GDT: Trade Deadline - 1PM Monday

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The best move would be to hold on to Doan and trade him at the TDL in 2016. That is where he'd fetch the most value I'd imagine.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
It's very raw for Doan. I think he'll re-embrace his role and understand how important his leadership will be to the organization over the next 12-15 months. At next year's deadline line, he'll have a decision to make.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I don't get why that quote is such a big deal. Is there more to it my phone isn't showing me? Or did he simply say his job is to pay hockey?

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Doan is done here. It's obvious. Time for a new era - heart and soul of our team, eternal yote forever but he's done.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
The best move would be to hold on to Doan and trade him at the TDL in 2016. That is where he'd fetch the most value I'd imagine.
Waiting 'til next year is the best opportunity now but...where is the conversation between Maloney and his team captain, lifetime player of "Hey Doan, I'm about to blow this team up. You want to stay on the train or get off." If Doan says, I'm in, then there's no stunned response after it happens and speculation of him now wanting out. If he says I'm out, then Doan could've been traded at the 2015 TDL and that would've been higher value then trying to move him when he's yet another year older as I don't think he's going to fetch much in 2016. I want him here 'til he retires but if he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild then that should've been figured out prior to the rebuild to determine what role (return for assets or leader during a rebuild) he was to play.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

All this does is confirm to me that Doaner is effectively done, and he just doesn't know it yet.

If this is how he's going to approach his job, then he needs to go somewhere else, and we'll just hope he wants to come back for his jersey retirement ceremony.

But if he thinks that my STH money subsidizes his professional friendships, he's sorely mistaken. I'm very disappointed to see this from him.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Waiting 'til next year is the best opportunity now but...where is the conversation between Maloney and his team captain, lifetime player of "Hey Doan, I'm about to blow this team up. You want to stay on the train or get off." If Doan says, I'm in, then there's no stunned response after it happens and speculation of him now wanting out. If he says I'm out, then Doan could've been traded at the 2015 TDL and that would've been higher value then trying to move him when he's yet another year older as I don't think he's going to fetch much in 2016. I want him here 'til he retires but if he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild then that should've been figured out prior to the rebuild to determine what role (return for assets or leader during a rebuild) he was to play.

If Doan even intimates he didn't know this was coming, he's being disingenuous to someone - either the media or himself. What else could he expect to see happen after the way the team has sucked this season? He knows what professional hockey - professional sports - is about, and when the team isn't performing changes are made.

If he can't accept losing his pals then he needs to ask for a trade out, and Maloney will be happy to accommodate him. I love Doaner, but I have no time for him to pout about this - he's already pouted through much of the season and he's either gotta sack up or move out.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So he didn't know we were blowing it up? Seems like a strange idea to not notify him and ask if he'd like to be traded too. If they did then I'm not sure what he expected.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Doan probably wasn't expecting the Yandle trade. At least not until the draft. Losing Vermette and Yandle within 48h was probably an emotional shock. Or he's just delusional and expected the team to magically start winning.

Morgan was right. Every impartial observer noticed this team didn't have it at training camp. It seems only the people directly involved deluded themselves otherwise.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Morgan was right. Every impartial observer noticed this team didn't have it at training camp. It seems only the people directly involved deluded themselves otherwise.

The problem is that organizationally everyone thought Mike Smith was the goalie of the WCF year by nature rather than by a quirk of fate. Now that he's sunk back down to his career mean (well, actually, plummeted below it by a wide margin), everyone is belatedly realizing that there was no safety net for a truly bad roster of veterans.

Maloney admitted this on the radio this morning that he was hoping that Smith would bounce back after his bad finish to last year, and when he didn't he realized just how bad the team was and that there was no way to patch it.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The problem is that organizationally everyone thought Mike Smith was the goalie of the WCF year by nature rather than by a quirk of fate. Now that he's sunk back down to his career mean (well, actually, plummeted below it by a wide margin), everyone is belatedly realizing that there was no safety net for a truly bad roster of veterans.

Maloney admitted this on the radio this morning that he was hoping that Smith would bounce back after his bad finish to last year, and when he didn't he realized just how bad the team was and that there was no way to patch it.

I don't think Smith is as bad as this season indicates since it's well below his mean. The problem is, his mean isn't too much higher. Certainly not top 10 in the league. It was a poor decision on GMDM's to assume the WCF year was the new mean. But as has been state numerous times, the team was in survival mode.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Doan's caphit will be tough to swallow for teams at the draft. We will have to retain or wait until the deadline. If I'm a cap team and a contender, I don't make an offer until next February. I'd hate to trade for him at the draft with that cap hit and have him end up ineffective next season.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Watch this video and tell me Doan isn't completely fed up with the organization. He's had time to cool down, so we can't blame this on raw emotion like the other night. Listen to his reaction after being asked about "where to go from here" and ESPECIALLY the last question that Dave Vest asks. He looks disgusted, angry, and exhausted.

This is a guy who has always been really calm, collective, and polite with the media. Towards the end you almost get the feeling he wants to punch Vest in the face. He seems jealous of Yandle going to New York. Almost like he's fantasizing on what it would be like to be in his shoes. Also mentions Yandle took it "personal."

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I don't care how upset Doan is or ifYandle took it personally. These guys have underperformed and been listless on the ice for 3 years.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Wow, we have a very emotionally sensitive team. Doan had to have seen this coming. What did he expect to happen when you're the worst team in the NHL? It's odd they all seem to be shocked by this.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Wow, we have a very emotionally sensitive team. Doan had to have seen this coming. What did he expect to happen when you're the worst team in the NHL? It's odd they all seem to be shocked by this.

To me this just reinforces the decision to rebuild. These guys were too friendly and comfortable with each other. Not enough drive to win games.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Watch this video and tell me Doan isn't completely fed up with the organization. He's had time to cool down, so we can't blame this on raw emotion like the other night. Listen to his reaction after being asked about "where to go from here" and ESPECIALLY the last question that Dave Vest asks. He looks disgusted, angry, and exhausted.

This is a guy who has always been really calm, collective, and polite with the media. Towards the end you almost get the feeling he wants to punch Vest in the face. He seems jealous of Yandle going to New York. Almost like he's fantasizing on what it would be like to be in his shoes. Also mentions Yandle took it "personal."

Actually this could be reaaly good, or bad for Doan depending on how he takes it. On the good side, if he doesn't want to leave the desert, this could be his realization that things will change and he has to play great. If he takes it bad, he either won't be extended or he'll be moved. Either way, he didn't seem happy about the situation, maybe disagreed with some personnel choices, but didn't seem bewildered by the decision to rebuild. And in fairness to him, I don't know that the team has ever gone through an overhaul in this way. This could be new for him and he's figuring out how to handle it.

When he was talking about Yandle though, I was left with the impression that Yandle felt very slighted by being moved. That bridge might be burned,

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Honestly, we should show Shane nothing but respect. He's been ridiculously good to this organization and deserves it. If he wants to move, he moves; if he wants to stay, he stays. That being said, he can't be preventing Maloney from making trades or building for the future. I think he knows that we're rebuilding (or at least now he does) and has a big decision to make. The exciting thing is if we land McEichel we're a bubble team next year. And once you're in the playoffs anything can happen. If Doan wants to join Yans in New York or Verme in Chicago, we can make that happen too.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
When he was talking about Yandle though, I was left with the impression that Yandle felt very slighted by being moved. That bridge might be burned,

I got that feeling from the post-game Rangers interview with Yandle. Something just wasn't right. Pure speculation of course, but I think that Yandle wasn't too happy he was traded/wanted an extension with AZ kind of thing.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I got that feeling from the post-game Rangers interview with Yandle. Something just wasn't right. Pure speculation of course, but I think that Yandle wasn't too happy he was traded/wanted an extension with AZ kind of thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's hard for him, he's been with this organization for almost 10 years and this wasn't him leaving on his own terms. It might have been in his head that he wasn't sure if he wanted to stay through a rebuild once his contract was up, but I'm willing to bet that he had every intention to stay until Doan retired.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

If he had punched Vest in the face it would have been the first real fire I've seen out of him all season.

And who gives a crap if Yandle took it personally? He's not coming back here. He'll either resign with New York or sign with Boston after next year - him and his "riverboat gambler" style of hockey. More power to him. He can get his jollies by flipping us all off if he scores against us next time he's in town.

I honestly can't believe this level of sad-sackery from guys getting paid upwards of $5 million a year to play a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad