Speculation: Trade Deadline 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
As a Rangers fan if you want to dump Radulov sure but the most I’d give I’d Gauthier

NYR can take the full cap hit if it helps Dallas to something else

Dallas sort of already has that guy in Riley Tufte. Although, Gauthier has had more success at the AHL level.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Hopefully, this isn't just posturing from Hughes about Petry. If Dallas is going to end up with him ... fine, but I don't want to see Dallas end up with him and then make a change at GM who is now handcuffed financially.

If I'm Gaglardi, I don't know that it's wise to allow Nill to make a major commitment to salary beyond this year unless you're 100% certain he's coming back. Pavelski was a logical exception given the value of the contract he signed.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
give me Gauthier all day over Tufte

Can't there be a 3rd option? None of the above. :sarcasm:

Seriously though with either one, we're talking about 4th line minutes this year, and neither one is going to move the needle significantly on this team. Both have a pretty low chance of carving out a Middle 6 career, but maybe one can be a 3rd liner. It just seems if we're talking low odds all around, the draft pick lotto feels more productive.

On the flip side, maybe a Tufte-Glendening-Gauthier 4th line next year would be intriguing. That assumes Raffl walks and you find a taker for Faksa.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Can't there be a 3rd option? None of the above. :sarcasm:

Seriously though with either one, we're talking about 4th line minutes this year, and neither one is going to move the needle significantly on this team. Both have a pretty low chance of carving out a Middle 6 career, but maybe one can be a 3rd liner. It just seems if we're talking low odds all around, the draft pick lotto feels more productive.

On the flip side, maybe a Tufte-Glendening-Gauthier 4th line next year would be intriguing. That assumes Raffl walks and you find a taker for Faksa.

I still think there's something there with Gauthier. He's in the top ~60 for individual expected goals this year and isn't an anchor defensively.

1647533240845.png

Reactions: Captain Awesome

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
i was a gauthier stan dating back to before he was drafted i am completely on board for a Radulov <> Gauthier swap

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'm not going to argue against any trade that removes $6.25 million in cap space if you can guarantee me it's used on a different Middle 6 forward for a similar low-cost acquisition.

I can't watch Raffl, Faksa, and Glendening in the Top 9 for the rest of the season. 2 of those guys in an appropriate role are fine if not great at what they can offer. This team is beating to watch with them playing Top 9 minutes. They don't even have to be a traditional 4th line. I'd take an actual Bottom 6 that all play similar minutes as a compromise.

Reactions: Satan

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Peterson-Seguin-Radulov was always supposed to be a thing, but they clearly scared the shit out of Bowness with how porous they were in the defensive zone. For some reason, Bones never really tried Peterson with Seguin again even though Peterson and Radulov have been together.

What RW on the market would make Bones comfortable with keeping Peterson with Seguin? I don't really believe the answer is Glendening.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
At this point I'm very beyond caring about Bowness's preferences, he's an afterthought in the grand scheme of things (I hope so anyway). He's never going to play anyone beneficial unless you give him no choice. I think it would be hard enough to find value anywhere as it is, having to limit it to who Bowness likes makes things impossible. I also hope whatever you get is going to be for longer than this year. If not, then I guess it's fair to say you have to grab some defensively conscious guy above some arbitrary age cut-off. Absolutely no one who would take real assets to acquire. If you can clear Radulov, maybe something similar to the Vatrano deal (but not similar to the player, he's the antithesis of what Bowness would like).

I'm good with Holl, if that's the random throw-in that gets Klingberg to where he needs to be. I'm very intrigued by Fleury from Seattle, when I dug around a bit his chart doesn't look too dissimilar to Holl's, and I think somehow his value is even lower. You could probably add both for next year and see how it shakes out with some young, cost controlled guys that could be around for a while. Defense seems like a particular weak point to me in the long term. There are virtually no defensemen past Harley to be excited about at this point, and I would expect that if Nill is asking for prospects, of course just take the best prospect you can get, but if things are close to equal some d-men would be best.

On balance, I think Dallas has failed if they end up with fewer picks than they have right now. Don't spend more futures than you receive. There's probably not a lot of reason to be precious about rounds 4-7, but lottery tickets are lottery tickets, and I wouldn't bother trading them for short-term depth.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Peterson-Seguin-Radulov was always supposed to be a thing, but they clearly scared the shit out of Bowness with how porous they were in the defensive zone. For some reason, Bones never really tried Peterson with Seguin again even though Peterson and Radulov have been together.

What RW on the market would make Bones comfortable with keeping Peterson with Seguin? I don't really believe the answer is Glendening.

I think the trick answer to this could be Pavelski? He's elite both ways and it would let the Stars experiment a little bit with splitting up that first line to create some depth. Ironically, Seguin is the big weak link on that trio, dude just sucks defensively by many measures. Don't think he was every particularly great at it even when he was a burner, so things have gotten worse. I believe both Pavelski and Peterson have played some center, which gives the line some adaptibility, though I doubt Peterson ever gets real consideration as a C. I'm actually not sure how much center he's played before the NHL, but he was drafted as one. Pavelski probably makes more sense there.

You could get pretty fun and play a line like Peterson-Damiani-Pavelski. Damiani is the centerman past the defensive blue line, Pavelski does the positional work in the defensive zone, whoever is better at faceoffs can do that. All three guys can play center, but I think this puts them in their natural positions. I don't know who you stick with Robertson and Hintz, Gurianov I guess. Also adds a bit of speed to a line that is not particularly swift.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
That move could clear $1.125 million in cap space. With Heiskanen out though ... I really don't get it unless another D is coming in. This is definitely intriguing with the timing. They won't carry 6 D, and there's not an obvious other option in the AHL.

This seems like it could be connected to something.

Reactions: LT

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Without a simultaneous callup, it's either gotta be the very quick return of Miro or another d-man coming in?

Sekera is bad, but considering how teams are hoarding d-men at the deadline, maybe he actually gets claimed for depth?

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Without a simultaneous callup, it's either gotta be the very quick return of Miro or another d-man coming in?

Sekera is bad, but considering how teams are hoarding d-men at the deadline, maybe he actually gets claimed for depth?

I think it's probably less than 50% chance he gets taken just because he's not been playing, but there's at least a chance. Since it seems highly unlikely Jesus returned and healed Miro from mono in days, I agree with you they at least have to be preparing for some sort of option for adding a defender.

This could be ...

1) Flexibility where they think he probably won't get taken on waivers, but they want to have the option to assign him to Texas over the next few days SHOULD they be able to actually add a defender.

2) This seems like a stretch, but it's happened before ... maybe the next move is unconditional waivers when he clears to give him a chance to sign at league minimum for the remainder of the season with a different team.

The risk for him to get taken is not zero. That's for sure. There has to be some other corresponding move unless there's a surprise guy in the AHL they want to give a look ... Petrovic maybe? He's played well lately, and he got an extended look in pre-season.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a trade, but I can't say it seems insignificant either. Very curious to see what this is about/what happens.

Reactions: LT

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
It seems very, very risky when your AHL depth is essentially Petrovic and Gleason, neither of which you probably want to see in the NHL if you can absolutely avoid it, even if Sekera is the alternative. Seems uncharacteristic to me. Scenario #2 would be weird, but plausible if they just couldn't find a trade for him and Nill didn't wanna retain. Sekera is brave if he wants to test free agency this week instead of taking the rest of his paycheck, but maybe his agent knows something I don't.

Especially sketchy if there's any real possibility that Klingberg gets traded.

My WWE-style chaos theory is Nill refused to let Bowness scratch Harley for Sekera and this is a power move. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad