jan 19, 2021
I get 'Anything can happen in the playoffs.' I still think anyone that's watched this team this year and thought they were going anywhere past *maybe* round 1 is fooling themselves.
Will Wild start the playoff in West division? It's right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad