GDT: Trade Deadline - 1PM Monday

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
If he had punched Vest in the face it would have been the first real fire I've seen out of him all season.

And who gives a crap if Yandle took it personally? He's not coming back here. He'll either resign with New York or sign with Boston after next year - him and his "riverboat gambler" style of hockey. More power to him. He can get his jollies by flipping us all off if he scores against us next time he's in town.

I honestly can't believe this level of sad-sackery from guys getting paid upwards of $5 million a year to play a game.

Honestly, this is almost exactly what I think too.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
If he had punched Vest in the face it would have been the first real fire I've seen out of him all season.

And who gives a crap if Yandle took it personally? He's not coming back here. He'll either resign with New York or sign with Boston after next year - him and his "riverboat gambler" style of hockey. More power to him. He can get his jollies by flipping us all off if he scores against us next time he's in town.

I honestly can't believe this level of sad-sackery from guys getting paid upwards of $5 million a year to play a game.

I dono man, when you invest your heart, soul, and time into things, it can suck to feel rejected. Sure, there is obvious displeasure on their face, but they aren't being Olli's about it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I dono man, when you invest your heart, soul, and time into things, it can suck to feel rejected. Sure, there is obvious displeasure on their face, but they aren't being Olli's about it.

Yandle can dry his tears with his Stanley Cup ring later.

As for Doan, if he's invested his heart and soul into this team, then he's gotta realize that what Maloney did is the best chance for this team to be an actual competitor at some point. If he thought the roster as constituted was magically going to start winning again based on his personal affinity for certain guys, well... he's taken one too many hoofs to the noggin.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Doan lost a lot of his performance when he stopped hitting. And that fell off a cliff years ago.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All this does is confirm to me that Doaner is effectively done, and he just doesn't know it yet.

If this is how he's going to approach his job, then he needs to go somewhere else, and we'll just hope he wants to come back for his jersey retirement ceremo
But if he thinks that my STH money subsidizes his professional friendships, he's sorely mistaken. I'm very disappointed to see this from him.

I disagree, I don't think Doan is done, but at the same time he has to understand that other people's jobs are on the line because he, Yandle, Vermette ++++ couldn't get it done. Doan has a lot of pride and that was bruised yesterday and he was knocked down from the pedestal. So be it, it happens to all of us.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Watch this video and tell me Doan isn't completely fed up with the organization. He's had time to cool down, so we can't blame this on raw emotion like the other night. Listen to his reaction after being asked about "where to go from here" and ESPECIALLY the last question that Dave Vest asks. He looks disgusted, angry, and exhausted.

Don't agree with that at all. He seemed pretty calm and lucid, honestly. He sounds like he'll leave, but it wasn't nearly as incendiary as you described it.

I think Shane's problem is that he felt his investment into the team went beyond his play on the ice and that he had some sort of sway. He doesn't. Don has to do his job, and his job currently involves trading away a lot of well liked players. Tough ****.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Get some sleep or have a beer rt - you're going more than a little bit overboard.

The "Moss is our best RW" line really needs to die with fire. It's been used out of context all season. The full quote:

"Last year he was our best winger on the right side. When we’re trying to get a puck out late in a game, he would be the most reliable guy there. (He does) things like that - things that don’t go heralded but things that help you win. Plus he’s a really good person."

Our RWs last season were Vrbata, Moss, Doan, Korpikoski, and toward the end, Erat. From that group, it's not really ridiculous to say Moss was the best at clearing the puck. I'm sure all those players are pretty good at. Maybe Moss was a notch above. In the end, he was re-signed as a cheap veteran body that won't be part of the 2016-17 squad. Anyway, that can of worms aside...

As for Doan - whatever emotion has been lost with the Vermette and Yandle deals will be completely rejuvenated when this team has a McEichel next season. Remember all the jokes about Crosby living with Mario Lemieux and babysitting his kids, etc? That will be McEichel next year, living with the Doan family. Things are going to be a helluva lot more exciting next year in Arizona, and Doan will definitely be a part of it.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Yandle can dry his tears with his Stanley Cup ring later.

As for Doan, if he's invested his heart and soul into this team, then he's gotta realize that what Maloney did is the best chance for this team to be an actual competitor at some point. If he thought the roster as constituted was magically going to start winning again based on his personal affinity for certain guys, well... he's taken one too many hoofs to the noggin.

Doan has his heart and soul invested in hockey in Arizona and all of Arizona. After all, he is our true ambassador for hockey in Arizona. It's his very deep investment why he's still with the team. If and when he leaves it's because it had to take a lot from him to ask for a trade and just chase the cup and even then there is no guarantee that he'll win a cup as a player.

I'm just saying this because I see a lot of Non-Coyotes Fans say "Why is Doan still with the team?" "Is he stupid?" It's just not easy to get want to get up and leave given what he has done for us. Sure it's not a cup or a cup final appearance, but he is the key reason today why hockey is still reverent here in the state. While winning a championship is nice, at the same time players often find themselves in taking on a different role than what he/she expects in their career. In Doan's case, he's going to be remembered more for better or worse what he did in Arizona than if he managed to win cups the rest of his playing career with another team.

/rant

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Watch this video and tell me Doan isn't completely fed up with the organization. He's had time to cool down, so we can't blame this on raw emotion like the other night. Listen to his reaction after being asked about "where to go from here" and ESPECIALLY the last question that Dave Vest asks. He looks disgusted, angry, and exhausted.

This is a guy who has always been really calm, collective, and polite with the media. Towards the end you almost get the feeling he wants to punch Vest in the face. He seems jealous of Yandle going to New York. Almost like he's fantasizing on what it would be like to be in his shoes. Also mentions Yandle took it "personal."

I sure didn't sense that from Doan. He may been a bit pissed at Vest for asking stupid questions but the smile is coming back. I think reality may have set in but he is handling it pretty well. But if is indeed fed up, so be it, it's a business.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Doan has massively underperformed.
It's all a matter of what our expectations are for him are and our expectations should be decreasing commensurate with his increase in age. I don't expect a 38 year old Doan to perform at the same level as a 37, 36, 35, etc. year old Doan. He is getting old. He's good to have around as a 3rd or 4th line winger with locker room leadership, that's his value now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doan lost a lot of his performance when he stopped hitting. And that fell off a cliff years ago.

I totally disagree with this. Doan may not hit as much as he once did, but he leads our forwards in hits as a 38 yo. and it's not even close.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I've never been a giant Doan fan (although he seems like a genuinely great guy, and good captain). But even I think he's earned his right to write his own ending in AZ. If he wants out, he's out. If he wants to stay, he stays.

If we're going to out and out speculate about Doan being frustrated, maybe he's not frustrated that one of the worst teams in the league traded core players for futures. Maybe he's frustrated that Maloney fed everyone a line this off season about building around this core for a playoff push and instead dawdled and incompetanked his way through the season until it was too late to do anything but blow it up.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Doan will make peace with this. He may ask out. That's his right. He's a beloved player but the core was not working. Changes needed to be made.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
I've never been a giant Doan fan (although he seems like a genuinely great guy, and good captain). But even I think he's earned his right to write his own ending in AZ. If he wants out, he's out. If he wants to stay, he stays.

If we're going to out and out speculate about Doan being frustrated, maybe he's not frustrated that one of the worst teams in the league traded core players for futures. Maybe he's frustrated that Maloney fed everyone a line this off season about building around this core for a playoff push and instead dawdled and incompetanked his way through the season until it was too late to do anything but blow it up.

What a beautiful word. This one word encapsulates the recent tenure of GMDM and I encourage you to register it with Urban Dictionary, slap it on a t-shirt with a Coyote logo and provide shirts to Coyote fans in attendance at the draft. "Arizona Coyotes and Connor McDavid: NHL, You've been incompetanked! Boom!"

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Email from my STH rep today trying to keep people from jumping off any ledges ... figure the bolded part will be of interest to everyone.

Dear ck26
With the NHL trade deadline yesterday, it’s no secret the Coyotes have made changes that will affect hockey in the desert for years to come. The message from yesterday is clear; our ownership and management are committed to creating long term success in the Valley. Overall, our future is bright with many young, talented players on our roster and several high draft picks that will help us build a perennial playoff team that will be successful for many years to come.

League wide, the Coyotes have been declared a “winning” team in yesterday’s transactions. Included below is a summary of yesterday’s trades and quotes from national media outlining the success of our trades. Full article links are included by clicking on the name above each quote.

Also, please join Coyotes Co-Owner, President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc and Executive Vice President and General Manager Don Maloney on March 14th for a Town Hall meeting at Gate 4 on the plaza outside of Gila River Arena from 3-4pm. Questions regarding the team and the future of the Coyotes are welcome and encouraged!

Summary of the Coyotes 2015 trade deadline transactions:

Scott Burnside, ESPN
GM Don Maloney was a beast during the deadline period, picking up a prospect from the Blues for Zbynek Michalek, and a first-round pick and a prospect for Vermette. And, in the biggest windfall of all, a first-round pick, a second-round pick, a top prospect (Anthony Duclair) and defenseman John Moore from the New York Rangers for Keith Yandle, a player who really didn't fit into the Coyotes' long-term plans with the emergence of Oliver Ekman-Larsson as one of the game's premier offensive defensemen, and minor league defenseman Chris Summers. The assets, when factored in with other young assets such as Max Domi (who played with Duclair on the top line in the last World Junior Championship for gold medal-winning Canada), along with possibly landing super-prospects Jack Eichel or Connor McDavid, suggest the path back to relevance isn't as long or meandering as the team's play this season suggests.

Dan Rosen, NHL.com
Maloney traded two players he didn't intend to re-sign after the season (Vermette and Michalek) and Yandle to acquire top prospect Duclair, decent prospects Dahlbeck and Letunov, two first-round draft picks and a second-round pick.
The Coyotes have two first-round picks in this year's draft and two in 2016. They also have Duclair, who played in the NHL this season before teaming with Coyotes prospect Max Domi on the first line to help Canada win gold in the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship. Duclair and Domi could be future first-line players in Arizona.
This is exactly what the Coyotes needed to do. Maloney used the assets he had to speed up a rebuilding process he hopes won't take any longer than two or three years.

Kevin Allen, USA Today
By giving up Yandle, Vermette and Zbynek Michalek, the Coyotes will have two first-round picks this season and two in 2016 They also picked up Rangers young forward Anthony Duclair and defenseman John Moore, plus prospects Maxim Letunov and Klas Dahlbeck and a second-round pick. It was an impressive haul for a team looking to push the reset button.

Adam Gretz, CBS Sports
This team wasn't going anywhere with these guys anyway, and in return they at least have the potential to build something special in the future. By retaining salary in the Yandle and Michalek trades they were able to essentially buy some high-upside prospects in Anthony Duclair and Maxim Letunov. Combine them with Max Domi, and the potential to get a Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel at the top of the 2015 draft (and their lottery changes are only going to increase if they keep losing the rest of this season) and there is at least a pretty solid prospect base there.

Nicholas Goss, NESN
The Coyotes, a team in the early stages of a full rebuild, acquired several quality assets for the future. They added two first-round picks, giving them two for both the 2015 and 2016 drafts. Duclair, acquired from the New York Rangers in the Yandle trade, is a top prospect with first-line potential. Dahlbeck, acquired from the Chicago Blackhawks in the Vermette deal, is a defensive defenseman with a high hockey IQ and plays a physical game. Arizona is in for a long rebuild, but it's creating a solid foundation of prospects and picks to surround established core players such as Oliver Ekman-Larsson with other elite talent.

Adam Proteau, The Hockey News
By the time 3 p.m. Eastern rolled around, the Coyotes' NHL roster looked about as barren as the Arizona desert, but once they lose the grand majority of their 19 remaining games this season, they're going to get a very good draft pick - perhaps one of phenoms Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel - and in a few years, this team could be a legitimate Cup threat. But to get to that stage, Maloney had to clear the decks and pull in as much in return as possible. Hard to argue he could've done any better.

Ian McLaren, The Score
After a previous deal with Chicago involving Antoine Vermette, the Coyotes now have four picks in the first two rounds of this season's draft, including what's likely to be a top-two selection of their own. After some short-term pain, these dogs may be howling quite loudly sooner than later.

James O'Brien, Pro Hockey Talk
The Coyotes shifted into sellers far more abruptly than the Sabres, yet their takeaway has been resounding. They landed an enviable haul for Antoine Vermette and Keith Yandle while "gently nudging" their way to the cellar by moving Devan Dubnyk before he won them too many games.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Yes my word is catching on!

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I totally disagree with this. Doan may not hit as much as he once did, but he leads our forwards in hits as a 38 yo. and it's not even close.

Doan has been hitting a lot up until he had Rocky MtN fever. Hasn't been quite the same since..

I remember he tied an NHL record for the most hits in a game when he started creaming Los Angeles that was the year before Rocky MTN Fever.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Don't agree with that at all. He seemed pretty calm and lucid, honestly. He sounds like he'll leave, but it wasn't nearly as incendiary as you described it.

I think Shane's problem is that he felt his investment into the team went beyond his play on the ice and that he had some sort of sway. He doesn't. Don has to do his job, and his job currently involves trading away a lot of well liked players. Tough ****.

I sure didn't sense that from Doan. He may been a bit pissed at Vest for asking stupid questions but the smile is coming back. I think reality may have set in but he is handling it pretty well. But if is indeed fed up, so be it, it's a business.

Agree to disagree. The only smiling i saw was when he was talking about joking with Yandle and the sarcastic smile he gave Vest at the end.

I see more frustration and disgust in his face than I've ever seen before. This is the second interview in a row where he seems fed up and doesn't really seem to want to talk about the team. Second interview in a row where he's taken a subtle jab at management, too. I'm not and never have been one of the crazies who's believed at any point that Doan has wanted out of AZ, but I see a drastic change in him.

This Doan, who is talking to the media about "not wanting to discuss his future" and "not his choice to rebuild" has to know that the big mainstream sports media sites are going to pickup his obvious frustration and print it for the world to see.
This is the same guy who vehemently defended any bad press this organization got from the mainstream media any chance he could a couple years ago.

He has always been our number one supporter/advocate/voice. Now, (as unintentional as it may be) he's the one who is creating the bad press. Making it seem like the organization that he's been so loyal to is completely disregarding his feelings.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm sure not going to **** all over Yandle now that he's gone like some have. He was a great player here with mostly garbage forwards. He did what he had to do to try and help us win. I still believe the best course of action would have been to sign him to a long term extension. Hope what they got for him turns out to be better but I'm not confident it will.

As for Doan, he's 38, human and loves it here. Of course he's going to be down about the team rebuilding. He knows there's very little chance he will be on a contending team again unless he leaves. Some of you are making way too much out of this. He's just disappointed. He'll get over it or move on. Give him a bit of time. He at least deserves that.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What a beautiful word. This one word encapsulates the recent tenure of GMDM and I encourage you to register it with Urban Dictionary, slap it on a t-shirt with a Coyote logo and provide shirts to Coyote fans in attendance at the draft. "Arizona Coyotes and Connor McDavid: NHL, You've been incompetanked! Boom!"

Someone else gets credit for that, not me. haha I saw it earlier this week and stole it, but I don't remember who from :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad