starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
1647457584033.png

I can’t wait til this jackass is gone.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
What’s wild is Klingberg has been dogshit. If he really told John “play well and good things will happen” the doubling down on keeping him seems f***ed lol

Reactions: Kcb12345 and Satan

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nill is waiting until the last possible minute to decide. But, that can go two ways. Klinger's value might go up, or.....

Whatever D market exists might have been closed by other trades and we have to hope Klinger doesn't get injured. Nill might be willing to accept less than the perfect 3 asset deal.

Klinger is statistically not doing well this year, but there are still several occasions per game where he passes the eye test and we have to hope some team views that as just what they need.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Nill’s strategy has paid off from a contract negotiation standpoint. Telling Klingberg to “play his game” and such means that we all have a much more realistic idea of the type player that he now is—which is good, but not great. If Klingberg would have stepped-up with a monster season, he would have deserved the extension he wants, and the Stars would have happily paid it. Instead, they are justified in not giving him the money he asked for, even though much of social media was crying “foul” on Nill for not giving it to him. Sometimes, it pays to wait.

As for the TDL, he’ll get traded if the Stars are not in it. If they are, he won’t. It can be as simple as that. Losing him for nothing is a whole lot better than getting stuck with another albatross contract.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Honestly ... that's a good thing Nill is publically talking about what it would take to trade Klingberg if you're in the camp that wants to see him moved. That's uncommon for Nill.

That comes off as him negotiating in the press ... selling the idea that they have zero motivation to move him (teams are calling me, I'm not calling them).

This could just be a Honka situation again though where Nill's value is out of whack with reality, and he stubbornly refuses to come off it. The situations are totally different, but it does show he's not lenient in terms of coming off his expected value.

Reactions: Elysian

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Honestly ... that's a good thing Nill is publically talking about what it would take to trade Klingberg if you're in the camp that wants to see him moved. That's uncommon for Nill.

That comes off as him negotiating in the press ... selling the idea that they have zero motivation to move him (teams are calling me, I'm not calling them).

This could just be a Honka situation again though where Nill's value is out of whack with reality, and he stubbornly refuses to come off it. The situations are totally different, but it does show he's not lenient in terms of coming off his expected value.
A few years back we had a chart showing what someone wrote were traditional NHL values for trades, at least for draft picks. Not sure how vets factor in tht. However, you are right that Nill, whether that chart or in house, gets pretty stubborn on the value he places on assets. It is why no first round picks, no players drafted in the first round (save Dickinson) haven't been traded, and it's why Hintz was never put in the package for EK. His spidey sense of value isn't off all the time.

Not sure about Honka, maybe getting a 7th for his first round bust was just too much of an ego bruise to take, or maybe he legitimately was trying to hold on to his then rep of fleecing everyone on trades by getting the better value.

As to negotiation in the press, yes, but he can say JK started it.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yikes. His production has dropped off a tonne the last 20 or so games.

Next season they will need to figure out what's up with Meier too. He's gonna get 8 mill from them as well, but at at least he's younger than Hertl.
the sharks could have had 64M and some young assets but instead they chose to sign a guy thats never been a point per game

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
And that's with them lucking their way out of the Evander Kane contract too. Yikes

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
They’ve doomed themselves to mediocrity. You love to see it when it isn’t your team.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think that 8x8 is about what we'll be looking at for a Hintz extension next summer.

Duchene, RyJo, Couture and now Hertl have all signed that exact deal and I think Hintz is around the same level of center as those guys were at when they signed.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Why, because he is willing to state the obvious? It's an honest, if canned answer, that tells us absolutely nothing, which is exactly what he meant to tell us, like every other GM.
I don't agree with all Nill's moves but I don't have a problem with his canned answers that give little to no information and I don't understand why people get so upset when he uses them.

As much as I want to know what is really going on in his head, I fully understand that he has no reason to give that information to the media. I think one of his good traits is that he plays his cards close to his chest and does not let info leak out of his office. Even though that means less juicy articles for me to read as a fan.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
if this is insinuating that the Stars' cap situation is similar to the Sharks' then its just horribly inaccurate

I think similar is the perfect word, the Stars situation isn't as severe, but if you don't see any irony in laughing at a team that has started to stink because its bloated contracts are handcuffing them, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Reactions: DieselPig

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I think similar is the perfect word, the Stars situation isn't as severe, but if you don't see any irony in laughing at a team that has started to stink because its bloated contracts are handcuffing them, I'm not sure what to tell you.
we have one 30 year old making 7M+ beyond 2025

the sharks have four

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad