Speculation: Trade Deadline 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'm going to be thinking about a trade happening all day now ....

Florida cleared space and then pulled a trade a few hours later. I know that's not likely, but I'm going to be watching for it ... :laugh:

Reactions: LT

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
It seems very, very risky when your AHL depth is essentially Petrovic and Gleason, neither of which you probably want to see in the NHL if you can absolutely avoid it, even if Sekera is the alternative. Seems uncharacteristic to me. Scenario #2 would be weird, but plausible if they just couldn't find a trade for him and Nill didn't wanna retain. Sekera is brave if he wants to test free agency this week instead of taking the rest of his paycheck, but maybe his agent knows something I don't.

Especially sketchy if there's any real possibility that Klingberg gets traded.

My WWE-style chaos theory is Nill refused to let Bowness scratch Harley for Sekera and this is a power move. :sarcasm:

Is it really a stretch. I think you could absolutely make the case that Nill waived Comeau to stop Bowness from playing him, and then Bowness refused to play the young depth Nill called up in his place.

I don't think they're warring or at odds or anything, but I also don't think they're consistently on the same page.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Technically he absolutely could if he wanted. To get Comeaued you have to get waived and assigned to the AHL.
Not if they're talking about him playing. He's not going to get the handshake and HBO Max gift card Comeau was given when he was waived.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Not a massive stretch, and NHL chains of command are kinda blurry, but I would think if your boss asked you to keep playing a guy, you would do it instead of getting fired. Maybe Nill doesn't have that level of oversight on coaching decisions, but it feels a bit dramatic, even if it isn't crazy to think about. I think it would be the kind of last resort move you'd make as a GM if all other diplomatic options were exhausted. Especially interesting when you're as thin on D as Dallas is currently.

I think it's a less likely scenario than "We're clearing cap room for an imminent trade", but I'd probably rank it as #2 in likelihood, combined with the ones you proposed.

This is probably going too deep, but when do waivers generally get announced? It's the afternoon in Dallas, which suggests this might not have necessarily been planned, but is a sudden decision. Let's say something weird happens and someone twists an ankle in Montreal, you've now left yourself with 5D with no quick replacement, the timing is very suspect strategically.

In any case, will be periodically refreshing twitter for the rest of the day to see what happens.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Not if they're talking about him playing. He's not going to get the handshake and HBO Max gift card Comeau was given when he was waived.

They're not talking about him playing. Bowness 3 hours ago said he'd be playing in the NHL. Nill followed that up by waiving him.

Now my gut feeling is that they probably expect him to clear, and this is just a precautionary move if they are able to make a trade. He doesn't have to be assigned to the AHL right away after clearing and he can even play NHL games before getting assigned.

That said, we have no clue what happens should he officially be assigned to the AHL. That's 24 to 72 hours away.

Beyond any of that, the chances of him being a Dallas Star in 24 hours are less than 100%. Is it 99.9% ... I don't know but it's not a certainty. That means whatever Bones said hours prior to him being waived doesn't have much of an impact.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Not a massive stretch, and NHL chains of command are kinda blurry, but I would think if your boss asked you to keep playing a guy, you would do it instead of getting fired. Maybe Nill doesn't have that level of oversight on coaching decisions, but it feels a bit dramatic, even if it isn't crazy to think about. I think it would be the kind of last resort move you'd make as a GM if all other diplomatic options were exhausted. Especially interesting when you're as thin on D as Dallas is currently.

I think it's a less likely scenario than "We're clearing cap room for an imminent trade", but I'd probably rank it as #2 in likelihood, combined with the ones you proposed.

This is probably going too deep, but when do waivers generally get announced? It's the afternoon in Dallas, which suggests this might not have necessarily been planned, but is a sudden decision. Let's say something weird happens and someone twists an ankle in Montreal, you've now left yourself with 5D with no quick replacement, the timing is very suspect strategically.

All waivers are announced at 2 PM Eastern, and they're not short tonight. A guy that's been waived is still a member of the active roster with the exception of that scenario with claiming Studenic and waiving Kero where Kero immediately goes on non-roster to accommodate Studenic.

While it's uncommon, I don't think Sekera would be prevented from playing in a situation where a Top 6 D was hurt in warmups or came down with an illness.

Reactions: Captain Awesome

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I'm going to be thinking about a trade happening all day now ....

Florida cleared space and then pulled a trade a few hours later. I know that's not likely, but I'm going to be watching for it ... :laugh:
Stars - Canadiens game gonna start with Petry and Klingberg swapping jerseys. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Captain Awesome

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Also ... I don't think the Sekara waive is similar to the Comeau one. I was just saying your WWE joke wasn't so far-fetched. I think the only plausible explanation is this is creating flexibility for potentially adding a defender.

There's zero chance Nill risks his defensive depth without an alternative move planned. I'm not so comfortable to say that a deal is done, but I think at a minimum you could argue this is a calculated risk that a team probably isn't going to pluck a guy like Sekera off from waivers 3 days before the deadline when better options will probably hit waivers.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I
Also ... I don't think the Sekara waive is similar to the Comeau one. I was just saying your WWE joke wasn't so far-fetched. I think the only plausible explanation is this is creating flexibility for potentially adding a defender.

There's zero chance Nill risks his defensive depth without an alternative move planned. I'm not so comfortable to say that a deal is done, but I think at a minimum you could argue this is a calculated risk that a team probably isn't going to pluck a guy like Sekera off from waivers 3 days before the deadline when better options will probably hit waivers.
I don’t understand why he waived him unless he is trading for someone. I highly doubt Miro is feeling better by now.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I

I don’t understand why he waived him unless he is trading for someone. I highly doubt Miro is feeling better by now.
Even if he was they wouldn't have to waive sekera for him to come back, they could put Holtby on IR retroactive to his last game and have the roster spot open

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Don't bring that evil on us

I'm just going to throw this out there. Manson had Carolina on his no-trade clause because that clause required him to make the list in July, and he didn't want to go to the East. Teams require their players to fill out those clauses even when there's almost no chance they get dealt just so they have it on file.

There's probably zero chance over the summer that Faksa listed Montreal (after a deep playoff run) on that 5 team no -trade. Maybe it's plausible he could go back in a Petry trade.

I could see that as sort of close to a win. Petry's only scary at $6.25 million. If you simultaneously dumped Faksa ... I know it's unlikely ... but if you did, that's a much better deal.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
All waivers are announced at 2 PM Eastern, and they're not short tonight. A guy that's been waived is still a member of the active roster with the exception of that scenario with claiming Studenic and waiving Kero where Kero immediately goes on non-roster to accommodate Studenic.

While it's uncommon, I don't think Sekera would be prevented from playing in a situation where a Top 6 D was hurt in warmups or came down with an illness.
Got it, so we have no real indication of when this decision was made. I'm so used to guys being assigned/paper transactions for flexibility, but more near the beginning of the season, that I've never thought about this edge case.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Keep an eye on the Dallas Stars: Sounds like the decision to put Andrej Sekera on waivers on Thursday was to create salary cap flexibility so the Stars can bolster their roster ahead of the deadline. Yes, a big turnaround in Big D, from potential sellers to potential buyers in a matter of six or seven weeks.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm just going to throw this out there. Manson had Carolina on his no-trade clause because that clause required him to make the list in July, and he didn't want to go to the East. Teams require their players to fill out those clauses even when there's almost no chance they get dealt just so they have it on file.

There's probably zero chance over the summer that Faksa listed Montreal (after a deep playoff run) on that 5 team no -trade. Maybe it's plausible he could go back in a Petry trade.

I could see that as sort of close to a win. Petry's only scary at $6.25 million. If you simultaneously dumped Faksa ... I know it's unlikely ... but if you did, that's a much better deal.
If we dump Suter in said trade I'd be on board

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Got it, so we have no real indication of when this decision was made. I'm so used to guys being assigned/paper transactions for flexibility, but more near the beginning of the season, that I've never thought about this edge case.

My side that loves Chaos hopes very much that Sekera gets claimed. I just can't see Petrovic being the answer.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
If we dump Suter in said trade I'd be on board

You won't, but what if I sell you on the next GM buying him out? Maybe not this summer ... but definitely the next to help accommodate Hintz.

$783,333 for 2 years follow by 2 years of $1,433,333.

*This is not an endorsement for Petry. I don't really want to see a potential new GM deal with even more contracts next year.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm afraid to see what Nill "buys". I s2g if he adds another depth dman or 4th liner or gives up significant assets for a rental I'm gonna lose it :laugh:

Who are we thinking?

I'm gonna guess it's someone like Nick Leddy that he wants

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Please call the police if this happens, I will have passed out from the lack of oxygen as a result of laughing too hard.

If I'm going to burn a wish ... I'm going to go all in. I hope Arizona claims him and then 24 hours later retains 50% of his salary and trades him for a 4th or 5th round pick ... maybe a 3rd for maximum lolz.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'm afraid to see what Nill "buys". I s2g if he adds another depth dman or 4th liner or gives up significant assets for a rental I'm gonna lose it :laugh:

Who are we thinking?

I'm gonna guess it's someone like Nick Leddy that he wants

I could see Leddy. de Hann makes some sense since he can play both LD and RD.

I think my top choice is still Holl, but I see where Cap'n is coming from about Fleury. I just can't wrap my head around young guys with Nill ever since I saw that wild stat about acquiring a 27-year-old or younger player only 5 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad